• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fiddling around with neck knife sheaths.

20230625_175142_copy_800x800.jpg
20230625_175121_copy_800x800.jpg

Also looking at different options for making them Also fit on a bag strap. Not the best approach. 😕

I've got three more to stitch. Think I'll sew a loop to the back for the optional strap attachment.

20230625_175455_copy_800x800.jpg

I sanded off my original carving on my practice stock and tried carving revision 2. This time I carved it in using a V tool instead of trying to stab the carving in. I am more pleased with the results. Although not as good as most of the carvings in this forum, I think that I am getting closer to trying on the real deal.

Attachments

• Rev B1.jpg
    Rev B1.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Rev B2.jpg
    Rev B2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Rev B3.jpg
    Rev B3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Rev B4.jpg
    Rev B4.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
I sanded off my original carving on my practice stock and tried carving revision 2. This time I carved it in using a V tool instead of trying to stab the carving in. I am more pleased with the results. Although not as good as most of the carvings in this forum, I think that I am getting closer to trying on the real deal.
Looks good to me 😁

I just finished fitting the new Pedersoli frizzen to my TC. I think it took me longer to do than fitting a beavertail grip safety to a 1911 frame with spurs. Well, maybe half as long.
I'm not really sure if I had to be that precise or not. Maybe it could have had more slop, and between the screw and the spring it would have positioned itself on its own and not canted. I'll never know...

But it's on there now and sparking good with a worn TC "flint". It hits higher up, too.
I'm changing flints anyway as soon as the Fuller English flints get here. It doesn't look like I'll be shooting again until these thunderstorms pass.

What’s the animal in the second picture.
That's a small Chital deer hind, Walt53. They are also known as Axis deer. They were introduced here back in the late 1800s from India. They are a very pretty species, small in stature compared to a lot of other deer. A male Chital can reach about 85 kilos. The females average at 60 kilos. This one yielded 35 kilos of various cuts. She will make excellent eating, lean and clean to the palate, no gamey taint that can be produced by rutting stags or milky does.

Pete

chital2.jpg

Fine table fare indeed!
There are scattered free range Axis deer where I hunt in central Texas, get a picture of one on the trail cameras occasionally but yet to have a shot opportunity.
Mostly escapees from high fence game ranches in the area.
VERY nice Pedersoli RMH too Aussie, love the maple stock.

That's a small Chital deer hind, Walt53. They are also known as Axis deer. They were introduced here back in the late 1800s from India. They are a very pretty species, small in stature compared to a lot of other deer. A male Chital can reach about 85 kilos. The females average at 60 kilos. This one yielded 35 kilos of various cuts. She will make excellent eating, lean and clean to the palate, no gamey taint that can be produced by rutting stags or milky does.

Pete

View attachment 231233
What about the emu and kangaroo do they make good table fair.

Does anybody remember who posted a very good description of how he attached the brass plate to a Woodsrunner’s patch box lid? I think in the last 6 months. I’ve searched and can’t find what I’m looking for.

What about the emu and kangaroo do they make good table fair.
Ha. Emu and Kangaroo have been on the table for Indigenous Australians for over 45,000 years and remains so. But, for me, being non-indigenous, though born in this my country, I come under heavy protectionist laws. Should I be found with either wild caught meat in my possession I am liable to hefty fines and confiscation of firearms and firearms licence. I can buy commercial Kangaroo meat at the butcher and at our retail outlets like Coles and Woolworths (a commercial licence is required for roo harvesting). The good cuts are very tasty. I do buy roo meat from time to time. As for emu, they are commercially farmed, but the meat is not as readily available as roo; otherwise, with the exception of Indigenous gathering and hunting, the birds are highly protected.

Kindest regards, Pete

Ha. Emu and Kangaroo have been on the table for Indigenous Australians for over 45,000 years and remains so. But, for me, being non-indigenous, though born in this my country, I come under heavy protectionist laws. Should I be found with either wild caught meat in my possession I am liable to hefty fines and confiscation of firearms and firearms licence. I can buy commercial Kangaroo meat at the butcher and at our retail outlets like Coles and Woolworths (a commercial licence is required for roo harvesting). The good cuts are very tasty. I do buy roo meat from time to time. As for emu, they are commercially farmed, but the meat is not as readily available as roo; otherwise, with the exception of Indigenous gathering and hunting, the birds are highly protected.

Kindest regards, Pete

I gotta ask, commercially speaking, is the tail a good cut?

I was mowing and accidentially veered off into the area behind the barn. Ended up cleaning up my established shooting lanes. Reset my little target made from scraps and now ready to prepare for october. My blind is an old cow servicing station from previous owner.

After mowing i changed shirts and drove to the only sporting goods store in Monticello and found cci 11 caps for 7.99. Bought 5 packs, 2 boxes of .490 lrb, and a pound of 777.

Then i upgraded my membership to be with the cool kids.

Calling it a win!

Wheelman.

Attachments

• 20230626_174335.jpg
    20230626_174335.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230626_174438.jpg
    20230626_174438.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Does anybody remember who posted a very good description of how he attached the brass plate to a Woodsrunner’s patch box lid? I think in the last 6 months. I’ve searched and can’t find what I’m looking for.
I think Phil Coffins posted about that

I gotta ask, commercially speaking, is the tail a good cut?
I don't know, Pacanis? Emus have tiny tails! 😂😂. Just kidding! Yes. The roo tail is a good cut, from the butt to about a foot out, discard the piece toward the tip. Great for slow cooking where the meat falls off into the broth or stock, discard the bones before serving as you would oxtail. The best roo cut, for roasting and barbecue, is the back strap, the long lean muscle that runs along either side of the backbone. I've never roasted a leg, mostly due to my cautious nature - there's a lot of connective tissue between the muscles on a roo's leg, understandable given that's their key form of locomotion. A great way to roast the backstrap is to push in garlic, wrap it in bacon and slow roast. Are you salivating yet?

Pete

Spent a large portion of the day just daydreaming about muzzleloaders. Although I didn't even touch one today it seems like I'm always thinking about the next one I want, or the project guns I have in the works, and such. On the way out of my shop a few minutes ago I stopped and looked at two .45-70 barrels laying on my desk. Will spend the rest of the evening wondering if I can fit a breech plug to those...

Latest posts

Back