• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

seating caps on revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's my firm belief that chainfires can be caused by loose-fitting caps. to seat them firmly on the nipples I place them on makeing sure they are on straight then push with thumb.
after all caps are on I point the revolver downrange and CAREFULLY lower the hammer on each in sequence and push on the hammer with thumb pressure, I can 'feel' the cap seating. so far no accidental fires after K's of loadings.

I have very strong thumbs. That little extra "push" you give the caps I do with my right thumb, and I can feel the caps seat onto the nipples really snug! I too have done this thousands of times...I just literally donated around 35 empty cap tins to the Black Powder League Chairman for use in our upcoming League Novelty Shoots.

Sometimes you can just "feel" when things are right! :thumbsup:

Dave

.....I point the revolver downrange and CAREFULLY lower the hammer on each in sequence and push on the hammer with thumb pressure,......

That's what I do. The way I figure it, should one go off, at least the ball will go down the barrel, and safely downrange.

I have had some caps split doing this but wonder if I had them started on straight or cocked to one side or the other was the cause. maybe a dozen or so splits.

R.M. said:
.....I point the revolver downrange and CAREFULLY lower the hammer on each in sequence and push on the hammer with thumb pressure,......

That's what I do. The way I figure it, should one go off, at least the ball will go down the barrel, and safely downrange.

Yeah, that's what I do too.

:idunno: had the same thing happen on three #11 cci caps, :shake: what was yours? (was using my thumb to put caps on my rifle nip, ya i know this is a pistol thread, but the main topic is using thumb to put caps on,) my rail don't hold the caps no more, the front spring is weak, its one of them 10-11 rails any thought's on how to fix it?

Somewhere I saw a photo of a thumb that had set off a cap on a revolver. Had a fair size 'V' shaped chunk missing out of the end, nail included. The photo was taken after it had healed and the damage looked significant.

Also, there is a video of a test of an out-of-battery shot with a fuse instead of a cap. It looked like you could throw the ball harder than it shot. No damage to the gun either. I can't remember which website I saw it on but someone here might know which one I'm thinking of.

Not saying that either of these are safe, just that sometimes things get blown out of scale what with it happening to a friend of a friend etc.

I do seat with my thumb but I think of that photo every time I do. Why is it I never remember to make a push-stick before I get to the range?

ouch! i have a "cap setter" i use for just that, made from a roosters spur, can also use the back side of cap rail, don't take much to seat them, i also fixed my cap rail, it has the hex head screws on the spring so i removed them, used 2 needle nose pliers, held the spring bar with one. bent the bar just back of the bent part were the cap would be held,a few tries latter, good as new! :thumbsup:

Well, you guys have made me re-think my position! I'll definitely be making a push-stick before my next BP session!

CaptainKirk said:
Well, you guys have made me re-think my position! I'll definitely be making a push-stick before my next BP session!
I've been thinking the same, but I don't like the idea of losing feel with a stick. What do you guys think about using a heavy leather thimble while seating caps? I've never had one pop, but I would think that a chance of injury would be severely reduced, while still maintaining the feel of proper seating.

I agree that if anything can happen, it will. However I think one can be so "safe" as to be a little silly. Who here uses a stick to seat caps on their percussion long guns? Even if I use a capper, I give it a push with my thumb to insure it is seated firmly. I would think , between a stick or a thumb pressing on a cap, the stick would be more likely to fire it off, than a thumb would.

one of the shooters was using her thumb nail, till it broke off, i asked the range boss if he had heard of anyone getting a "black thumb" he said he did not, but some have got a black toe from steeping on some caps, sandals and shooting do not mix :shocked2: if i drop a cap i look for it, it happens when i load that cap rail, may be i'll start a new thread, "problems with cap rails"

I'll still use my thumb--I'm afraid I'd be clumsy with a stick and then I would have an AD!

I've never seen or heard of anything like this happening and I belong to 3 clubs that shoot black powder........

I just turned-over to our League Chairman close to 40 empty cap tins for use as Novelty Shoot targets. That's probably a couple year's worth of caps, and I've been doing this for quite a while........

Just checked in both Uberti and Pietta instruction books. Neither tell you to use some applicator to seat the caps, and Pietta especially is known for instructing light loads so you don't blow-up their revolvers, I.E. 15-20 grains in a .44 C&B revolver.......

I think I've said enough about this, except to say that if anyone feels that their revolvers aren't safe anymore, I'll gladly take them off your hands for proper disposal! :haha:

Dave

I tried a little test today.
I took the old (factory) Uberti nipples & put them back on the pistol. These ere a royal PITA so I figured if I made these work I could make anything work.

*This test was done entirely without anything in the chambers, before someone has a heart attack about how I tested.

I set the #10 caps on them with a capper, as firmly as I was able. As before 4 fired 2 did not. OK so we still have iffy nipples. The 2 duds did fire with the second hammer strike, as before.

So I now KNOW the 2 bad ones.

I set 6 fresh caps again with the tool. Then I did the "seating with the hammer" as described here earlier. All 6 fired first time the hammer struck them. It was a bit klunky with the Remmy hammer's rear contour, but it was doable.

3rd test.
Set another set of caps with the capper & really really crunch down on the hammer, none pre ignited. After firing them I tried a couple of #11 caps. These are too loose on the nipple & won't stay in place with any kind of finger, or tool pressure, they do bottom out so the compound is directly between the hammer face & the end of the nipple. Then I applied a lot of thumb pressure! They did not fire.

Based on this I think that for CCI caps at least, the concern about firing prematurely when being fitted to the nipples is exaggerated at the very least. :bull: I really pushed the limits of capping here & nothing happened.

Yes, Mommy I was wearing eye & ear protection & thick leather gloves, just in case. :blah:

close to 40 empty cap tins for use as Novelty Shoot targets.
Wow, 40! I don't shot that much (yet, but it is growing)
I'm going to have to wait for ever to achieve my goal of having enough empties to put all my "stuff" in when I go shooting.
So far I have 2, one for actual caps & 1 "spare" where I keep the old #10 nipples for emergencies.
Now all I need is about 3 more for wads, grease & so on & I'll actually get all I need in my belt pouch. :rotf:

Interesting test! I guess now you have a better appreciation for what I wrote about accidental cap ignition. Your testing wound-up proving me out, so I guess my right thumb is still safe :thumbsup: .

Thanks for conducting it safely as well as thoroughly.

As far as empty cap tins goes, if you need some, I might have a couple laying-around.....a PT with your address could get them to you by Easter :) .

All the best!

Dave

Tests are interesting, but in the end they're just evidence; empirical evidence to be sure, but still just a piece of evidence. Not proof.

Modern percussion caps are impact sensitive. They react to shock phenomenon, unlike previous caps that could react to friction (heat) or high pressure. Modern caps are very much less likely to react to thumb or hammer pressure or friction.

Your test is another piece of evidence that the chemical information is being correctly applied. It's still a good idea to exercise some caution when seating caps, however. They are 'explosive' devices and can injure; at the very least you'd suffer some pain. Just use enough force to firmly seat the cap and you should be ok.

Proof is comprised of a lot of evidence. :hmm:

Safety was a concern, which is why there was the ear, eye & hand protection with JUST a cap being tested.

I don't know how to test any more cautiously than this, but I do now know it's considerably harder (even if not impossible) to seat a cap using the hammer with reasonable caution.

Just evidence yep! But I now know more than I did before the test. :v

Oh, I agree. I didn't mean to sound like it wasn't a good test or was meaningless. I guess what I should have said was a good, solid piece of evidence. And I don't think you were in any danger; my caution was to the general public not to overdo the force bit.

Back