• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth bore rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't leave Tip Curtis out of the equation on your quest for a smoothbore. I personally think you get a lot of gun for the reasonable price he charges. Great guy to deal with. If I get my funds in order, he'll provide my squirrel rifle.

radman said:
Spikebuck that is exactly what I want in my next weapon,right down to the wood patchbox.do you mind telling me who made it and roughly what it cost?

I purchased this smooth rifle off the Track of the Wolf consignments during the recession a few years ago. The maker was noted as George Rasche. When I asked about him here, someone on this forum had seen some old advertisement for him on the ALR forum, I think, and advised he is from Dubois, Indiana. I have never spoken to the gentleman and do not know if this was just a personal gun he made for himself or a friend or if he made some guns for sale. It was "lightly" used and I do not know who sold it (ToW keeps those things very private.)

That said, there are many good builders that can produce something very similar. This one is carved and engraved and has a poured pewter nose cap that is a bit unique, so those options clearly would add to cost, but certainly aren't necessary to have a working smooth rifle. It also appears to have a scraped finish vs sanding, which I find kind of cool as it gives a truly hand-made look. IMO, Mr Rasche did a very fine job on this gun.

It is heavy compared to a fowler-style with an octagon to round or all round and tapered barrel...so be aware of that. It comes in at around 9 pounds. I had a fowling piece and it may have just been that particular gun, but it just never "fit" me too well, even though it was custom made to my measurements. I just prefer a cheekpiece and a rifle-styled stock. I LOVE the looks of a fine skinny and graceful fowling gun...the ones from Mike Brooks are fantastic. Some day I may have to try another.

If I could only have one flintlock, though, this would be the one, hands down.

I have four flintlock smoothbore's, without a rear sight, one 12ga and three 20ga's. I also has a .54 (28ga) smooth rifle with a rear sight made by Jack Hubbard. I load it with shot more than RB for some reason.

Squirrela_1st_day.JPG

you are wrong..17th/18th c. fowling pieces never had rear sights adjustable or mounted..however some would work a groove in the rear tang area..hardly a rear sight .

markm7737 said:
you are wrong..17th/18th c. fowling pieces never had rear sights adjustable or mounted..however some would work a groove in the rear tang area..hardly a rear sight .
Thanks for clearing that up for us. :bow: :bow:
We are truly not worthy.
It makes since when you think about it.
1719 National Mvzzleloading Rifle Affociation Rvles

markm7737 said:

Statements like that are more credible if one can cite their sources :grin:

markm7737 said:

No, you are wrong.
Plenty of evidence in paintings, original pieces from the period, archaeological recoveries etc.
Mostly prominent on continental pieces.

What kind of groups do you get at 25, 50, 75, and 100 meters? I have had thoughts of getting a .45 or .50 caliber smooth rifle.

"Never" and "always" are dangerous terms around smoothbore flintlocks. New England had a lot of buck-and-ball smooth guns that did have rear sights; or not. They were certainly also used with light shot (dropped or cut).

There is a difference in a stock cut for accurate and deliberate aim vs. one crafted for fast wing-shooting. IMHO what make a smooth rifle is a stick of rifle style on a barrel without rifling. It's about that simple.

"Never" and "always" are dangerous terms around smoothbore flintlocks.

Thanks, Stump.

Buy the gun and shoot it awreddy. Some guys will be good with a smooth rifle and not take credit and some guys will be lousy and blame it on the gun.

In the woods we all acknowledge that distance is foiled by vegetation, but I have seen one of my friends outshoot almost everybody with a smooth rifle trail walk after trail walk.

My Charleville, once I cut a notch back by the tang, never failed me in the Adirondacks and we had one French and Indian War trip where us smoothies were shooting the center of playing cards out at fifty feet. No...fifty yards....no, a hunnerd yards....no a different zip code. Yeah, that's it, a different zip code.

I handled an original French fowler that had an original fixed rear sight. It was shaped like a butterfly and matched the other fittings. So don't say never.
Nit Wit

smoothshooter said:
What kind of groups do you get at 25, 50, 75, and 100 meters? I have had thoughts of getting a .45 or .50 caliber smooth rifle.
Sorry been absent.
I have only tested it at 50 long paces and get a good 3" group regular. That is plenty good enough for me. Up to 30 I could hunt sparrows with it!

B.

Isn't "smoothrifle" a contradiction in terms? What makes a "rifle" is rifling. Everything else...stock, rear sight.... is an embellishment so as to make the best use of the rifled barrel.
I understand that the term is in common use; it doesn't seem to be an accurate descriptor.

It's an old term, used in the day.

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
September 20, 1739
RUN away on the 6th Inst. from Thomas Rees, of Heydelburg Township, Lancaster County, a Servant Lad, named Richard Beddes, aged about 17 Years, has light bushy Hair: Had on an old striped linsey Jacket, old linnen Shirt, new Linnen Breeches and an old Hat, no Shoes nor Stockings. Took with him a smooth Rifle Gun. Whoever brings the said Servant to his said Master, or secures him in the County Goal, so that he may be had again, shall have Three Pounds Reward and reasonable Charges, paid by Thomas Rees."

"The Pennsylvania Gazette
September 20, 1739
RUN away on the 6th Inst. from Thomas Rees, of Heydelburg Township, Lancaster County, a Servant Lad, named Richard Beddes, aged about 17 Years, ... Took with him a smooth Rifle Gun."

Spence

Pete D. said:
Isn't "smoothrifle" a contradiction in terms? What makes a "rifle" is rifling. Everything else...stock, rear sight.... is an embellishment so as to make the best use of the rifled barrel.
I understand that the term is in common use; it doesn't seem to be an accurate descriptor.

Actually, it does seem to be a known and somewhat common descriptor in the period. They knew what Rifled Guns looked like and what Fowling Pieces looked like and there were notable differences between the two in stock architecture and metal parts that were used. So a Smooth Rifle Gun meant it had the styling and metal parts of a Rifled Gun, but with a smooth bore barrel.

Gus

I shoot a .58 smooth Lehigh. 44" rice D weight barrel with sights and a cheek piece. With tight PRB, it shoots as good as my rifles at 50 yards.
I'll try and post a pic later this evening

Back