• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C stock refinish question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westrayer

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have an old T/C Hawken that I bought from a friend that needed the money. It is in need of TLC. I have already dealt with the rust and bore. The stock has several deep gouges to the finish. Not into the wood though.
What would you recommend removing the original finish and then what to use to replace it? Any idea what was originally applied to the wood? It seems like some type of lacquer.

I've stripped three using Citristrip. One took a couple of coats. Then scraped and sanded them and put a Tung Oil finish on them. No idea what the original finish was. Good luck.

I've reshaped and replaced a lot on my T\C. GM barrel, triggers and trigger guard.

But to remove the old finish I just sanded it off. Wasn't all that difficult. After I got the shape where I wanted it I applied a sealer, then several coats of Tru Oil. I think maybe 3 coats did it.

r1LolVq.jpg

guqAz2q.jpg

Sandpaper and various scrapers for me. I sealed it back up with bees was and oil rubbed. Then 20-25 coats of gun wax. If the brass gets proud here and there from wood removal just knock it down with a single cut and buff it back to desired smoothness using sandpaper, steel wool or scotch brite.

I forgot to mention, I put the Tru-oil on with a 1" square of green scotch bright pad. I put the Tru-oil on heavy, scrubbed it in, then quickly wiped off all the excess with an old washcloth, this leaves a satin finish instead of the usual shiny finish the Tru-oil usually leaves.

Back