• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Thousands of missing fingers" ?????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
There's a guy on another board who posted that there are "thousands of muzzleloaders who have missing fingers" from reloading too soon after taking a shot due to embers in the bore.
Personally I don't know of anyone who has had that happen to them, and I'm inclined not to believe it...thought I'd toss it out here for other views.

Remember...I'm not talking about the age old speculation that "it MIGHT happen"...but asking if others are in fact aware that "thousands of muzzleloaders have lost fingers" because it HAS happend to them??

Does anybody know anybody who has lost a finger like this?

There is a feller in this forum that didn't lose and fingers buttttttttttt, he shot a hole thru his hand :redthumb:

Never heard of it happening.
Seems if you loaded too quickly all you'd get is a big flash from the charge as you poured it.
I hope to never find out.

Huntin

There's a guy on another board who posted that there are "thousands of muzzleloaders who have missing fingers" from reloading too soon after taking a shot due to embers in the bore.

I could see this happening during the run of the Civil War or the battles before this, but not so in this day of safety contentiousness...

If you pour from the horn to a separate measure, the most you will have if it goes off is charred finger tips, the powder should have gone off long before the projectile has been positioned over the muzzle...

The chance of the embers waiting until the projectile is seated is slim to none at best, as soon as the fresh powder hits the hot ember, it should ignite, leaving no time to place a bullet over the muzzle, unless you are using a speed loader... :hmm:

I only know of one person that lost a finger, however it wasn't from reloading. He placed a finger over the bore and popped a cap to feel the puff of air and ensure the nipple wasn't blocked. It was a bad move because he forgot the gun was left loaded.... :shocking:

Can't imagine there are thousands. I'd have to go with the other replies, maybe some burned fingers.

Thousands of injuries sounds like something Barbara Boxer and Ted Kennedy would come up with as an excuse to do away with ML's for being too dangerous. This is one of those things that can happen. It is possible, and has happened in the past, but it's very rare. In fact it is so rare that you never hear of it. At one time here in Oregon there was a shoot that required the bore be wiped between every shot just for this reason. It was a big multi state shoot. That rule made so many people mad that the shoot no longer takes place. So, you can see that there are some folks that take this seriously. You can also see that tradionalists and especially buckskinners and a rather independent lot. Now, let me say this -- the chance of premature firing is the very reason why artillery is sponged between shots. After the wet sponge the gunnar places his gloved thumb over the vent to stop the rush of air from possibly fanning a spark as the charge is rammed. However I would guess that the sheer size of the cannon charge and possibilities of embers of the cloth or paper cartridge still being in the breech might be a cause of the spark in the cannon. I don't know of anyone getting hurt loading a rifle or pistol, but I do know of one guy putting on a demonstration trying to rapid fire a muzzleloading cannon and not following proper safety procedures. He lost his ear drums, both eyes and both hands. This happened just a few years ago I think in Utah. Just for the record, I'm one of the guys that quit going to the Oregon shoot because I'm not going to wipe the bore between shots unless my bore is fouled and I have to, and I'm not going to have some city boy tell me I have to. It's my fingers and if I loose some it's my fault. Leave me alone, I'll do it my way, thank you. However, I'm not suggesting that you do that. Just because I don't wipe the bore between shots don't mean you do it that way because I do. There is always a chance that it could happen, and if your are worried about it, wipe the bore between shots. Nobody will laugh at you for doing it, and some of the best shots in the country swab between every shot. I also own a cannon with a two inch bore. I use aluminum foil for the cartridge, and I swab the bore between shots with a really wet sponge. For those of you who think the charge will go off when the powder hits the ember, there fore it wouldn't be shooting a finger off I have something for you to think about, and you can try your own experiments. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't have the exact figures, but it takes somewhere around 400 degrees to set off black powder. A lit cigarete won't set of the powder. Trust me, I have a cannon, and I've primed with 4F and had all sorts of problems getting the priming to ingnite using all sorts of glowing embers. You say "Well in the old days the navy primed with loose powder and fired with the ember on a rope attached to a linstock". Yup, you're right. BUT -- and that's a BIG BUTT. The rope was saturated with salt peter which was to keep it smoldering, and burning hotter to some extent, but not enough. There are at least a dozen or 15 commands that get a navel cannon loaded and run out to fire. The last three commands are, "Prick and Prime -- Gunners, blow your matches -- Fire". Key words, "blow your matches". The ember has to be fanned to a heat that will set off the powder. So when the powder is dumped on the ember, the heat won't set it off at that point. (before I go on, there is always that ember that will make all this out to be a lie -- this is not absolute) continuing: But when the ball is rammed down the bore, the rush of wind out the vent fans the ember and sets off the charge. In the days of the British and the Brown Bess, in combat they would fire, cock the musket and shut the frizzen, tear the cartridge and pour the powder and then ram the ball, paper and all. The rush of air out the vent would prime the pan and they were ready to shoot. I don't recommend doing this either, but seeing as how being in combat is basically dangerous anyhow, one can understand their reasons for accepting the danger of loading that way. So if the rush of air will prime the pan, then it will also fan a spark. So back to the question -- can it happen? The answer is yes. Does it happen? I've never heard of it happening. Over the 500 or so years that muzzleloaders have been around have there been thousands of fingers lost to this cause? I doubt it. I'd expect more injuries from a sharp patch knife cutting the patch at the muzzle than form embers in the bore. :m2c:

I never even heard of it happening...Hank

Me neither Hank....

Roundball I believe I'd be inclined not to put an ear to anything that fellow said! Sounds to me like he likes to embellish his tales a little too much for my tastes!

