• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC refuses to do an upgrade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still does not make it right, or the honorable thing for a person to do and it certainly doesn't make S&W the culprit.

they didn't offer an "Up Grade" the warranted their rifle,if something was defective.
so order the locks, pay for them and wait for them to come in,fix the rifle and be done with it,,or continue on the path you are on and get nowhere... and as was pointed out IF you are not the original owner,,,this doesn't apply to you anyway.....
Life is easier if you plow around the stumps.

As stated now for I think the fifth time, both my call and email sent to TC stated that "I am not the original owner, this is a kit gun, and I will pay for the work performed."

It is all moot however for two reasons: one, the lock seems fine and two, both the call and email revealed TC doesn't have any spare parts on hand and is unsure when they will.

Not everyone in the world is a cheat. I assume the above advice was not meant for me as I also assume everyone who posts reads each and every post in order to make an informed and accurate contribution.

Greg

Spirit:

1. He offered to PAY for it and THEY refused even for pay

2. The warranty posted by ebiggs only applies to those guns sold after Tc incorporated that new language. It DOES NOT apply to the tens of thousands TC's sold before that point. If the gun predates the language e-biggs cited, tc is contractually on the hook whether they like it or not. There was no restriction to original purchaser or owner when I purchased the three TC products I have. In fact the cat says they don't cover warranties for kit guns, but the box my kit hawken came in expressly stated Lifetime Warranty on the box.

Never was my intention to accuse anyone of anything,,
Put it up on the rack and if parts become available your ready or sell it for parts.
Is it something you can fix..

Greg,
Go back to Gun Broker web site and click on the byer tab. Then read the byer protection section. Back in 2006, a friend of mine got a .50 T/C Hawkens percussion off of Gun Broker and noticed there was a slight crack in the stock. He called T/C inquiring about buying a new stock. They told him to send the rifle to them, which he did. About a week later it was returned. New stock, new lock and a new ram rod, at no charge. But since then, I've heard nothing but bad about T/C. They did update their flintlock the same time they changed the design of their percussion locks. As noted, T/C is getting away from traditional muzzleloaders and more into the modern stuff. T/C Hawkens are running about $700 and in .50 caliber only. As you noticed, the .54 is a very heavy rifle. I have one in percussion. Last year I bought a .54 Lyman Trade Rifle for $300 (new) to replace the T/C. The Lyman is lighter and more enjoyable to carry. I also have two .54 Lyman GPRs, one for about 35 years with no problems.

Consumer Reports says,
Sure, it sounds great, but a "lifetime" warranty doesn't have any uniform legal definition, although some states might have their own rules. A lifetime warranty--you might think it would protect you against product failure for as long as you live. But it turns out there's no single legal definition of "lifetime warranty."

That means you may or may not be able to collect on its promise.

All warranties have a time period for which they are valid. The fact that a warranty is limited means that the extent of the liability of the manufacturer is set only to what is specified in the warranty itself. For example, the manufacturer may be liable if the product suffers technical failure, but not if the purchaser damages the product through his own actions.

The lifetime of the warranty refers to the period of time in which the warranty remains in force, starting from the date the purchaser buys the product. The lifetime in question is rarely the lifetime of the purchaser, but rather the length of time the manufacturer continues to make the product. Once a product is discontinued, the length of time the manufacturer remains liable under the warranty is uncertain but may be specified in the warranty documentation.

In legal terms, a warranty is an assurance from the manufacturer of a product to the purchaser that the product will meet certain specifications. Depending on the legal jurisdiction and the nature of the product and transaction a warranty may by implied or expressed.

I have been using TC firearms sinse they started, i have 5 Contenders and a dozen Rifles, over the yrs i have sent several Stocks back with cracks, they returned them looking better than before, the last Rifle i sent a couple or 3 yrs ago, was a 58 Big Boar with a crack in the wrist area, it came back with a really nice Stock that was inletted with no movement between Metal and wood, the Rifle looked like new when returned, last month i contacted them about buying a few parts, have not received any reply, looks like something has changed lately, George.

ebiggs said:
I can't believe the lack of reading comprehension on this forum. Read the warranty,...slowly. It makes clear what is required and what is not. Below I have quoted from my 2006 manual, the oldest I have available here to copy. This is well before S&W.

LIMITED WARRANTY
THOMPSON/CENTER ARMS provides a warranty for all factory finished
firearms for the LIFETIME OF THE ORIGINAL CONSUMER
PURCHASER. Any firearm, or part thereof, returned, postage paid, to the
factory at Rochester, New Hampshire 03867, will be repaired or replaced to
our commercial standard free of charge, and returned to the consumer purchaser
postage prepaid. This warranty is established by return of our authorized
warranty card which should be done within (30) days of purchase.

This warranty does not cover any damage caused by custom alteration of the
firearm! Thompson/Center Arms reserves the right to refuse to repair or
replace firearms, or parts thereof, damaged by abuse or misuse.
This warranty does not cover “Kit” models. While Thompson/Center
does guarantee the quality and workmanship of the parts contained in each kit
(and will replace any part which is proven, by our inspection, to be faulty in
either workmanship or material) we have no control over the final finishing
and assembly of these products. Therefore, no responsibility for either the construction
or use of kit models is implied or assumed. This warranty gives you
specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from State
to State.

This is exactly the same wording used in the 1987 manual I have here.

ebiggs said:
Still does not make it right, or the honorable thing for a person to do and it certainly doesn't make S&W the culprit.

Regarding the original poster, he didn't ask for warranty work, so to him it really doesn't matter what the warranty says. In my case I would have much rather paid for the parts I wanted than get free service that didn't include the parts I wanted.

As far as the change in direction of TC, it started with TC, but S&W has picked up the ball and run with it. If they follow the MBAs at every other gun company you can expect a TC 1911 and AR15 any day now. Marketing drives production and marketing is all monkey-see, monkey-do.

In the OP's first post he didn't make mention of how he asked for the upgrade. But at any rate this thread has become a discussion on whether it is the responsibility of TC, or any company, to do free repair work, or upgrades, on rifles that clearly don't deserve it.
The idea of a forum is to let everyone put forth their opinion on topics. The OP stated an experience he had and we have expanded it to make an interesting exchange.
There are TC haters and TC lovers and the rest of us in the middle try to sort it out. :hmm:

“... you can expect a TC 1911 and AR15 any day now.”

I seriously doubt it but hey that was way off topic! :shocked2:

zimmerstutzen said:
Then why did they need so many replacement frizzens

And there lies the proof! How could I have missed it? That certainly settles that. :hmm:
I will expect my original, unaltered, TC lock to fail any day now. By the way it has only been working for 20, give or take a few, years now. :(

Dan

As usual, great info in a short post that completely addresses the OP's need.

That is a good link, I added it to my "favorites" page.

One day I'll get a full-on custom gun....

Aren't guns cool????

Greg

It was my undertstanding that like most other muzzleloader makers TC was now only selling in-lines.

I do not know when they made their last sidelock but I suspect if they have changed ownership, their warrenty did not transfer to the new comapny. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back