• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

To the older guys…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that problem. It's not just the guns, but it's all our family pictures and heirlooms. The younger people today don't want our stuff. All the things we saved from our own families history is not respected or of value to this generation.
When my dad died in 2022, I got tons of photo albums. I also got letters…yes those things written on paper and mailed.. from my grandparents to each other when they were newlyweds. I got letters to my mom when she was in college, I got awards that my dad received from years of government work. They are at my house. Yea they take up space but they are priceless and can’t be replaced.

On another note…
My younger son goes shooting with me. He isn’t fascinated by guns like I am. That’s fine. I’d much rather him be take it or leave it with guns than liberal. I feel for some of you.

I hope this thread raises some interesting ideas, look like we are on the way.
Yea, I've thought about it. Family isn't interested in anything I've accumulated over the years. Firearms wise I just don't know. I would sure like them to be appreciated by someone. Of course, the way things are going they might soon be more than wall-hangers: such as air and water are necessities.

When my dad died in 2022, I got tons of photo albums. I also got letters…yes those things written on paper and mailed.. from my grandparents to each other when they were newlyweds. I got letters to my mom when she was in college, I got awards that my dad received from years of government work. They are at my house. Yea they take up space but they are priceless and can’t be replaced.

On another note…
My younger son goes shooting with me. He isn’t fascinated by guns like I am. That’s fine. I’d much rather him be take it or leave it with guns than liberal. I feel for some of you.
My Da started me off at around 6. I loved it. Took my boy with me to the range, but he hated it. Oh well... Then at around 12 or so he asked to go. He shot away every round we had apart from the ammo in my EDC. He took a liking to my 1891 Mauser, so I found him a nicer one and give him that for Christmas. Come July he asks me how much a Ruger 10/22 costs.
"D'pends. They make several models."
"I got $600 saved up."
Well he got one with the 20" bull barrel in stainless from me, but I made him use some of his ash on a case, and he got decent one-piece rod and everything from a bipod, scope, sling and who knows what else. Glad they don't come with a bayonet, 'cos that goes back to the '91 Mauser.
Then last year, (he's now 16) out the blue he says to me "what do you think of a PTR?"
"Who is PTR?"
"Like a civilian G3" he says like I'm Joe Bribem.
"Ahhh...." I catch on quicker than Bribem. "How much?"
"$1300 but I got $900." Guess what happened.
Then last week, it coming perilously close to Christmas he says "You like the M1 Carbine?"
I think there should be a word "Preherit." It refers to your kids inheriting all the stuff you wish you had at that age. Without you actually owning it except in a legal 'you bought it, it's in your safe, and you have the key to it' technicality. He'll get a key when he's 18.

As one of the first posters, this is getting a lil depressing. Let's liven things up a bit.

My buddy runs a bowling alley where they have a claw machine. Let's see how much he can make and donate from people trying to get my walker out of there with that claw😋 Tell everyone i know i buried my most valuable guns under the headstone Arch Stanton🤣🤣

Things do have ways of turning around, all three of my daughters shot 22s at junior rifle club. The middle daughter said, I could never shoot anything that's live, then she married a ranch boy and then she said, the raccoons are destroying my garden, so I gave her my single shot 410 and she found out that not all animals are sacred. Now they're all in their late 50s, and two of them have asked for something for protection so I have gave away 3 pistols. Hope to see the youngest daughter tomorrow and perhaps I can shed another one. Sometimes, takes a lot of years for things to turn around.
Squint

Whats happened ?
REALITY happens as we age, in my case at 71 I'm retiring in Thailand late next year - early 2025, I need to really retire and Guns aren't a happening thing where I'm going to be.
Reality is, there's no way around it.
Thailand… there are worse places to live out ones days. Beautiful scenery, people, history, beautiful women!

At 83 I have the same problem, the wife worries about this too. I contacted a friend that has a gun shop in the area about this (fairest dealer I know). When the time comes to move the guns (antique and modern) he will purchase the firearms and ammo. That's the best deal we could come up with. Antiques could be donated to the NRA Museum was another idea ...

The length of this thread shows that the subject is on many minds.
No shat! When i asked the original question I had no idea it would raise so many responses. I just retired, not that old as things go, but the responses have been amazing. I think maybe I raised a spot.
Keep them coming.

Well, I already have that settled, my gun, horn, pouch and knife is to be buried with me as well as some other possible that I need in the hereafter

Late to the thread, but read through it all. Very interesting comments. I too am blessed that both my Sons enjoy shooting, modern and BP, especially my oldest Son. They both hunt, but don’t have much time for it. My oldest granddaughter is an avid shooter, my 2 grandsons are too young to pass verdict but hopefully I’ll live long enough to see them interested. I’ve already given my Sons most of my modern stuff, I don’t fool with those anymore. The Last several kits I put together were specifically for my Sons and grandsons. So I’m confident all my shooting stuff and tools will be kept in the family. But as said, after the fact it won’t matter much. And, as said, what’s most important is to prepare yourself to reach the right destination when that day comes.

Luckily I've been able to get my nieces and nephew into guns. Even more i got them to appreciate classic style of wood and metal. So hopefully they will get good use.
On the sader side, if im to old to use them, I'm to old to be here. No matter what, I'm taking a couple with me. If my family didn't want them I'd put a fair price on them so they wouldn't get screwed. If i had no family, maybe donate somehow that would help the sport.

And for fun, cement one in my headstone with the inscription "ye who pulls gun from stone shall be king". Booby trap my coffin with one for the guy that hears i was buried with guns and wants to rob me🍻.
Ha! I love the booby trap idea!!

Luckily I've been able to get my nieces and nephew into guns. Even more i got them to appreciate classic style of wood and metal. So hopefully they will get good use.
On the sader side, if im to old to use them, I'm to old to be here. No matter what, I'm taking a couple with me. If my family didn't want them I'd put a fair price on them so they wouldn't get screwed. If i had no family, maybe donate somehow that would help the sport.

And for fun, cement one in my headstone with the inscription "ye who pulls gun from stone shall be king". Booby trap my coffin with one for the guy that hears i was buried with guns and wants to rob me🍻.
I’ll have them lay a Claymore on my chest…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back