• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Barrel Sizes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick559

32 Cal
Reaction score
While I know quite a bit about the T/C Contenders, I'm a little at a loss on a few things about their muzzleloaders.

One question I have is about barrel measurements across the flats. I've run into two sizes on their Hawken rifles. Some are 1 inch and others are smaller. I understand why Seneca and Cherokee barrels may have a smaller diameter being smaller weapons.

Hawken models apparently have differences in both diameter and length.

Any verified information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks, that explains the diameters.

Any ideas about the barrel length differences in the Hawken models?

I've seen them advertised with everything from a 27 to a 29 inch factory barrel. So I'm not sure if it's people not measuring them correctly or if there are actually variations from year to year.

Thanks, that explains the diameters.

Any ideas about the barrel length differences in the Hawken models?

Standard TC Hawken barrels were 28 inches no matter the caliber. The Fox Ridge TC custom shop made some in roundball twist and they were 30 or 31 inches. I believe the Hawken Custom also had a 30 inch barrel. And the Clellan Hawken 40cal match rifle l believe had a 32 inch barrel.

Some people get 27 inches for Renegades and 29 inches for Hawkens because they count the breechplug in the length whereas the factory doesn’t.

And although they’re rarer than rooster lips, the Hawken also came in 58 caliber.

Thanks for that info. I suspected the barrels were being improperly measured in many online auctions in all the websites.

I actually started out with a 58 Hawken and then a 58 Renegade in the previous century! Loved that caliber and how hard it hit out to 100 yards. Sold the Hawken because I preferred the Renegade for hunting. Sold Renegade when I got on a .54 kick and wish I never did.

Found an old 3x5 file card box with all my previous owned weapon's cards inventoried in it. Listed what they were, what I paid (and when) and what I did with them. Pretty much brought some tears to my eyes.

Browning did the same thing with .22's years ago sometime in the early 1970's. The gunsmith that did it was a friend of my father's. He took a 26 inch barrel, cut it back an inch at a time and each time 10 shots were chronographed. They found that with standard velocity ammo, 16 inches was the point of diminishing returns. With high velocity ammo, the point was reached at 18 inches.

all renegades are 1 inch. 54 hawkens are 1 inch. 45 and 50 hawkens are 15/16, senecas and cherokees are 13/16 . i believe this is correct.

You are correct, and the Patriot pistols also had a shorter 9" x 13/16" bbl and the same locks as the Cherokee/Seneca - backwards set triggers, though.

You are correct, and the Patriot pistols also had a shorter 9" x 13/16" bbl and the same locks as the Cherokee/Seneca - backwards set triggers, though.

The Patriot hammer is the same as Seneca/Cherokee but the lock is completely different.

Just came across this and I measure my .45 Hawken barrel at 29 inches right to the line of the tang. Where the barrel and tang butt together.
OK, can’t argue with your ability to use a tape measure, however the standard length measurement as defined by TC as the length of the barrel, where barrel and the breech plug meet. Should be 28”. The breech is NOT included in the traditional TC factory barrel length measurement as mentioned by @bubba.50 above.

Just came across this and I measure my .45 Hawken barrel at 29 inches right to the line of the tang. Where the barrel and tang butt together.
Thank you for reminding us that the outside length of a T/C breech plug is 1", 😉
Look at it this way,, at least it's not 30mm, God Bless America.

OK, can’t argue with your ability to use a tape measure, however the standard length measurement as defined by TC as the length of the barrel, where barrel and the breech plug meet. Should be 28”. The breech is NOT included in the traditional TC factory barrel length measurement as mentioned by @bubba.50 above.
Right, I agree. I'm just curious as to why mine is 29" weird.....

Back