• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sight slot blank

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCOPE

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows where to purchase a slot blank for the euro cut on Lyman muzzle loaders? Thanks.

You lost me.

A slot blank? :confused:

Maybe if you describe what you are trying to do with it or what it does I might be able to figure it out?

You can get the Lyman one for the 3/8" dovetail from midwayusa.com. They also have the Marble's branded one for $4 less on sale now.

You might also try Brownell's or Lyman directly. Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh!
Now I understand.

Had he said "for the dovetail on" or "for the slots cut on" I would have understood right off the bat.

When I saw "euro cut" I was wondering why someone would put money on a Lyman muzzleloader.
Then I thought, "Well, folks put coins on their stocks, so why not a euro?"
:rotf:

Well, since the Lyman in made in Italy maybe one is required to measure the dovetails in millimeters....thus a euro cut. :idunno:

Enjoy, J.D.

Ah-ha! I did a little digging and apparently the Lyman rifles use a dovetail that is a little shy of 3/8"....something like .340" instead of .375".

Lyman must make a .340" slot filler then. I would think a call to them would reveal that. :hmm:

Enjoy, J.D.

I little filing on the blank or the slot will make it work fine.

Filing the blank will allow you to reuse the original sights if the need arises.

Filing the slot to fit the blank will be less obvious and leave you with a 3/8" slot for which you can get any number of replacement sights in the future.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Enjoy, J.D.

Sorry for the earlier confusion, I could have been a little clearer. I should also clarify that Lyman only offers the 3/8" on their website. I'll have to give them a call.

If Brownell's doesn't have one your in trouble. I can tell you that they will be to wide ans if you want it blended in there will be fileing involved! Geo. T.

Almost all sights, and sight blanks need a little filing anyway. .035 would not be that hard to file off with a small triangle file. I change sights on almost every rifle I buy, and just about every single one needs to be filed.

Very easy to make one. A piece of steel, a hack saw, and a file is all that's needed. If you have any kind of scrap steel around...a piece of left-over angle iron or flat iron...an old steel door hinge....

Or, buy whatever the cheapest sight is that would fit and file the sight part off.

Back