• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Revolver Said to Have Never Existed! From: https://www.capandballrevolvers.com/the-44-caliber-old-model-navy-revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

The Revolver Said to Have Never Existed!​

44_Navy_02-1920w.jpg

We do not know who at Colt came up with the idea of rebating the OMN (Old Model 1851 Navy) frame and increasing the forward portion of the cylinder or when the innovation was made, but it was apparently in mid to late 1859. The Colt factory collection once held at least one revolver that best reflected the transition from the OMN to the NMA (New Model 1860 Army). This revolver is believed to be one listed in an inventory of the Colt Museum collection as either ''1 Navy pistol fluted cylinder enlarged bore 'with lever & link for ramrod'' or ''1 old model Navy with fluted cylinder, round barrel, enlarged bore." There is also one other possibility for the two listings and that would be the NMA (New Model Army) with the OMN serial numbered frame. None the less, both are chambered in .44 caliber.
44 caliber Old Model Navy

Metal added to the lug to project it further toward the muzzle

Bottom of lug with added metal.

One existing revolver that fits both of these brief descriptions is now in the Phillips collection at the Woolaroc Museum. This pistol is unmarked and unnumbered. It is essentially a .44 caliber OMN with a rebated, fluted cylinder and a rounded OMN barrel that has metal added to the lug to project it further toward the muzzle, as seen above. This added metal encloses a little more of the rammer than does the lug on the .36 caliber OMN. This may have been done to provide more support to the enlarged rammer and allow a larger loading cut for the .44 caliber bullet. The cylinder is somewhat longer than on the OMN, and tl1e barrel's forcing cone (the breech end of the barrel), was shortened enough to at least partially accommodate the longer cylinder. The arbor was also made a little longer than on the OMN.

Perhaps a prototype that was never mass produced. The added in piece of metal to the barrel assembly and the lack of markings points this way for me. There’s been many one off guns many of which can be viewed at the museum in Cody Wyoming.

I agree with your comment @Phil Coffins. However, even being a one or two off prototype, one cannot continue to say that the Colt Navy did not exist in .44 caliber. This information indicates that it did exist in however limited number(s) and appears to have been purposely built/modified for .44 caliber.

I agree with your comment @Phil Coffins. However, even being a one or two off prototype, one cannot continue to say that the Colt Navy did not exist in .44 caliber. This information indicates that it did exist in however limited number(s) and appears to have been purposely built/modified for .44 caliber.
Was it made by Colt? Any number of talented people could have made this one much like the replicas made today. A modified hot rod doesn’t indicate that Ford made a hemi powered coupe.

Speaking of Wyoming and the West in general, I wonder what will become of the excellent collection of Mike Venturino of Montana? So sad he's no longer with us, he was a great, great student of history and one of my favorite magazine columnists. He set his own path, had a great wife, (Diamond Dot), and will never be equaled, no doubt.

Was it made by Colt? Any number of talented people could have made this one much like the replicas made today. A modified hot rod doesn’t indicate that Ford made a hemi powered coupe.

Although the records do not show a serial number for the described revolver that this appears to match, Colt did license European firms that were making copies and variations. A lack of proofing marks may point away from a licensed or unlicensed knock-off. With a lack of Colt markings it indeed seems to be prototype, and may have been the father of the NMA .44.

I'm not really certain with something NOT in production one may proclaim "Colt" made X..., even when X was produced by somebody in the Colt factory.

LD

COLT "PROTOTYPE" ARMY REVOLVER COPIED FROM WILLIAM B. EDWARDS' THE STORY OF COLT'S REVOLVER​

In 1859, Samuel Colt delivered his last order of M1847 Dragoon pistols to the Army. These heavy pistols were built of hammered steel, a low carbon steel that was comparably weak to modern gun steel. In order to manage the pressures created by the .44 caliber bullets fired from the Army pistols, the engineers at Colt had originally designed the Dragoon pistol with a very thick barrel and even thicker cylinder. This made the pistols safe to fire, but it also made them extremely heavy. This weight problem was exacerbated by the fact the Army had also began experimenting with Colt's Navy revolver, a pistol that was nearly half the size and weight as the Dragoon due to the fact that it fired a low pressure .36 caliber bullet.

