• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditions flintlock "mountain Rifle" 50 cal 1:66

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorren68

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone here own and shoot one of these rifles? I have someone offering me a trade for a marlin 336 30/30 I have, but I am not familiar with this gun or traditions quality. Any advice good or bad is welcome.

ebiggs said:
I wouldn't but you aren't me! :wink:

Have to agree there. Are you sure that its a "Traditions" and not a CVA?

Now, this is from my experiences with Tradition rifles. Some folks have had good rifles from them, Myself....no. My bud....no. The locks themselves in the past were junk. Frizzens not being hardened and the geometry of the hammer was way off. Take a look though for yourself, maybe ask to go out to the range and throw some lead down range before you decide. It was a few years ago. Best of luck though.

lorren68 said:
Tell me why you would not.

OK!
A Marlin is a nice gun Traditions (or CVA whichever) is not. My personal opinion but you do as you see fit. And I hope it turns out to be a wonderful gun for you.

A Marlin 336 is too valuable to trade for a Traditions or CVA gun.

Save your money and buy a decent flintlock. Deals are out there. I bought I rip off TC then the next week bought an unfired .58 TC Renegade for $100.00. Take your time, be sure of what you are getting, be patient.

Greg

I don't know what your marlin is worth but I wouldn't give over $200- $250 for a used traditions mountain rifle depending on what shape it was in. If you look around you can probably find one for a lot less than that. The lock quality on them was sort of hit and miss so I would have to shoot it first.

Just so everyone understands, I have no use for the marlin 336, but it is in pristine condition. I just want a flintlock, as far as saving for one that is not likely to happen in the near future. i already have a T/C Hawken in 50 cal and I love it, but I want a flintlock.

I'm where you're at lorren68, I'm desperately wanting a flintlock. I'm also looking to swap out something for one too, but you can do much better than a Traditions or CVA with your 336.

I believe he may be talking about a traditions mountain rifle,sound familiar?Supposedly the leftovers of Austin and Halleck mountain rifle.I have one and its definately not standard traditions lock or cheap wood.Great looking and shooting gun.From my experiences with 336 I don't think you could go wrong on the trade if mountain rifle has been taken care of.

The Traditions my cause you to develop the "Not want a flintlock ever again" syndrome. Unreliable flintlocks have turned guys back to cap guns forever.

But the gun can be made to be somewhat reliable, but I have never had one, only saw them at the range. If not, L&R may have replacement flintlock lock for it if it has the same lock as an old CVA.

Ask for some boot.

Bob

:nono: You would be better off to sell the Marlin outright and put the money towards a nicer rifle. BE PATIENT!! The right deal will come your way. You'd be surprised where you'll find the deal your looking for. Like it was said earlier, you don't want a case of the " I never want a flintlock again". That traditions will certainly do that. Good luck!!

If it truly is a traditions mountain rifle it DOES NOT have the CVA or Traditions lock.A lot of advice from a lot of people who have never seen one much less owned one!The mountain rifle I have is way above any other traditions or cva I have owned(probably 20+/- thru the years).Never a missfire (although I haven't really shot it an awful lot)and is on a par with the lesser grade A+H wood and fit wise.A good Quality gun so far,which I can't say about a Marlin 336(owned 3).

lorren68 said:
I have no use for the marlin 336, but it is in pristine condition. I just want a flintlock

Then sell the 336 (it's worth more than that mountain rifle) and use the money to buy a better quality flintlock.

If your Marlin is pre-Remington (no "R" in the serial number) I would not get rid of it. They are only going to increase in value IMO. A lot of the Remington-Marlins are having quality issues. As a result people are looking for the older rifles.

Because the original post is about CVA Mountain Rifles I won't move the topic to the Non Muzzleloading Forum and will instead ask you folks to quit talking/writing about modern weapons here.

They do not belong in this Forum area.

If it were a percussion rifle then I would say yes. Since its a flintlock I would stay away never had good luck with a traditons flintlock. However there are siler locks available that you can cut the plate to fit the traditons rifles and have a better gun but then your gun has more money invested then what it will be worth in the long run. Your better option for an entry level flinter would be looking for someone who has a cabelas blue ridge or Pedesoli frontier rifle (same gun) they go new for around 600-650 they work very well and much better gun IMO and experience.

Hell, I’d make that trade in a second! If it is the rifle that stude 283 is talking about. It is an Austin & Hallick. I don’t know what everyone else is talking about. Really you guys wouldn’t trade a 336 for and Austin & Hallick?

Back