• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Starting my winter pistol build early

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Or...just prepping for the days of January\February 2025 when the weather is lousy. I started out with a block of Maple. Sawed the rough shape of the pistol I have a 13" .45 Cal barrel that will be used. Going to pattern it after the Chambers American Flintlock Pistol.

I got the barrel channel cut. Not the tang yet as I need to buy the breech plug, drill and tap the barrel and seat it. Today I received my 12" 5/16" drill bit and finished the ramrod hole. Next is to rough cut the width. Then inlet the tang.....and move on from there!!!

ZXplT3Wl.jpg

hlZbZmTl.jpg
Lg2RfHbl.jpg

WrVkK2Ol.jpg
xNwqqSCl.jpg
vaPhCbel.jpg
LRKLzN3l.jpg

Today I decided to make my Trigger Plate (TP) for the pistol. I cut some metal, cut the trigger slot, then silver soldered two lugs that will be the trigger pivot point. I left the lugs high so I could fit it once the lock and TP are inletted.

IsAcPGul.jpg

VqA0FUOl.jpg
dbg8Zg0l.jpg
H2dlx3Ul.jpg

I keep "pecking" away at it a little at a time. The breech plug is coming and I have to drill\tap the barrel. Then fit the breech plug for a good fit\seal.

My plan is to make my own RR pipes and butt cap via peening sheet brass.

But.....archery season is fast approaching and I've got a very nice ten point on my cameras. Once that starts everything else is on the back burner.

Then again.....I may be done by Christmas if I get that ten point early. You know....the best laid plans of mice and men.......

Got another step done. Fitted the breech plug and before the "final" wrench into the barrel polished up the breech face. Got luck on the alignment of the barrel flat and the seating of the plug. (This one was easier than others)

ONOEnyRl.jpg
xQf8H3Sl.jpg

I am enjoying this build. I am curious why you kept the barrel channel walls so high rather than cutting them lower to nearer the finished height. Seems a lot more work inletting the barrel this way.
Thanks.
You raise a valid point. I'm probably over cautious when "leaving enough meat" on the rough out. It's always easier to take off wood and\or metal than to glue\silver solder it back on.

I likely could have removed another 1/4" of the wood height before starting the barrel channel, but that additional channel "digging" was straight down, and perhaps added another 3 "pass's" with the chisel. Rasping down the remainder is fairly quick.

I'd chalk it up to personal preference more than anything else. 👍

Back