YMH&OS, :redthumb:
Chuck

..."thousands of muzzleloaders who have missing fingers" from reloading too soon after taking a shot due to embers in the bore.....
Does anybody know anybody who has lost a finger like this?

I can believe it. With hundreds of years of muzzle loading history, and millions of users loading that it's statistically possible for there to have been a less than miniscule percentage adding up to "thousands" losing the odd finger or two.

Frankly, it sounds more like someone's got a safety-bug up the butt, or has been playing in the chemicals again.

I don't know many ML shooters, but of the few I DO know, not a one is missing any body parts due to firearms of any type, and the only injuries at all are my own caused by a defective lock, and an [expletive deleted] very bloody but not life-threatening paper cut from opening a blister-pack of #11 caps.

vic

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, and I don't have the exact figures, but it takes somewhere around 400 degrees to set off black powder. A lit cigarete won't set of the powder.

Some folks in a Rangely Colo. bar,.... will disagree with you after I dribbled 'bout 15 grs. of FFG in ther "ash tray", without them know'n it!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

.......... however I agree with the rest of yore post!! :thumbsup:

YMHS
rollingb

I shoot a flinter and after firing, I wait a second and then blow down the barrel before reloading. I was told at a shooting match I went to that that was not allowed at NMLRA shoots. Since I have done this for at least a quarter century, I asked why . The answer was that if someone had a hangfire and THOUGHT the gun went off but it didn't, they could blow their heads off by blowing down the barrel just when the powder ignited. WOW!!!! I replied that if a person was so dumb as to THINK his gun went off when it didn't...he deserved to have his head blown off! It's one of those things that's better thought than spoken...wished I hadn't said it. Now I have to add blown off fingers to the headless mishaps. ::

No, never heard of such a thing. pwder would "POOFF" before a ball was seated IMO.

Yup - I'd have to agree with cowhand that this is the same kind of argument that "Uncle Teddy" likes to use in politics. Make up an imaginary argument that might seem plausible to many, then proceed to talk about it like it's the truth. Before long, those who don't know any better are passing it on AS the truth.
Never heard of it happening (but it COULD).
:imo:

I have heard of muzzleloading guns firing during loading, as most of us have, but in 32 years of shooting these things I have never personally seen a gun go off during loading, let alone someone loosing a piece of his anatomy from it.

I don't blow down the barrel because I think it sets a very poor example to the kids who might see me stick a gun barrel in my mouth.
I do follow the unwritten (and written) rule that says you don't want to pour powder directly from the flask into a recently fired barrel.
After loading and before priming, I keep my gun pointed towards the sky until I'm at the firing line when I point it downrange.
This is just common courtesy.

I believe anyone who makes a statement like the one quoted, about thousands of fingers being lost or blown off, is just taking some hearsay and blowing it out of all proprotion for their own purposes.
It wouldn't be the first, and it won't be the last pure outright lie that has been made about guns and shooting. These lies are usually made by people who want firearms, and all activities using them, banned. :curse: :curse: :curse:

Zonie,.... I agree!!,... and thet brings up anuther question,... "who" was the fella thet said this, and what "board" did he say it on????

YMHS
rollingb

I shoot a flinter and after firing, I wait a second and then blow down the barrel before reloading. I was told at a shooting match I went to that that was not allowed at NMLRA shoots. Since I have done this for at least a quarter century, I asked why . The answer was that if someone had a hangfire and THOUGHT the gun went off but it didn't, they could blow their heads off by blowing down the barrel just when the powder ignited.

I, too, would like to know the basis of the "no blowing down the barrel" rule! A couple of years ago when I was our club Rangemaster, I caught some grief when a fellow club member started going off on this point as it was a NMLRA rule to not allow blowing down the barrel. Fine. No argument there, but our club rules came first and we had not implemented that particular rule, even though most folks were no longer doing it. Like you said, it was a long developed habit for most and it was actually encouraged in the past as a safety measure! Now, when someone blew down the barrel from habit, this particular fellow would jump their case! He insisted I enforce this new rule. I finally had to have the club vote on it and then I was able to enforce it. But up to that point, I was a bit lenient and tolerant. Now......back to the original post that led me to this point........one of the most frequent statements for the "no blowing down the barrel" rule is that "someone" blew down the barrel and blew his head off. OK..... WHO? When? Where? And most importantly......HOW!? If the gun had discharged, and the blowing down the barrel is the habit we learned AFTER firing, HOW could there be powder and a charge down there to do this kind of damage? To date, I have not heard of a single, verifiable instance of someone inflicting severe injury for blowing down the barrel after discharging their gun. If anyone knows of the details, I would certainly like to be informed.

And, as to the "thousands of fingers".........I know of no one who has lost even one. Of course, I've only been in this hobby for only 32 years.......

TexiKan
-----------------
A man cannot build a reputation on what he is going to do!

Is this a world wide statistic or USA only?

If "thousands of muzzleloaders who have missing fingers" did happen, I would think it should have made the 10:00 news...

"thousands of muzzleloaders who have missing fingers"

Someone was kind enuff to PM me "who" made the famous quote above, and my reply was,.... "It figgers"!! :youcrazy:

(I also checked the "member list",.... and don't see him listed as a "member" of this forum :applause:)

YMHS
rollingb

I've been blowin down the bbl. for 40+ years, for one single reason. To make sure the air way is clear,expecially

after I wipe the bore. A rifle is kinda like a human, if the air way is clogged things don't work to well :eek: I guess they should ban ramrods cause they have been shot down range or at least make manditory they have rubber suction cups on the ends to minimize their danger should that happen ::

Back