• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditions flintlock "mountain Rifle" 50 cal 1:66

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lorren68, if the "Traditions Mountain Rifle looks like the one below, you would be ahead on a trade for a Marlin 336, which is worth only about $300-$350.

pop_wm_3888447.jpg

These particular "Traditions Mountain Rifles" are actually built from NOS Austin & Halleck Mountain Rifle parts, bought at a distress sale after A&H went bankrupt.

I have two A&H .50 cal rocklocks - a 1:28 twist conical gun & a 1"66 PRB gun - and have found both to be reliable and accurate over the last four years of hunting/shooting.

And, "NO", I wouldn't recommend any other "Traditions" muzzleloader - since every one I've had contact with (that others have owned) had accuracy probs, mostly due to tight/loose spots in the same barrel.

I've always thought those A&H rifles were painfully handsome and finely built. It has also been my experience that Traditions barrels are very accurate and well bored and rifled. I can say the same thing about the old CVAs and Pedersoli guns. These particular imported barrels are the best thing about them.

hanshi said:
I've always thought those A&H rifles were painfully handsome and finely built. It has also been my experience that Traditions barrels are very accurate and well bored and rifled. I can say the same thing about the old CVAs and Pedersoli guns. These particular imported barrels are the best thing about them.

yep, have to agree. Seen good things from the Douglas and the Junker barrels, I few others were iffy. To me the Junker barrels are under appreciated and easy to pick up cheap. The other parts... Well,...

AS to worth the trade? Prices vary widely, In the PNW. Rock locks are not the hot seller, caps more so and the ones that load from the front on the loading bench are worth much more.

Sell what you have, I guess. And save a few more quarters and get something like this http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/...=1036&osCsid=c45d92d6b8c8addaa943659e936defb6 They post different products as they come available. Had Crocketts a while back for darn cheap... and I was too slow :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input, but I have decided to forgo the flintlock in favor of another cap lock. From all the posts I have seen on here it is not worth the trouble to own a flintlock unless you can afford one of those custom built $5ooo jobs, and that aint in my budget.

Back