• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

things gone by...............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walker357,

The orignal poem by Robert W. Service, titled "The Skeptic" was very short and went something like this:

My father Christmas passed away
When I was barely seven.
At twenty-one, alack a day,
I lost my hope of Heaven.
Yet not in either lies the curse -
The hell of it's because
I don't know which loss hurt the worse;
My God or Santa Clause.

I merely borrowed, plagiarized, embellished and expanded somewhat upon the original - Mr. Service has yet to complain. ...And my God has yet to desert me.

:winking:

...The Kansan...

P.S. I've also written several completely original pieces and a couple of the members here can vouch my veracity...

Very well done. We all lose our youth, and with it Santa Claus, but I sincerely hope you haven't lost your God. :peace:

:what: there is no santa claus :cry: ....but who brought my presents at x mass :hmm: ....................bob

Times have changed.

> >In the year 2005, the Lord came unto Noah, who was now living in the
> >United States, and said, "Once again, the earth has become wicked and
> >over-populated and I see the end of all flesh before me. Build another
> >Ark and save two of every living thing along with a few good humans."
> >
> >
> >He gave Noah the blueprints, saying, "You have six months to build the
> >Ark before I will start the unending rain for 40 days and 40 nights".
> >
> >Six months later, the Lord looked down and saw Noah weeping in his yard
> >... but no ark.
> >
> >"Noah", He roared, "I'm about to start the rain! Where is the Ark?"
> >
> >"Forgive me, Lord," begged Noah. "But things have changed. I needed a
> >building permit. I've been arguing with the inspector about the need
> >for a sprinkler system. My neighbors claim that I've violated the
> >neighborhood zoning laws by building the Ark in my yard and exceeding
> >the height limitations. We had to go to the Development Appeal Board
> >for a decision. Then the Department of Transportation demanded a bond
> >be posted for the future costs of moving power lines and other overhead
> >obstructions, to clear the passage for the Ark's move to the sea. I
> >argued that the sea would be coming to us, but they would hear nothing
> >of it.
> >
> >Getting the wood was another problem. There's a ban on cutting local
> >trees in order to save the spotted owl. I tried to convince the
> >environmentalists that I needed the wood to save the owls. But no go!
> >
> >When I started gathering the animals, I got sued by an animal rights
> >group. They insisted that I was confining wild animals against their
> >will. As well, they argued the accommodation was too restrictive and it
> >was cruel and inhumane to put so many animals in a confined space.
> >
> >Then the EPA ruled that I couldn't build the Ark until they'd conducted
> >an environmental impact study on your proposed flood.
> >
> >I'm still trying to resolve a complaint with the Human Rights Commission
> >on how many minorities I'm supposed to hire for my building crew.
> >
> >Also, the trades unions say I can't use my sons. They insist I have to
> >hire only Union workers with Ark building experience.
> >
> >To make matters worse, the IRS seized all my assets, claiming I'm trying
> >to leave the country illegally with endangered species.
> >
> >So, forgive me, Lord, but it would take at least ten years for me to
> >finish this Ark."
> >
> >Suddenly the skies cleared, the sun began to shine, and a rainbow
> >stretched across the sky.
> >
> >Noah looked up in wonder and asked, "You mean, You're not going to
> >destroy the world?".
> >
> >"No," said the Lord. "The government beat me to it."
> >
> >
>

exellent story....bravo....encore....standing ovation :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: ..................bob

P.S....aint that the truth....

after all of these posts no body came up with click clacks....i had bout 8 pair of these in all kinds of colors....remember what they were....i had them back in 4th - 5th grade i think it was way back in the 70's..................bob

Click claks of my day were when you cut a milk carton into a flap and then attached it to you bicycle fender brace with a clothes pin and bent the flap to ride against the spokes of the wheel.
MAn we were bad a$$ with them nosie makeing motor imitations :crackup:

Woody

We used baseball cards that we had extras of. Probably ruined a small fortune in original rookie cards and didn't know it.

Hank

the click clacks i'm talking bout are the ones with two glass balls on a string that ya tried to git going swinging up and down hitting each other as many times as ya can before ya smashed yer arm with them....and i remember them baseball cards also we used to flip at school to see who can git as many as ya can............bob

the click clacks i'm talking bout are the ones with two glass balls on a string that ya tried to git going swinging up and down hitting each other as many times as ya can before ya smashed yer arm with them....

Modern version...

clickclack.jpg

Rebel got his first gun when he was 9. I don't remember how old I was, but it was plenty young. When I was 9 or 10 (that would have been 1947) the NRA had a local club for kids to shoot once a week, every Wednesday evening in the winter time. They had a 50 foot 22 long rifle range in the basement of the Ford garage. There were about a half dozen kids from our neighborhood that went there to shoot. Cost 25 cents for the ammo, and we fired 25 shots. Parents would car pool and take us down there, but it was up to us to walk home. There would be four or five kids, all armed with 22 rifles, walking home after dark right through the middle of town and nobody paid any attention to us. This was in Calif. believe it or not, and when I turned 16 in about 1953 I went into the gun store by myself and bought a .22 colt huntsman semi auto pistol for $40. I don't remember where in the heck I got the money, because that was a bunch at the time, but I did have a paper route for a job and I probably saved for several months to get the money. Nobody said nothing. I don't recall asking permission, but I do recall Dad was happy about it, because he wanted to carry it to shoot rattlesnakes when he was going fishing or rock hounding. But buying a pistol at age 16 and walking out of the store with it isn't the best part. It was illegal to carry it out of sight (same as now) on your person or in the car (I had a A model Ford coup) so I went to see Sheriff Murry Hathaway and he gave me a concealed pistol permit. The permit wasn't good for packing concealed in school, but it was good for being concealed in the car though -- like at school -- so no one would steal it. And the funny thing is, after all these years (damn near 60) of being a right wing wierdo gun nut Ted Kennedy's car has still killed more people than any of my guns have. The way things are going I'm feeling sorry for you young whipper snappers, I figure I've lived through the best of it.

Modern version...

clickclack.jpg

i have 2 que balls from an old pool table and as soon as i git my drill press i think i'll make a pair out of them ol balls :thumbsup: ....i'll git some pic's when done.........bob

I remember click clacks. My sister had purple ones and I had blue ones. Our Dad couldn't stand the sound. That made it all the more fun. They got banned from inside the house. After awhile they would have little chips of glass fly off. That's why they make them out of plastic, now. It's just not the same. :shake:

Latest posts

Back