• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tc renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouldn't ever be any need to remove the breech plug from a Renegade tazz.

For a thorough cleaning:
- remove the barrel from the stock,
- remove the nipple from the barrel,
- stick the breech end of the barrel in a pail of water,
- put a jag on your ramrod (range rod is better),
- put a patch on the cleaning jag,
- pump the rod down and up the full length of the bore a half dozen times (water will come out a little at the muzzle),
- pull the rod out,
- remove barrel from pail,
- squirt a little liquid dish washing detergent down the bore,
- pump the bore a few times with the barrel outside of the bucket,
- put the breech end back in the bucket and pump it another half dozen times,
- replace the patch on the cleaning jag,
- put clean water in the pail,
- pump it another half dozen times,
- remove from pail and dry well with clean patches,
- oil as you would any gun bore (but make sure the bore is totally dry before oiling).
- be sure to wipe out the oil with a couple of clean dry patches before loading again.

OBSERVATION: Your gunsmith doesn't know squat about muzzle loaders.

QUESTION: Just how do socks fit on a rooster???

Something you should know. Those barrels have a "patent breech" in the breech plug, which is a chamber that is smaller than bore size. Looks like this. Your regular cleaning jag will not get into this area.

NocksPatentBreech.jpg

To clean that area, I use a thirty-six inch 1/4" wood dowel with a slot cut in one end with a hacksaw blade and rounded off. Put a 3/4" square of patch material in the slot. Stick it down in the patent breech with a twisting motion as you put it in and pull it out. (No, it won't come off and get stuck down there. At least it never has for me in hundreds of uses.) It's a real good idea to wipe that area with a clean dry patch to remove any possible oil accumulation before loading.

BreechPlugCleaner.jpg

:thumbsup: I have own and used a TC Renegade Rifle in a 54 call for 25 yrs. I have taken everything from a button buck to a 14 pt brute that scored 187 NT and dressed 195 lbs. I have shot round balls, maxi-balls and am now using Power Belt Bullets. I use 90 gr of 2f when using maxi balls and now with power belt bullets. They hammer a deer. The 1" in 48" twist allows me to use either round ball or a conical style bullets. In the time I have own this rifle I have sent back into TC when the barrel was shoot out and they replace the barrel and it only cost me shipping. I have also purchase 1" in 66" twist barrel for it anf a 32 cal. barrel for it. I believe you will be well pleased in it. They make a 1" in 28" twist in a 50 cal that allows you do shoot any of the sabot style rounds ot the power belt bullets.

I have been following this thread for several days, and thanks to some info I got from Tajue17...my new to me Renegade 56 smooth rifle is in route to me, and on another tip from him...I also have a GM 54 rb barrel coming to go with it.......toal expenditure including shipping...300.00 for both items(same place)...great help from someone like Tajue17...PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back