• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting the Brown Bess for a first time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 12416

32 Cal.
Reaction score
For a while I am considering shooting a smoothbore longarm, because I find the flintlock mechanism interesting and it is quite different from what I have been shooting before.

But my friends in the black powder shooting told me that these are heavy (difficult) guns for a small woman :yakyak: (but in the days of the Bess the man were not that big too...). And they told me stories about getting hurt by the blast and pain in shoulder and cheek because of the big powderloads and looking over the barrel in quite a different way. Quite different from my percussion squirell rifle or my breechloader Trapdoor (30 grain). And they almost convinced me of the idea of ´too much gun for you´.

But this weekend I got the opportunity to shoot a Brown Bess, 80 grains powder load.

And immediately after the first shot I just knew:my friends are wrong! I absolutely gonna love shooting a gun like this! Yes, it was very different from my other weapons, but it also was fun! Yes I did feel the gun in the shoulder, but no it was not painful and I did not hurt my cheek.

So I now have decided to get me a flintlock fire arm. I am choosing between the Pedersoli Brown Bess or the Pedersoli Harpers Ferry 1816. These are comparable in weight and length. Caliber of the last is a little smaller and I like its looks a little more :redface: . But on the Pedersoli Brown Bess I can find some experiences from shooters/owners to help make my decision. I do not from the Harpers Ferry. Is there anyone who has shot this gun? Or should I definetly or surely stay with the Bess?

Barbara:

Welcome to the world of the big "boom"! Good for you for ignoring the unwise counsel of your friends and discovering for yourself the joys of the large discharge! :hatsoff:

As far as your choice, I'd suggest you go with your heart - just like the guys do. The Harpers Ferry is a handsome piece, a fine addition to any gun rack. And if you like its looks, well, so much the better. Why settle for something you might think you "should" have, when there's something available that you really want? :confused:

If you have no re-enacting concerns about using the "proper" weapon, then by all means go with the piece that pleasures your eye!

When I bought my Bess, everyone thought I was nuts. I'm not a reenactor, I'd never bothered with muzzleloaders and it's not an original, but whenever I bring it to the range, invariably everyone there comes over to my lane to take a look at it and everyone who has shot it so far comes away from the experience with a big dopey looking grin on their face. The only other weapon I've seen that got the same reaction at the range was a Barrett M99 and that didn't last long since everyone got tired of the muzzle blast from that beast really fast.

Get whichever one appeals to you and I'm sure you'll have fun with it.

i think its funny when u touch off a round, and what was a busy area gunfire is now just u shooting and making noise.... no one else is shooting because they are use to having a perfect sight line and waiting for smoke to pass. it works better when the humidity high... just keep ur powder dry.. :grin: :grin:

I have an 1816, and a friend has a Brown Bess.

We give each a lot of c@*p over each others guns all the time, but the fact is that there is very little to differentiate the workings of these two guns.

Basically, I would say to get the one that fits you best.

At the risk of starting a fracas, they are pretty much the same gun.

PS: You are right, the 1816 is much better looking than the Bess. :wink:

Greetings,Barbara,welcome to the forums!It's good to have some women onboard,shooting isn't just for the men.I have a Pedersoli Brown Bess and should you choose that musket you will be owning an excellent arm.The exact can be said for the Pedersoli 1816.I don't have the 1816 but I sure wish I did.Not to the exclusion of my Bess but in addition! :wink: The flintlock principles will remain the same.Since you like the 1816 I would suggest you get that one,you can always get a Bess later!Best regards,J.A.

Welcome Barbara. 80 grains in a gun like that is a stern but not at all hard recoil. Definitely go for the gun you like the looks of and in most cases you won't be disappointed.

Both are great guns, so it is a matter of what you intend to do with the gun and your own tastes. The Brown Bess I am assuming you are considering is .775 cal or .750 cal and the Harper's Ferry is .690 cal. Both a little over 9 pounds. Those are large bores for sure.

Do you want the gun just for the range or do you have other intentions?

