• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is your lowest hunting charge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amikee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm shooting a decent groupings using 60 pyrodex select (in process of development the load). Would 60 do on a deer say to 50-60yards? What are your lowest hunting loads for whitetail?

I'm going to assume your shooting a 50cal rifle. Yes, 60gr is plenty for whitetails out to 75yds or so. My wife and i routinely hunt deer with 60gr-3f and PRB in our 45cal rifles. With now nearly 30 deer in the bag, we've only ever found 1 RB in an animal. She killed her first mulie doe with a head-on shot that left the ball under the skin back near the hip joint. As in all hunting shots, placement means everything. There's no substitute for accuracy. BTW, i use 60gr-3f in my 54's as well. Hope this helps, Buzzard

I use 90 grains of Tripple seven 2f in my TC Hawken 50 cal with Hornady great plains bullets and a felt wad.

I approach my .50cal Flintlock for deer hunting as a 100 yard deer rifle...I view the .50cal as the open sight .30-30 of the muzzleloader world...a good, solid, accurate, 100 yard deer gun.

And always wanting to be prepared for that B&C buck of a lifetime standing a long ways down a loggers road, I use a good strong hunting load:

90grns Goex 3F
.022" Oxyoke patch
.490" ball

And it makes no difference if I take one closer with that load...kills them dead at 60yds too.

I use moderate hunting loads now in my FDC and did in rifles before I started closeing up the range I would shoot as my eyes grew older,the load you use is good for 60 yds, the question is can you let that buck that Roundball mentioned walk if you see him at 100 yds? if not absolutely certain you can then a stouter load might be a good idea.

On my next range session I will try to develop a better load. Lately in CT has been raining like crazy. Now, I'm shooting pyrodex select ffg. This is not same volume as e.g. Goex, right? I have to put a little more?

Amikee said:
On my next range session I will try to develop a better load. Lately in CT has been raining like crazy. Now, I'm shooting pyrodex select ffg. This is not same volume as e.g. Goex, right? I have to put a little more?
No...Pyrodex is designed to be used as an equal volume in place of Goex.
ie: If you were going to use a 100grn measure of Goex and decided to switch to Pyrodex, you still use the same 100grn measure of Pyrodex.

(Pyrodex actually "weighs" less than Goex, but its chemical composition is such that the same "volume" of Pyrodex will produce the same amount of energy as the same "volume" of Goex)

Thanks Roundball. This is a good information. I've read, that some powders need to be reduced by volume. Just wasn't sure if it was Pyrodex. Looking forward to switching to Goex or Swiss. I've heard of great results with them. Thanks again

If you could get her up to say, 75grs, that's all you need...

Now, I'm going to bet the patches are the problem...Most don't give patches and lube enough attention...The next range session, take a tarp, put it about 15 steps in front of the muzzle and collect your patches...Post them up on here and we can give you some opinions (we are very good at this... :) )

Years ago, I tried different lubes in my rifles...I'd put 6-8 in a zip loc bag with the lube labled...I noticed a big difference in accuracy and in how they looked after being shot...

Hello

Thanks for advise, but for now my patches look pretty. So far this is the only charge I tried, and working 7 days/week makes it difficult to visit the range. Perhaps there will be a patch problem with higher loads. We'll see. Maybe this saturday will be another tryout day. I tell you all, I Love my muzzleloader. Even though is percussion , it gives me such a pleasure and relaxation I have never experienced with my centerfires. Weird. But true. Just wished I had a little more time to shoot. :v

This is not same volume as e.g. Goex, right? I have to put a little more?

Use the same volume. I've chronoed both side by side using the same volume measure and they shot very close to same velocity.

My wife uses 60 grains of 3f Goex in her short-barreled 54 cal. She never shoots past 50 yards and has never needed a second shot on deer. In fact we've never recovered a ball from her deer. But here's the thing: You absolutely DO NOT want to challenge her to a shooting match unless you like embarrassment. :grin:

Quite a few years ago, I killed a large 8-point whitetail with 50 grains of FFg powder in my .50 longrifle. Distance was about 75 yards and the ball lodged just under the skin on the off-side after breaking the near-side shoulder. These days, I would consider that load a little light for that distance, but I can't really argue with the results. :idunno:

Last year, I killed a small doe out of a tree stand with my Colt Dragoon. I was using 45 grains of FFFg behind a .454 ball and getting about 1100 fps, if I remember correctly. I had limited myself to 25 yards and the deer stopped broadside for a 7 yard shot. This load gave full penetration and the deer only went about 25 yards before piling up.

To make a long story short, small charges of BP can be quite effective, but I believe you should limit your range when using them due to energy and trajectory concerns. But as stated earlier, placement trumps power every time!

As a general rule (mine, only) the larger the caliber the less velocity you need and therefore less powder. By this I mean if I use 70 grains in a .45, when I use a .50 70 grains or even less is fine. I do usually use at least the same charge in a .50 as I use in a .45 and 70 grns is what I use in my .45, well, either that or 60 grains.

I have been using either my 50 or 54 TC Hawken with Hornady great plains bullets to hunt with. Using T7 2F, my lightest load is 90 grains as this is what my 50 prefers. It will drive tacks at 50 yards and I like to keep my shooting within that distance if I can. I have only recovered one bullet and it was 50 cal great plains 385 grainer. Best I could figure it had travel 30 plus inches of deer and had a perfect mushroom.

I have a Lyman Deerstalker in 54. It shoots 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds with 90grs of Pyrodex RS, 530 ball, .018 moose milk patch. I hunt mule deer in wide open country so shots can sometimes be out to 100yds. I do prefer to get closer but if I have to I'll take that 100 yd shot with a good rest. That big ball puts em down quick.

I rarely use less than 90gr in my 54. I wouldn't feel comfortable with any load less than 80. I'm shooting round ball only. I had a rare for me pass through at 50 yards on the Buck I shot 2 seasons ago. I got to get out hunting now. Good Luck to evryone thats hunting today.

Where you hit them will matter more than how hard. I use whatever load gives me the best accuracy. If 60grs is what your rifle likes, that should do well for you at the distance you describe.
The places I usually hunt are thick, and most of my deer kills have been made at what could be considered archery ranges (less than 50yds). My favorite deer rifle is .45cal and it shoots best with about 60grs Goex fffg. My .50cal likes alittle more, about 75grs.
Just remember, put your ball in a good spot and the deer will be dead.

I have never used less than 90 grains of powder and my hunting powder of choice is Tripple Seven.
I save the light wimp loads for the target range.

Back