• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to go thru some boxes of stuff in the barn to see if i could find anything useful. Here is the muzzleloading related stuff i found. Also, ran and errand and popped into a thrift shop. Got 2 dowels. 33 inch long i think - for 2 bucks each.

Attachments

• 20230627_160743.jpg
    20230627_160743.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Had a great day in our second week of teaching Muzzleloading to the Boy Scouts at Camp Raven Knob today. The young adults exceed their expectations in almost every way as they learn correct methods of handling, loading and shooting these historic firearms. “Sergeant Charlie” even demonstrated some nifty shooting of my 1733 Dragoon Flintlock Pistol. What a great opportunity for we instructors as well as the student scouts.

Attachments

• IMG_9404.jpeg
    IMG_9404.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9403.mov
    17.5 MB
Last edited:
Put a fly in the lock of a Renegade I picked up sometime back. The lock will actually pop a cap now. TOW came through with one. Expensive when shipping is added for a tiny piece of metal but makes all the difference. Don’t lose those little suckers when you work on a lock.

I did pick up a fair amount of range lead before others got there today. Want to go back real early one morning to find some more. Seems to be plenty of it laying around. Never casted round balls before, only Maxi Balls. So I’m looking forward to it.
I too like to collect range scrap and have to race others for it. I seperate out the RB and only use them for casting RB's. Otherwise you will get tin and antimony etc into your lead and balls will be hard to load and not obtuate like purer lead. I swap the harder projectiles with cowboy shooters for pure lead. Good luck.

I got the TC back together and working. At least I think it will shoot again ;)

I'm using the 3/4x3/4 flints with the edge up. I can see burned out sparks laying in the pan and they are pushing the frizzen out of the way. Something they weren't doing with the edge down.

And I wasn't happy with the wedge. It was a bear getting it out for cleaning and a bear putting it back in. I shimmed up the breech a little and that helped, but what I thought it needed was some wood in the forearm relieved. Now the wedge goes in with a strong push of the thumb and two hands. And I don't need a bamboo skewer and a mallet to get it out. If you remember this was a kit gun and I think the builder didn't spend enough time here.

The wedge in the Lyman Trade Gun I just received won't go in easily either. I'll have to take a look at that, too, I guess. But I wanted to get the TC ready to shoot again when the rain stops. And I'm done with guns tonight except maybe firing up the borescope.

The wedge in the Lyman Trade Gun I just received won't go in easily either

The tight wedge! Only thing as frustrating is the loose wedge. Especially when it falls out never to be found. 😞

The thing that has worked for me is to lay the wedge on a solid surface and do Slight taps with a light hammer and check the fit until it fits the way you want it.

The tight wedge! Only thing as frustrating is the loose wedge. Especially when it falls out never to be found. 😞

The thing that has worked for me is to lay the wedge on a solid surface and do Slight taps with a light hammer and check the fit until it fits the way you want it.
I love a tight wedge. Noticed today the wedge on my Sharpshooter is slipping out. Guess it's time for the old heat and bend...

Latest posts

Back