I shoot a Bess w/80 grains and a .72 ball and I like it a lot. My only advice is if you go with either one; try and find a mold! Them big ol' lead marbles get real expensive real fast! ($32/100 here in ohio!) Welcome to the forum! :v

I have read many threads from people who bought
Harpers and they wanted to know how to make them
fire. The locks are "bashers" and I have worked
on three. They all work well now but did require
much work. I sold the rifle but kept the two hand
guns..I love my Bess.Required very little work.

Bought the Pedersoli-made Brown Bess a few years back and have never regretted that choice !!!

I have read many threads from people who bought
Harpers and they wanted to know how to make them
fire. The locks are "bashers" and I have worked
on three. They all work well now but did require
much work. I sold the rifle but kept the two hand
guns..I love my Bess.Required very little work.

I have not had any problems with the lock on mine. I did however have to have the frizzen hardened almost immediately after I started shooting it. In fairness, I have had the same problem with every Italion production gun I've owned.

pappa bear said:
Welcome to the world of the big "boom"!

I allready do :grin: . I shoot a miniature cannon (diameter roundball 1 inch) as well :thumbsup: .

If you have no re-enacting concerns about using the "proper" weapon, then by all means go with the piece that pleasures your eye!

No re-enactment plans (allthough I admire the people who do and who go very accurate in this :applause: ). But I will use the gun for competition, discipline called Miquelet, and fun. Not for hunting, we do not know such traditions here, you even need a special license for hunting.

Barbara, I have a Bess Carbine from Pedersoli. That has a little shorter barrel and weighs a little less and it might be easier for you to handle. I find it's shorter barrel easier to load than my smoothbores with 48" barrels. My Bess Carbine shoots a .715 ball over 90 grains of 2F, but I imagine it would do just as well over 80 grains.

There has been a lot of discussion on this Forum as to whether the Bess Carbine is a "fantasy" gun or not. There were Carbines made but they were more likely a .65 or .66 caliber. If strict authenticity isn't a requirement go with the Bess Carbine, I have won a number of shooting matches with mine. The trigger pull on all of these military reproductions will require extensive work before you can get the pull down to a reasonable level.

Many Klatch

It is outstanding to see a Wee Lass shooting a musket! I used to shoot the Miguelet when I was on the US International team about 100 years ago
( it feels like it! ) Back in the late 80s the number one musket in competition was the 1816. The Besses did not seem to stand up to that 50 meter French target. It is easier to plane out a.670 ball than a .715. The 1816 has three barrel bands. This helps "triangulate" a sight picture
The front band has a sight, then the two other bands and the tang screw. After shooting it a while you will figure out how to align these points for a sight picture. It is much easier than trying to figure out a sight picture on a big long round barrel with only a bayonet lug for a front sight!
While wakling on the Miguelet line back then, you didn't see any Brown Bess muskets in competition!

Again, welcome to the world of big bore military
muskets HUZZAH!!!
:bow: :bow: :bow:

Howdy!

Stumblin Wolf said:

""I shoot a Bess w/80 grains and a .72 ball and I like it a lot. My only advice is if you go with either one; try and find a mold! Them big ol' lead marbles get real expensive real fast! ($32/100 here in ohio!) Welcome to the forum!""

I looked at Track of the Wolf and they do have these molds, but they are Lymans and expensive to me. Are there others available?

Thanks!

James

There are cheaper molds out there, but they are made of aluminum and don't last as well as the Lyman molds which are made from steel. You get what you pay for.

Definitely go with the steel molds. Aluminum blocks can be had for less but it is definitely a case of getting what you pay for. With reasonable care steel blocks will last several lifetimes.

Not sure if the Miguelet allows a slightly smaller caliber but I have an Officers Bess from this firm http://www.northstarwest.com/ The gun is excellant to fire and very accurate. Its a little smaller than a full size Bess and the workmanship is second to none.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff Tanner in England makes brass moulds in any exact diameter you need. His moulds do not have sprue cutters and you have to provide a set of double cavity mould handles. The Lee 90005 costs around $15.00 I have a bunch of his moulds I believe they cost under $40. I have them from .388
to .685.

Back