It was during this time that Colt began experimenting with what he called "Silver Spring Steel". This new steel was smelted in a blower furnace that added more oxygen to the smelting process while at the same time forcing any slag and other contaminates out of the steel. This resulted in a high carbon steel with more than three times the tensile strength of the hammered steel used in the Dragoon pistols. Colt began experimenting with the stronger steel by building up a few "light weight" Dragoon pistols with fluted cylinders and thinned out barrels. These prototype guns were lighter than the original Dragoons but were still needlessly heavy in comparison to the Navy pistols.

It was quickly decided that a new pistol would need to be designed in order to fully take advantage of the new steel. After much research and development, Colt's engineers theorized that if a stepped, or "rebated" cylinder was designed a large caliber could be combined with a small frame to make a new Army .44 caliber revolver that was a similar size and weight to the Navy .36 caliber revolvers. Colt's pattern shop quickly designed a prototype to test this theory. A new cylinder was made with the rear portion the same size as a basic Navy cylinder while the front portion was larger to provide enough chamber thickness to contain the pressures produced by a .44 caliber cartridge. The new cylinder was mounted to a Navy frame that was also rebated to allow the new cylinder to clear it. A Navy barrel was then bored to .44 caliber. Also, because the use of Colt's new steel negated the need for a beefy octagonal barrel, the new barrel was thinned out and turned completely round. As this was merely a prototype, there were no numbers or trademarks applied.

With the new prototype Army revolver in hand, Colt's engineers went to the firing range and carefully squeezed off the first few shots. Much to their relief, the small frame, large caliber pistol preformed perfectly. With the new concept proven, Colt's designers immediately went to work in developing the Model 1860 Army. This pistol would eventually become one of Colt's most succesful models, and remains virtually unchanged from the original round barrel navy prototype pistol; with the exception of a creeping ramrod developed by Elisha Root (Colt's patent expired on the Navy style rammer so Root's was implemented).

To our knowledge, the Round Barrel Colt Army Prototype pistol can only be found in one book: The Story of Colt's Revolver by William B. Edwards. When thumbing through Edwards' book one evening, Lodgewood's David Stavlo was immediately drawn to itsunique barrel and smooth lines. This set in motion a long chain of events that would eventually lead to the building of the first (and only) reproduction Colt 1860 prototype.

After studying the Army Prototype in Edwards book, David began the build by selecting a new Pietta .44 caliber 1851 Navy Revolver. This would allow the pistol's caliber to be correct right out of the gate. First, David turned the barrel round and hand filed the breech to match. He then opened up the loading port just like the original and reshaped the bottom portion of the barrel to the dimensions of Colt's prototype. Then, he replaced the cylinder with a fluted model, turning it to the proper dimensions to fit the Pietta frame. The action was then re-timed until the pistol had a nice smooth action.

David continued by defarbing the revolver; removing the markings from the frame and barrel to leave the pistol completely unmarked, just like the original. The hammer spur was re-shaped and the frame and barrel bevels were then re-cut before the entire pistol was reblued and bone-charcoal color case hardened using the same materials and techniques applied to original Colt pistols. David finished the project by re-shaping the grips to the proper dimensions and sealed them with a hand rubbed oil finish.

The finish pistol is absolutely astounding. It's a near perfect, shootable replica of Colt's original prototype 1860. We've even provided the original photo from Edwards' book for comparison. This is the first time the Colt .44 caliber Protoype has ever been produced and it is a perfect fit in any Colt enthusiast's collection. This pistol, displayed in between an original 1851 Navy and 1860 Army is the perfect "missing link" between Colt's two most successful model and would be an excellent talking point for any collector.

Don’t hate me, as I love my 1860 army. That pistol is way better looking in my opinion! I read some of this yesterday and couldn’t sleep because all I could think about was making one like the Lodgewood!

Don’t hate me, as I love my 1860 army. That pistol is way better looking in my opinion! I read some of this yesterday and couldn’t sleep because all I could think about was making one like the Lodgewood!
Maybe use a .36 barrel after having it bored and gain twist rifled .450/456 with an extension welded on the bottom lug to match the extended forcing cone.

Back