• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Semi-custom rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pepperbelly said:
What do ya'll think of THIS rifle for sale on this site?

Jim
What it has to do with "Carolina" I don't know. I'd be looking for something with a swamped barrel that doesn't have a L&R lock.

"What do ya'll think of THIS rifle for sale on this site?"

That is a good price on a gun but I would not be to quick to hang a school or local name on it from what the pics show,it would be post 1800 from the looks of it.

Although TVM makes a decent rifle I'm not a great fan of the .40. To large for most small game hunting as it will cause excessive meat damage. To small for big game, even southern deer. Illegal for big game in most states and where it is legal are you REALLY going to use a .395 pill on elk? For target it is the minimum for most competative situations and too easily effected by wind at 50+ yards. Over all not my first choice.

John

I have to agree. It's a nice custom rifle allright. But for the local wildlife here in Texas, Pepper, I'd get a .50 cal at least.
For re-enacting and small game, a .40's OK. But if you try to put a an angry javelina down with it, well, hope you plan on carrying a sidearm. Find yourself a .50 cal Pepperbelly. BTW, you are doing good looking at the classifieds. It's the best place to get a good custom gun.

I won't be going after deer with it. Amost all of my shooting will be targets, etc. I may go after squirrels, rabbits, etc. up on the LBJ National Grasslands. If I run across a Jackalope that the .40 can't handle- forget it. I'm running!

Jim

:grin:

Well then, I would buy that sucker if I were you.
Besides, I guess you could always have the barrel changed or bored to a larger caliber later. If that rifle strikes your fancy, grab it while you can. maybe if your ever down this direction, you can hook up with me, Huntin Dawg, Davy, and Cheyenne and do some shooting! Dawg needs to break in his new horn anyway. :haha:

I don't know; the .40 is probably a little better than given credit for. If it's legal I think it would work okay on deer at ranges normally encountered in forest settings. The .40 surpasses the .22 Hornet in energy and I've taken a number of deer with the Hornet including one large buck. It would not be my first choice but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use it under the proper circumstances. My favorite deer rifle is a .45 but I also own a .40 which I like very much.

With that being said I think if deer hunting is in the works, a .45 or larger would serve better. For small/medium game & targets the .40 is fine. For deer, the .45 (or larger) is called for.

Looks like a leman instead of a carolina rifle. I'd ask the old boy what it measures across the flats, If its bigger than 13/16 it might be a little heavy. If you are going to get it, I would also ask the guy if he would give you a day or to to try it out. That way you will know how it sparks and shoots. Dew

I am looking around for info on Leman flintlocks. What makes it look like a Leman to you?
It seems as if the late English locks were used on Leman rifles, Tennessee rifles, Southern Mountain rifles, Poor Boy rifles, and probably a few others I haven't found yet.
The info I have is just from a quick and dirty Google search, so don't get on my case too bad if it isn't right.
I like the looks of that rifle, and the caliber seems good for what I will be doing. I can't afford a $2k historically accurate to the last screw rifle. On the other hand I really would be happier with something more than a TC Hawken or GPR.
I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just a poor ignorant 51 year old newbie.

Thanks,
Jim

Hey Jim,

Don't feel bad, I have been following your thread with enthusiasm. I,too, am a 51 year old newbie here. Though I've been shooting all my life (from 12 yrs old at least) black powder has only in the last decade come into my shooting world and it's here to stay.

That said, I've found the hawken style mountain rifle for me - the JBMR in .50 cal. Superb accuracy and styled to my tastes.

Which brings me to your thread. I'm flintlock shopping and want to learn as much as possible to make the best choice - first. Although my first ML is a T/C NE, I'm going to jump to custom with the first flinter. Your thread has gotten good posts and is assisting me as well.

Good luck.

Steve

PS- I looked long and hard at the rifle you've listed from on here and am passing on it for at least .50 cal. Other parameters are Large Siler lock, Colerain swamped barrel around 42-44 inches, decent curly maple of 75 percent or so and some other personal touches. I may go with a finished purchase if the right gun shows up or commission an 'in the white' assembled gun from a reputable vendor, or a mostly inlet kit. We'll see as I narrow my search.

