• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a pistol stand for the 1858 Remington Navy 36 cal I purchased a few weeks back.

I did a lot of searching on the site and web for stand plans and didn’t find much that showed dimensions of any sort, so had to wing it. I used some cherry scraps left over from other projects. And, if you ever wondered what Aqua Fortis does for cherry, wonder no more! It turns it a really nice chocolate brown with reddish highlights on the lighter parts.

IMG_4320.jpeg

Here’s the same photo with measurements of how it turned out.

Pistol Stand Measurements.jpeg

The heel of the gun catches in an angled divot in the bottom piece made by a forstner bit and holding the piece at an angle on a drill press. I just had to cobble together some bracing to hold it in the right spot and at the angle I was guessing would work. I positioned the divot so the heel would catch as the top strap of the gun would be resting flat against the upright. It was easy enough to make a mark in the right spot and then drill it.

For the top cross piece, I just did a simple mortise in the center with a notch the width of the barrel to leave 1/8” connecting each side, glued and clamped it.

IMG_4322.jpeg

Works great and the gun sits nice and solid without any wiggle. And it’s purdy enuf to use as a display stand. I like how it turned out.

Ok, please don’t give me grief about spending money I don’t have or being a glutton, though I’m guilty of those things in other situations. While Kibler was running their 10% off sale one of my sweet, generous daughters in law (with deep pockets) ordered 2 more SMR kits for me. A .45 in Cherry that I started work on today, and a .36 in Walnut that is supposed to arrive back home tomorrow. Both will be built for her husband and my other grandson. I won’t be rushing to finish these, but after the Woodsrunners I’d forgotten that you almost feel like your building a rifle with the SMRs!

Attachments

• IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2544.jpeg
    IMG_2544.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2545.jpeg
    IMG_2545.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Ok, please don’t give me grief about spending money I don’t have or being a glutton, though I’m guilty of those things in other situations. While Kibler was running their 10% off sale one of my sweet, generous daughters in law (with deep pockets) ordered 2 more SMR kits for me. A .45 in Cherry that I started work on today, and a .36 in Walnut that is supposed to arrive back home tomorrow. Both will be built for her husband and my other grandson. I won’t be rushing to finish these, but after the Woodsrunners I’d forgotten that you almost feel like you’re building a rifle with the SMRs!
Sounds like you’ll be doing some more carving…. And making some powder horns, too!

Sounds like you’ll be doing some more carving…. And making some powder horns, too!
Yes, I’ll have plenty to keep me busy for quite a while. But I kinda have mixed emotions about them having everything turn key. I really wish the grandsons were old enough for me to teach them what little I know. Guess there’s still time as long as I stick around. It would be a shame if they didn’t appreciate all the stuff, but hopefully they will embrace the sport. I would have done handsprings as a boy to have our own land filled with deer and just about every gun imaginable, only time will tell.

The Hawken Classic went from temperatures of 104 degrees on Friday. Temps seemed to keep camp numbers low, but it was a nice place to be set up.

20230825_085440_Camo.jpg

We had quite a few people show up and shoot the original Hawken rifle in spite of the heat. @B P Maniac Shooter was there to shoot the original Hawken. I'll let him tell about it when he releases his video.

This is Missouri of course and the heat wave broke Friday night. When the heat breaks and the humidity is high, weather predictions become very unreliable and bad weather seems to follow the Hawken classic. Shortly after the fifth shooter, and before the Rendezvous Match started, the skies opened up and the shooting line turned into a lake. Shooting was impossible.

20230826_110051.jpg

What didn't flood the shooting range ran over into the Archery course and flooded that out too.

The Hawken Rifle that was built to represent the Traditional Rifle of Missouri was presented to the State Representatives that sponsored the bill and they did brave the puddles of water to fire the Hawken Rifle built by Bob Browner and the Original Hawken Rifle.

Sunday was 70 degrees and after all tose days of high temperatures it was positively chilly.

There were great seminars on Friday Saturday and Sunday. The display of Hawken and other Missouri Rifles and other Plains rifles was spectacular.

20230825_160517.jpg

This is only six of the about 70 rifles on display.

In spite of all the adverse conditions, it was still a great event.

I’m guessing maybe parched corn isn’t all that tasty, or you’d have more corn hangin’ ? ;)

Recipe?
I may end up getting a few more ears and drying them. Parched corn is easy to make. After the kernels are completely dry. throw the kernels in a hot cast iron skillet, no oil or grease. Parch it dry. You'll see the kernels puff up and change to a cooked color as you stir it around in the skillet.. You know it is done and excellent eating. It will easily last a year without going stale.

Attachments

• parched.JPG
    parched.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
For those of the sharp eyed observers of the rifle display from above,

View attachment 248604

the second rifle on the display is a modern made rifle in the style of a J&S Hawken full stock rifle with a flint lock by Keith Neubauer. So don't get your hopes up that there is proof of a Hawken Rifle with a flint lock in existence. All of the exhibitors at the Sappington House are convinced that there are no J&S Hawken Plains Rifles that were made with a flint lock ignition system. There are rifles with converted flint locks, but the conversion was done before the rifles were built as percussion ignition systems.
20230825_160528.jpg

What muzzleloading thing have I done today?

Lets start by logging in and poking around the different sections for the first time in forever!!! Havent shot a muzzleloader since january. Getting that itch!!!

Have a couple maxwell arms .45 barrels and cva .45 mountain rifle parts to sell real soon. Probably my Tennessee stock project and .32 Dixie works barrel as well. They need to be built and finishe dand shot and its just way above my skill level. Anyone in Louisiana interested? Lol

Anyways I miss being here. Hunting season around the corner and I need to.get to shootin! Hoping to come around more often.

Back