• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting without shot or ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, sorry about the name mixup, who was the guy who picked up the .44 loaded with blanks and said to all around, "look, everybody, I'm going to kill myself", then proceded to do so? Oh, well, the main thing here is just be safe. I know that in some re-enactments we are not supposed to point our guns at each other, but to the side. The crowd does not see, and it keeps the rest of us safe...

Regards,

Ivery

There was an actor who did a show about time travel. There was also a young boy who got stuck traveling with him. On the set He said not to worry it was loaded with blanks. When he put the M/L pistol to his head and pulled the trigger it sent a fragment of his skull into his brain.
Sorry I don't remember His name or the name of the show. It was on maybe 10 or 12 years ago.

Ahhhhhhhh.....You are talking about Jon-Erik Hexum! He played Phineas Bogg in the short-lived TV series "Voyagers!". During his filiming a show for FOX called "Cover Up", this happened................
"He was playing around with a .44 Magnum to be used in the scene. At around 5:15 p.m. he put the pistol (according to witnesses, it was loaded with three empty cartridges and two blanks) up to his right temple. As he pulled the trigger he smiled, and supposedly said, "Let's see if I got myself with this one." He was apparently unaware that at close range, a blank can cause great damage. And damage it was. The explosion drove a quarter-sized piece of his skull far into his brain. Turns out that the blank was packed with paper inside, and it went straight into his temple and made a bone chip lodge in his brain. Killed by paper."

A Darwin award winner for sure.
Jack

Yes I agree Musketman
BLANKS CAN KILL!!! During re-enactments we can't shoot under 20 yards from the Yanks... we also Never ram, never take direct aim under 20 yards (besides law suits were not common in 1770, they are today)...
Also Flash from buddies pan can take out or damage an eye. Burn his face or pock mark it for sure. This "newbie" should also install a flash guard to protect his buddy standing beside in line (OK or in the case of Yankee Militia running away with him :kid:). They wrap around the pan and redirects the spout of hot burning powder that sprays out the touch hole. It prevents it from travelling straight towards the person on the right side.
Even the British army started to do that in 1775. It lowered the amount of Troops lost to line damage, and assisted them to stand fast when they shot their vollies. The flash guards,or pan guards are cheap 7 to 15 bucks Yankee at any event... you must remember... as it already has been said it's all fun to some one looses an eye so...
BE SAFE, PLAY SAFE period!!!
Best regards
Loyalist Dawg Q.R. 1776 "LONG LIVE THE KING!!!" :hatsoff:

Back