• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

triggers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

great plains

32 Cal.
Reaction score
got a lyman GP trying to get the triggers better.. and mess them up the front trigger is to heavy :cursing: the big screw fore the front trigger you can turn it all the in in the middle and all the way out dont help a bit :hmm: where is the 2 screw's on your GP :bow: :bow: i'called lyman the lady on the phone said the screw between the trigger's in fore the front triiger.. and the small screw is fore the back trigger :( where is the 2 screw's on your's GP :bow: :bow: thanks WORM

There is a small headed screw that is between the two triggers.

This screw adjusts the amount of engagement the front trigger has with the rear spring loaded set trigger.
Screwing it in will reduce the engagement the front trigger has. This doesn't really make its pull "lighter", it simply makes the distance you need to move the trigger to release the rear spring trigger less.

The screw that is supplied with the Lyman Great Plains Rifle is not long enough to do what it is intended to do. Don't ask why, no one knows.

Because this screw, even when it is working doesn't really make the trigger easier to pull I've learned to just get used to the longer trigger pull.

Several of our members wanted to shorten the distance their front trigger needed to be pulled to release the rear set trigger so they went to a hardware store and bought a longer metric threaded screw. I think it is a 2.5mm thread but the best way to match it is to take your little screw to a hardware store that carries metric screws and have them match it. Your new screw needs to be longer than your old one.

The other screw is located behind the rear set trigger. It is a headless screw that pushes on the rear set triggers spring to reduce the amount of force needed to "cock" the set trigger.

This screw is a bit too short to really reduce the spring pressure much and you may want to replace it when you buy the forward screw.

Without the rear "set trigger" being set (cocked) the front trigger will release the hammer but it will have a rather hard pull.

Beyond polishing the mating surfaces there isn't much you can do about this unless you want to buy an after market trigger that is made for your gun.
These after market triggers work very well and will improve both the front trigger and the set trigger considerably.
I believe L&R makes such a trigger assembly.

the rear trigger spring.. how tight should the screw be???? mine came lose last not and the rear trigger will not set??? is it to tight?? to lose??? i'was looking at that trigger fore a t.c get 40 bucks and i'will get that one... win i' first got the lyman had to take the triggers apart and polish them... thanks WORM

Back