• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SQUIRREL HUNTING RIG

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. If I use the .45, it will probably be a with round ball and 40 grains of 3f. I never could get a shot load that I liked.
I'm thinking about using my flintlock .45 canoe gun some for squirrels. Been a long time since I shot it but I'm thinking it was around 35-40 grains that it liked for such hunting. A .45 makes a fine squirrel gun.

Here is a picture of of my muzzleloaders I've used and will use.

On the left is a Pedersoli 12ga SxS I've shot a good amount of squirrels with it over the years. I got in 1998. It was gift from my wife for our 5th wedding anniversary.

Center is my Crockett Rifle, I will be using it on private land for year round squirrel season (if and when I can). The Crockett Rifle is fist muzzleloader I used PRBs for hunting. And I love it.

Right side is my Kibler SMR, it's a .32 caliber. I will use it on State land WMAs
When muzzleloading season and general gun season opens.

I don't have a hunt bag yet, I use a little pack for now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240810_165559_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240810_165559_Gallery.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

On the left is a Pedersoli 12ga SxS I've shot a good amount of squirrels with it over the years. I got in 1998. It was gift from my wife for our 5th wedding anniversary.

Center is my Crockett Rifle, I will be using it on private land for year round squirrel season (if and when I can). The Crockett Rifle is fist muzzleloader I used PRBs for hunting. And I love it.

Right side is my Kibler SMR, it's a .32 caliber. I will use it on State land WMAs

Looking good there, Fred. Congrats.

I sure wish they would make the Crockett in a 36 or 45. That little bitty 32. I know the smaller ball is best for small game; I just can't seem to like it. It's popularity would carry over to a larger bore rifle with more punch.

Is there enough barrel meat in the Crockett to bore to .36?

There are probably a few rusty ones for sale at a price to make a rebore affordable.

Jeff
Jetmech, just last week, I called
Bibby Hoyt.

I asked if he could bore a Traditions Crockett Rifle barrel to .410 smoothbore. He said he could do that but would never dream of rifling one to a big caliber, due to the quality of the steel they use.

Is there enough barrel meat in the Crockett to bore to .36?

There are probably a few rusty ones for sale at a price to make a rebore affordable.

Jeff
There is enough meat to do that. Problem is finding a used one. Last time I looked recently there were two used ones on GunBroker and they were asking $495 each. I'm sure they are still on there. I can't imagine why they'd ask that much when a new one is just a few bucks more. Before the plandemic I would run across a used one for $250 or a little less but since prices on everything has gone up I haven't seen any deals in used ones. I'd like to have one but, with those prices, I'll just wait until I can get a new one. I also wish they had offered a full stock option too.

Here is my old .45 smoothbore. The lighter colored bag wasn't made by me. The fella I bought this gun from made it and sent it with the gun. He was a first class gentleman... I carry it with all my various hunting rigs as it holds an old leather wallet that holds my hunting and fishing license. Also has a folding knife, a tinder box with char cloth and flint/steel, and a few other items a guy might need. Maybe a bologna sandwich or two... I made the darker bag as a quick and dirty shooting bag for my .54 but found out I like it for this gun. Working on a shot horn in the shop but haven't finished it yet. It has a brass powder flask, shot bag, and an old tin I got at the thrift store for a quarter. I cleaned the residue out of it and filled it with my own ball grease. Apple scented... I've never fired ball out of this gun but ya never know when I might decide to so it's best to be prepared. I don't know why some of the pictures are upside down. I made the knife and sheath a long time ago. The sheath has no belt loop just a small loop for a neck cord to go through. Hanging from the knife sheath is a powder/shot measure made from a leg bone from a dead doe I found in the woods. The rest of the bones are in a bucket in the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_20240819_191014677.jpg
    IMG_20240819_191014677.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240819_191007891.jpg
    IMG_20240819_191007891.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240819_191147982.jpg
    IMG_20240819_191147982.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240819_191227928.jpg
    IMG_20240819_191227928.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240819_191351466.jpg
    IMG_20240819_191351466.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240819_191416910.jpg
    IMG_20240819_191416910.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240819_191007891.jpg
    IMG_20240819_191007891.jpg
  • IMG_20240819_191133097.jpg
    IMG_20240819_191133097.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is ye olde .40 squirrel rifle. She started life as a T/C Cherokee but now sports a 28 inch Douglas round ball barrel. This may be the most accurate BP rifle I've ever fired. She's light weight and easy to carry all day. The bag is an old Thompson Center "possibles" bag my wife gave me the year I got into BP. Got a tin of grease with patch and ball and a small powder horn I picked up cheap at the Davy Crockett days rendezvous in Lawrenceburg Tennessee back in 2017. By the way, Crockett Days is happening at Davy Crockett state part in L'burg this weekend for anybody interested. There is usually a ball bag with this kit but it is laying on my desk awaiting a refill. The knife and sheath were a gift from an old friend nearly thirty years ago. I made the oak/antler ball starter just a few weeks ago when I had a rare few minutes to myself. This is a fun little rifle ..

