• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Truly big bore smoothie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelgourmet

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at auction arms and they had a underhammer smoothbore 4 bore :shocking: for $750.00. It handles a 350gr charge :shocking: Have any of you fired a 8+ bore gun? If so please share your experiences. If had'nt just bought a new toy i'd consider getting one (here I come africa). I think my new smoothie 56 will be plenty of gun for my neck of the woods though. :peace:

i have fired an 8 guage exactly once. A fellow shooter let me fire his at a trap shoot last fall. He was a good sized fellow, and the gun was a bit big overall for me. (that's my excuse for missing the clay bird, & i'm sticking to it.) He consistantly shoot 25's in the matches while i was there. The gun was not unpleasant to shoot. It was a single barrel gun, constructed specifically for trap shooting.

rayb

350 Gr?!?!?!?! :youcrazy: HOLY manure!!! That thing will kill on both ends. :crackup:

A friend of mine in Wyoming is a blackpowder builder. He built a 4 bore for a guy and had photos of the person doing the test shoot. Would have been nice for a time elapsed photo showing the guy going on his back.

350 grains is light, F.C. Selous had a pair of Dutch made 4 bore guns that he used 16-18 drams (437-500gr) of powder in front of a 1750gr ball :youcrazy:. Selous was also quoted as saying "They kicked most frightfully, and in my case the punishment I recieved from these guns has affected my nerves to such an extent as to have materially influenced my shooting ever since, and I am heartily sorry I ever had anything to do with them."

I don't think I will complain about the recoil my .54 puts out when I used the 450 gr conicals. Still I think a safari with one of these beast would be amazing, doing something no one has done for probably 120+ years

In the 50's or 60's, Turner Kirkland went on Safari with a 6 bore Rathbone, shooting Elephant and other worthwile beasts.
: I doubt more than a handful including Ross Seyfried have fired a 4 bore recently.
: His articles in Rifle magazine on the big beasts are always very good reading.
: I believe the largest he's used on North American game recently are 12 bore and 16 bore rifles- singles, I believe.
: My buddy Keith hunts with an 11 bore every year. Judge the rifle as using conicals, and it is a true 10 bore rifle.
: I shot an 8 bore double with it's 975gr. bullets back in the 70's. It spun me(190lbs.-6'1") like a weathercock. I wasn't quite ready for that big a push. - HA! - Push :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
: I regularly shoot 500gr. bullets at 2,100fps and think they kick a bit. The 8 bore kicks a bit more!- HAHAHAHAHA!

I saw an 8 bore flinlock rifle in a store near Toledo a little over a year ago. The owner had taken it to Africa that year (2003), and took several head of game including a cape buff, using round balls. It was cool. :RO:

Java, Gary practically made that thing from scratch! He was nice enough to ask me if I wanted to try 'n shoot it. I was dumb enough to say yes. If I recollect right, he was using 225 grains of 2f Goex. It was during the summer and bruised the heck outa' my shoulder! But, a beautiful gun it was!!!

I have an 8 guage sxs that I use often for clays. Used it on geese and grouse. I use light loads in it though as I have no need for heavy loads. For clays I use 80g F and 1 1/2 oz shot. same load most guys use in a 12g. On geese I use 100g f and 1 3/4oz #2 shot. I have a RB mould for it (.790) but have not used RB in it yet. If memory serves, I believe the .790 ball is about 770 grains.

If you're really into big Booms!, check with john and Linda at October Country. They build single shot rifles using the Forsythe rifling twist, 1-104"!! The guns can be ordered in bores from .62" to .94", that's a 4-bore in anybody's yard. They also build a double percussion 8-bore, complete with photo of some dude with a dead lion at his feet...just where he landed!! Wow!!, you'd have to revive me with a lot of Henry McKenna and nickname me "Skid Mark"!!!!!! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

It handles a 350gr charge :shocking:

Hot Dickerty :what: I only put 275 in my wall gun :thumbsup:

094.jpg

Nightwind,

Yeah, that was a cool piece. I would have liked to shoot it, ONCE! My .58 fullstock flint Hawken will take anything I need to wory about. For really big stuff, I'd just use a minnie instead of a RB. :m2c:

Some day if I get rich i'll get one of those october country double 8's but realistically a Smoothbore 4 bore is in my range at 750.00. William Cotton Oswell used a double 10 bore smoothie for his adventures in Afica. For him, being in range meant being 20-30 paces away from the beast. I think he must have been very crazy or very confident, that is too close to something that could stomp you into a mudhole. At that range I think I would only want a 8 or 4 bore.

Shop around. I paid $800cad ($600us) for my original sxs 8g in EXC condition. If it's a double perc you want, originals can still be had for reasonable prices

Back