• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a couple stolen minutes today , and was able to only look at my scratch build smooth rifle , still sitting in the vise were I last worked on it two months ago. This year sucks for time. Hope it's not like this for the rest of my life.. I'm about to pray for snow , so I can work inside , on the rifle. ........ Disgusted !

I had a couple stolen minutes today , and was able to only look at my scratch build smooth rifle , still sitting in the vise were I last worked on it two months ago. This year sucks for time. Hope it's not like this for the rest of my life.. I'm about to pray for snow , so I can work inside , on the rifle. ........ Disgusted !
Hang in there brother. You'll get it done one of these days.

I just retired. Well, a couple of weeks ago now, still havenā€™t had time to do much shooting or messing with guns. I shot more when I was working!

Now that you are retired, the time you used to work will be filled up with things you used to do nights and weekends and you won't be able to go back to work even if you wanted to. Enjoy your retirement you earned it.

Previously at the range I had promised an old man (but younger than me) that I'd let him shoot my 1851 Navy. I went to the range today to shoot an unmentionable but brought along the 1851 just in case he was there and he was, along with his son. Their first time shooting BP. They shot single handed cowboy style and both of them shot a 3-4" group on target. Good shooters and I was very proud of the 1851 behaving so well. The whole experience, loading, shooting, and a little history opened a window for them. I enjoyed watching them shoot so much that I didn't bother to shoot it myself.

I saw one of Tom A Hawkā€™s peep sights advertised on this site, and knew I just had to give one a go on the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken. It arrived in Australia, travelling safely through customs with a dangerous goods declaration attached that cautiously read: Vision Enhancement Device.

The shiny brass coloured sight is well finished, engineered to do the task. I like its unobtrusive footprint. The brass colour would be right at home on most rifles, but I thought I would lend it some patination to blend with the colour case and blued aesthetic of the Hawken (using a cold blue agent). Also, I took the liberty of rounding off the ends of the base and staff to match similar profiles of the lock and hammer. The through bolt, I found at Bunnings, our local hardware store; the M5 metric threaded bolt has a large flat surface area to mate against the base to ensure the sight stays in place. I blued the stainless bolt head by heating it over a propane camping stove, quenching it in two-stroke mower oil.

Does the sight work? Check out the target below. 11 shots fired this morning at 50 metres, 60 grains of Wano, a .018 spit-lubed patch and a .530 round ball. The rifle was locked firmly into a rear sandbag, supported by a front rest. My 66-year-old eyes were spoilt for contrast.

Thanks Tom A Hawk! Great service, and a splendid product.

Kindest regards, Pete

View attachment 205451View attachment 205452View attachment 205453View attachment 205454View attachment 205455

Impressive, can you PM more details Pete I'm considering one myself.

Before sun up. Too bad no fires allowed due to dry conditions. Camp not too far from me has propane stove so hot coffee soon.
IMG_2183.jpeg

I just retired. Well, a couple of weeks ago now, still havenā€™t had time to do much shooting or messing with guns. I shot more when I was working!
It gets worseā€¦.
Iā€™m going on 7 years now and still donā€™t know how I ever had time for a jobā€¦.šŸ„“
Congrats on your Retirement šŸ‘
Youā€™ll just have too make time for some shooting or itā€™ll never happenā€¦šŸ‘

Before sun up. Too bad no fires allowed due to dry conditions. Camp not too far from me has propane stove so hot coffee soon.
View attachment 232507
Donā€™t let those crates get wetā€¦..
They will multiply over time.šŸ¤£

Great looking camp RR šŸ‘

Enjoy your weekend, snows just around the corner..šŸ˜Ž

Latest posts

Back