• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel Hunting- The Traditional Way Book

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm blessed and lucky enough to make it I'll be, as the young folks used to say, kickin' it old school. Either a tent or a lean-to. Or just out on the ground by a fire if that's aloud.
Tim, I certainly hope you can make it, even if it’s for a day or two. You can camp anyway you like over there.

I'd get downright claustrophobic in there. If I can make it I'm not looking forward to dragging my trailer. Might need to upgrade from my little 3P backpacker.
I spent a week in it a few years ago hunting Kansas and Nebraska for turkeys. It worked well. Ol Jim is cooking some Kansas turkey breast in that picture. Hopefully I get a picture of cooking Kentucky squirrel on it soon.

If I'm blessed and lucky enough to make it I'll be, as the young folks used to say, kickin' it old school. Either a tent or a lean-to. Or just out on the ground by a fire if that's aloud.
Tim,

I'll be camping under similar circumstances. Ed will know better than me but I'm guessing that weather should be mild in mid-October.

Looking forward to meeting everyone who is attending.

Ed, thanks for all the effort you've put into the planning.

Jeff

Tim,

I'll be camping under similar circumstances. Ed will know better than me but I'm guessing that weather should be mild in mid-October.

Looking forward to meeting everyone who is attending.

Ed, thanks for all the effort you've put into the planning.

Jeff
You are welcome, Jeff.

To be clear, I want everyone to understand that there will be hills and/or small mountains wherever we go. It will also be fairly thick, depending on location.

I cannot predict nor change the weather. Generally speaking, temps have subsided quite a bit by October but warm and humid days are still possible, as well as rain.

There will still be some insects and no doubt ticks to deal with, however, they are usually greatly reduced by that time. I highly recommend either applying Permethrin on your hunting clothes, or bring some spray deet. What I do is tape the bottom of my pants legs with Duct tape then spray down. This prevents ticks or chiggers from going up my legs. It works great.

Snakes are still a possibility. If you are concerned about perhaps being snake bitten, you might want to bring some snake boots, snake gators, or tall hunting boots. I seldom wear my snake gators and I seldom see copperheads, but due to my knee replacement several months ago, the last thing I need is to be snake bitten on that leg. So I will most likely be wearing snake gators this season.

Cell phone coverage is spotty in the area. GPS works well. I always carry a wet compass instead of GPS or cell phone. Due to this, my opinion is morning hunts would be best. I do not like the idea of having to possibly go out looking for someone in the dark if they do not return from an evening hunt for whatever reason. Therefore, my vote goes to hunting in the mornings and hang out at camp the remainder of the day. However, this is Y’all’s party and hunt so do as you wish. Personally, I do not like to do evening squirrel hunts unless it’s close by the house. This is for the sole purpose of having to drive home then having to clean squirrels as well as my ML after I am all worn out.
Understand that these areas are not all that way out yonder but is far enough back to where it would not be fun if you couldn’t make it back to your vehicle before dark.

I cannot promise anyone that they will kill squirrels. However, I’m doing my best to locate and scout different areas for everyone. Honestly, I’d rather see you all be successful than myself. I can hunt anytime and at different locations. I sometimes use my small boat to travel to some hunting grounds but obviously that’s not going to work for this gig.

I do plan on locating a small area to fun shoot. A small field or clearing somewhere close to camp.

As of now, there are no set dates for this. We are going to have to play it by ear for now.

Last edited:
@ETipp this just keeps looking better and better.

I go into unknown territory often and do use GPS and both ONX and Backcountry Navigator. But never leave the compass at home as well as maps to use with it.

For anyone that always hunts home ground that they are totally familiar with but is going into strange territory I'd suggest considering one of these systems. No cell service needed for functionality.

Ed, I can shoot squirrels here at home. I’m coming to Ky for the adventure and to meet you in person and whoever else comes. Shooting some squirrels is secondary.
“Shooting squirrels is secondary”?

Why I never! “Elizabeth, this is the big one, honey”

Just kidding. 😁

You are welcome. It is my hopes this turns out well and everyone enjoys themselves. I look forward to meeting everyone.

Last edited:
Guys, FYI.

I called the tree people a little while ago. I had read on the campground website that there’s tent pads. They said a small camper is allowed if it will fit in the vehicle parking space. So, if any of you have a longer camper, be advised.

Guys, FYI.

I called the tree people a little while ago. I had read on the campground website that there’s tent pads. They said a small camper is allowed if it will fit in the vehicle parking space. So, if any of you have a longer camper, be advised.
Hello Ed,

Sounds like a good spot, less developed.

Do you an address or name of the campsite? I'd like to look at it on Google Earth or some other way, maybe get a look at the river.

Thanks again for all of your efforts.

Jeff

Hello Ed,

Sounds like a good spot, less developed.

Do you an address or name of the campsite? I'd like to look at it on Google Earth or some other way, maybe get a look at the river.

Thanks again for all of your efforts.

Jeff
Hey Jeff.

It’s called Bee Rock Campground. The river is small. It’s called the Rockcastle River. I have done a little scouting nearby but have not yet found a good hunting location close by the campground. Sadly, I found out that the area I knew about has been logged a few years ago. I have, however, found a good looking place to hunt up the road a ways. Same river runs by it. I plan on scouting that area after squirrel season opens in a few more days. I figure that if I’m going to be scouting, I might as well be doing it with my Crockett squirrel rifle in hand. Kill two stones with one bird.

Although this location is somewhat close by my bungalow, and I have stayed in the campground a few times over the years, it is not my normal stomping grounds. So, more scouting to be done.

There’s a lot of real estate out there to squirrel hunt, and squirrels are a plenty. Just have to do the driving and scouting to find it. Sadly, I have lost most of the private land I’ve been hunting.

Last edited:
Back