• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

traditions flintlock "mountain Rifle" 50 cal 1:66

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jumpshot said:
lorren68 said:
I have no use for the marlin 336, but it is in pristine condition. I just want a flintlock

Then sell the "modern" (it's worth more than that mountain rifle) and use the money to buy a better quality flintlock.

im with this! (edited the qoute to meet forum rules.)

the modern will sell for more by itself which could buy you a better flintlock.

-matt

stude 283 said:
If it truly is a traditions mountain rifle it DOES NOT have the CVA or Traditions lock.A lot of advice from a lot of people who have never seen one much less owned one!The mountain rifle I have is way above any other traditions or cva I have owned(probably 20+/- thru the years).Never a missfire (although I haven't really shot it an awful lot)and is on a par with the lesser grade A+H wood and fit wise.A good Quality gun so far,which I can't say about a Marlin 336(owned 3).

Now you've jogged my memory. Seems Traditions did take over Austin/Halleck several years ago. If the gun he is talking about is that one then heck yeah that might be a pretty good trade.

Bob

He said it is a Traditions Mountain rifle, .50 cal. 1 in 66" twist. This is the old Austin Halleck, as far as I know it is the only "Mountain Rifle" Traditions ever made. I'd say go for it!

Yea,
Maybe someone actually read the original post before showing their vast knowledge.cva mountain rifle=1 in 48 twist.Traditions mountain rifle(A+H) is 1 in 66.

stude 283 said:
Yea,
Maybe someone actually read the original post before showing their vast knowledge.cva mountain rifle=1 in 48 twist.Traditions mountain rifle(A+H) is 1 in 66.

According to my vast knowledge, my CVA Mountain Rifle has a 1:70 twist.

stude 283 said:
Yea,

:shake:

My buddy has a CVA Mountain Rifle, it is a .50 cal marked "Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. MADE IN USA." Has 1:66 twist with a 32 inch barrel. Is it possible that CVA may have put out another barrel that was 1:48?

flyfisher76544 said:
Is it possible that CVA may have put out another barrel that was 1:48?

The CVA Mountain Hunter had a 1:48 twist. This is from an old CVA brochure...

Today, CVA continues that tradition with the Mountain Hunter Rifle . Featuring a 32” blued barrel with a 1:48” twist, this rifle is great for plinking with round balls or for hunting down big game with your favorite conical bullet. The stock is made with an UltraGrain hardwood finish and is trimmed in blued hardware.

My CVA Bobcat is 1:48. A friend's CVA Hawken was 1:70 however.

Oddly enough he devastated a deer with a conical but he nearly missed the animal entirely. He wasn't the most dedicated to accuracy however....as I would have used a PBR in that rifle.

Greg

Jumpshot said:
flyfisher76544 said:
Is it possible that CVA may have put out another barrel that was 1:48?

The CVA Mountain Hunter had a 1:48 twist. This is from an old CVA brochure...

Today, CVA continues that tradition with the Mountain Hunter Rifle . Featuring a 32” blued barrel with a 1:48” twist, this rifle is great for plinking with round balls or for hunting down big game with your favorite conical bullet. The stock is made with an UltraGrain hardwood finish and is trimmed in blued hardware.

Sooooo, the "Mountain rifle" was a 1:66 and the "Hunter" had the 1:48 twist. Thanks!!
Have to store that away with "The Vast Knowledge" I reckon. :blah: :rotf: :rotf:

GoodCheer said:
Never seen a vast but I have two Traditions flintlocks that surely could put one in the freezer.

Well ya know what they say, anything will taste good once you add some bbq!

Thanks to all for the input, I have decided to forgo getting a flintlock and stick with percussion. Too much hassle trying to figure out the good from the bad, looking at a T/C in 45 to go with my 50

Pedersoli Frontier flintlock (Cabela's sells it as a "Blue Ridge") is a good choice. Has a larger lock and frizzen than most of the other flinters. Expect to pay $450-650 for a good one. Is light and very well balanced, has a buckhorn rear sight which is nice for older eyes.

I've had one for a couple of years now (.50 cal) and it's just getting broke in good.

Take my advice, sell the other rifle. Anyone can shoot a firearm with a cartridge in it but a flinter is a relationship thing.

I will just stick with percussion, with all the varying opinions I have received it is just not worth the effort if it is this much trouble to find a good one. As far as the purchasing a new rifle, I don't want to spend that much money on something that may or may not work out of the box.

Pedersoli also makes a percussion model of the same rifle.

I believe you are approaching this is a very sensible fashion. Good luck.

I have never held or seen a pedersoli gun, so I will limit my choice to the T/C brand.

Back