• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

storeing my sidelock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgilmore

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was hopeing u guys could give some pointers on the best way to store your BP arms in the off season to prevent rust and or corrosion. :hmm:

Thanks.

I throughly clean and dry mine, then run a lightly oiled patch down and out of the barrel, followed by a large dry wad of patching cloth rammed down to the breech and left. Then with the dry cloth to prevent oil from seeping in to the flash channel. I heavily oil the barrel inside and out, put a greased patch over the muzzle to prevent damp air from entering and store with the muzzle lower than the breech.

I thoroughly clean and oil inside and out and store my muzzleloaders muzzle down in my gun safe. I don't want oil to pool in the bottom of the barrel back by the flash channel or flash hole.

And I try and remember to double check the bores a couple weeks after they have been shot, cleaned up and put away, just to make certain the bores are clean and rust free. :2

I just make sure to shoot mine often enough that I don't have to worry about rust. :grin:

Back