Attachments

• IMG_20240819_193906818.jpg
    IMG_20240819_193906818.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240819_193912415.jpg
    IMG_20240819_193912415.jpg
  • IMG_20240819_193917852.jpg
    IMG_20240819_193917852.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240819_193941006.jpg
    IMG_20240819_193941006.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240819_194040711.jpg
    IMG_20240819_194040711.jpg
One last rig. I'm posting this one to get Ed to thinking about another challenge. This is my CVA Pioneer .32 pistol. I haven't hunted with this one yet but plan to this year. The complete kit isn't listed because I haven't made it yet. I'll make a crossover holster for the pistol and carry shooting stuff (ball, grease, patches, caps) in the little belt pouch I made for it. And I'm thinking about trying my hand at making a small flat powder horn just for this gun. Never made a flat horn before but have been studying up on it here on the forum. I figure a flat horn should slip right down in that belt pouch.

I snagged this gun on GB for $150.00 a couple years ago. Seen a couple others on there since. And from time to time a Traditions Crockett .32 pistol shows up on there as well.

If you guys haven't tried handgun hunting with BP pistols I highly recommend it. Before I got this .32 an old Jukar .45 KY pistol was what I packed for small game. And a CVA .50 Mountain Pistol for deer. Give it a try guys. It's a real challenge... If I get to go to Ed's squirrel fest I'll bring this little pistol with me in case anybody wants to try it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20240819_200121657.jpg
    IMG_20240819_200121657.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240819_200105619.jpg
    IMG_20240819_200105619.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
One last rig. I'm posting this one to get Ed to thinking about another challenge. This is my CVA Pioneer .32 pistol. I haven't hunted with this one yet but plan to this year. The complete kit isn't listed because I haven't made it yet. I'll make a crossover holster for the pistol and carry shooting stuff (ball, grease, patches, caps) in the little belt pouch I made for it. And I'm thinking about trying my hand at making a small flat powder horn just for this gun. Never made a flat horn before but have been studying up on it here on the forum. I figure a flat horn should slip right down in that belt pouch.

I snagged this gun on GB for $150.00 a couple years ago. Seen a couple others on there since. And from time to time a Traditions Crockett .32 pistol shows up on there as well.

If you guys haven't tried handgun hunting with BP pistols I highly recommend it. Before I got this .32 an old Jukar .45 KY pistol was what I packed for small game. And a CVA .50 Mountain Pistol for deer. Give it a try guys. It's a real challenge... If I get to go to Ed's squirrel fest I'll bring this little pistol with me in case anybody wants to try it out.
Ha, I'm darn lucky if I can hit a squirrel with a rifle. I can't imagine trying to squirrel hunt with a pistol.

I hope you can make it to the squirrel gig in October.

Ha, I'm darn lucky if I can hit a squirrel with a rifle. I can't imagine trying to squirrel hunt with a pistol.

Ed: I have been working with my Traditions .32 percussion pistol. It is very accurate off the bench with 15 grains of 3f. Off the bench I can keep 1" groups @ 25 yards. I think if I use a tree rest when hunting I may be able to bag some early squirrels when the leaves are still on and most shots are within 35 yards. Should be fun. I have taken several snow shoe hares in VT with this gun by stalking with in 25-30 yards. Squirrels are a much smaller target though.

Ed: I have been working with my Traditions .32 percussion pistol. It is very accurate off the bench with 15 grains of 3f. Off the bench I can keep 1" groups @ 25 yards. I think if I use a tree rest when hunting I may be able to bag some early squirrels when the leaves are still on and most shots are within 35 yards. Should be fun. I have taken several snow shoe hares in VT with this gun by stalking with in 25-30 yards. Squirrels are a much smaller target though.
No doubt that it can be fun, Craig. I would really like to hunt snowshoe rabbits with a ML pistol. However, I have my doubts as to how well I would do hunting squirrels with a ML pistol. I have killed a couple of squirrels with a certain unmentionable pistol, as well as many blue grouse a cottontail and a couple of deer. It was not a hunting pistol, it was made and used in our military for about 90 years.

Kudos for those of you that are successful overall with a ML pistol. You all have my respect.

I’m with you Ed. I have two bp revolvers in .36. I’ve thought about taking one along squirrel hunting but I can hardly hit the ground with them so they stay home.

Back