Thanks Steve. I too like the JBMR.
As far as this rifle- do you feel it is priced about right? It doesn't seem out of line to me, but what I know could fill a thimble. Barely. Maybe. It might be just half full. :grin:

Jim

Jim,

Hard to beat. I see it has had 560 plus views and is still available. Ask for closeup pics of inletting or the lock, tang, thimble, buttplate, etc. If you're serious and I see deer aren't going to be the quarry then the 40 cal shouldn't be a problem. All my stuff is 50 so far and I plan on staying with 50 or go bigger like up to 58 or 62 max. See if the seller will toss in shipping or have a three day inspection. Worth a shot.
Steve

we are trading and will both ship our respective rifles.
I think I will be happy with it.
Of course I will probably get another. I am starting to believe they are like Lays chips.

Jim

Be careful Pepper, it's contagious. I have one Late Lancaster right now and Oldarmy is currentlly making me a LOTM Lehigh rifle with a 50" barrel. Once you start, it's hard to stop. :grin:

pepperbelly said:
I am looking around for info on Leman flintlocks. What makes it look like a Leman to you?
It seems as if the late English locks were used on Leman rifles, Tennessee rifles, Southern Mountain rifles, Poor Boy rifles, and probably a few others I haven't found yet.
The info I have is just from a quick and dirty Google search, so don't get on my case too bad if it isn't right.
I like the looks of that rifle, and the caliber seems good for what I will be doing. I can't afford a $2k historically accurate to the last screw rifle. On the other hand I really would be happier with something more than a TC Hawken or GPR.
I am not trying to be argumentative. I am just a poor ignorant 51 year old newbie.

Thanks,
Jim

The reason someone said that the Rifle looked like a Leman to them, is because it has a Leman Buttplate on it. If you go to Trak of the Wolf's website and search Plains Rifle and Leman Buttplates you will find the buttplate as W.E. Leman buttplate (BP-LEMAN-I) or at least it looks like it to me.

And I like it. Just wish it was a 50 cal.

Robert

Pepperbelly,No one is trying to get on your case and if that is the way my post came off,then I apoligize. I didn't mean it that way. I just want you to be happy with it and know what you have if you get it. FWIW it looks like a leman to me because of all the furniture on it. The lock ,buttplate,trigger gaurd,and the general shape of the stock. Check out track of the wolf or tennessee valley muzzleloading and you will see what I mean. You also might check the price of a new one at TVM and compare to give yourself an idea of what they go for. Good luck with whatever you do. Dew

Thanks dew, and no, I didn't feel you were on my case.
I looked at some rifles and it does appear to have the Leman furniture. I especially noticed the buttplate and trigger guard. The lemans also seem to use the late English lock. The Lemans I saw pics of all had patch boxes though. This has the plain stock of a Southern
I will be trading for this riflMountain rifle- sort of.e so the value of his and the value of mine may not reflect exactly what a cash price would be, but I think we will both be happy.
It seems, from what little reading I have been able to do, that the Leman rifles were made for trade- which is really a coincidence considering I am trading for it.
Can you tell me if there is a downside to the Leman rifles? Or were you just wanting me to know it wasn't a Carolina rifle like I was told at first?
I appreciate all the help- in case I didn't say that before.

Jim

Wouiiieeeeee !!!!!!!!!!! Boy I am redfaced !! :redface: I had thought that I was told that the rifle was what I posted . :v But when I traded for it I didnt care, I just liked its looks and the fact it was a .40 cal. ! I like the sub calibers for shooting squeaks and chucks . And like I said in the ad if it were 15" lop for my petite 6'6" 280# frame it wouldnt be on the block :wink:

Jim , I think you will be quite pleased with the dainty little thing :thumbsup: I know I will be with my new toy :grin:

I am sure I will be happy with it. In the future I may find a period correct rifle- if I ever figure out what period I really want to be into.
I am not worried about this not being a Carolina rifle. I wasn't interested in it because of that. I basically just wanted a quality flintlock longrifle. This looks like it will do that nicely.

Jim

Back