• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made another mould or mold your side for my 10.4 (.432”). Feldtutzer Swiss turned out a bit undersize at .420 but paper patching made it perfect when sized , bottom flange was perfect at .438 before sizing but that was turned in mould as a guide. I could not get the multi grove tool to go deeper , only 4 hours work so I’ll do another with a slightly larger core

I was invited to a dove shoot on Friday, so I thought I'd pattern my SxS 12 Ga Pedersoli yesterday evening and see if it liked 6 or 7.5 shot better... It's been a really long time since I shot it. I probably won't shoot just the Pedersoli, but it should be fun for a little while.

Took two shots with #6 shot on two different pieces of cardboard at 30 yards and didn't really like the pattern.. Too many open spaces.

Swapped out the 6 for 7.5 in the shot pouch and changed targets again. Third shot really thumped me good and I thought maybe I hadn't been holding the gun tight enough. While I was changing cardboard again I was thinking, "I won't notice the kick as much when shooting at a dove." So, shot the second time at a fresh target with the 7.5 shot size with a tighter grip into my shoulder. The pattern looked awesome on that shot and it didn't thump me near as bad with a tighter grip... .

At that point I thought I'd call it good and get things cleaned up. Started gathering up everything, but couldn't find the ramrod. Hmmm.... looked everywhere! Couldn't find it.

Hmmm... Ah..... THAT's why that third shot thumped me so hard! First time for everything, and that was the first time I've ever shot my ramrod.

I looked high and low, but it's likely buried in the grass of the field somewhere. Couldn't find any pieces at all.

Pedersoli 12ga pattern 7.5.jpg

But a nice pattern anyway.
The 7.5 worked pretty well. The photo is the 4th shot that was sans ramrod. The third shot looked about the same as the first 2 with #6 with a few bird-sized blanks in the pattern, but that’s likely from the ramrod jackin’ with the pattern. Gonna try some more today to make sure the 54 cal cleaning jag rod will work okay with the power and shot cards.

Shot my Pietta 1851 .36 built in 2022 today for the first time. Arbor fit correct, cylinder gap .003. Load was 20 grains FFFG, no wad or filler, crisco over the bullets. Pretty happy with the 5 shot target at 15 yards, two hand hold. Digging through some older stuff found 2 unopened tins of Navy Arms percussion caps. Hope they still work. Need the replace those nipples though. What’s best? Slickshot or Track O’ da Woof’s own brand?
After two cylinders the pistol would occasionally fail to cock. Expecting a can fragment, went home and took it apart and cleaned it up. Problem still there! Nothing found, no cap fragments.
Had to ease one of the concave areas on the bolt nearest to the hammer cam to allow the bolt to ‘re-set’ a bit sooner. Problem solved! Happy to have that done. Action on this one is very smooth.
Liking this one quiet a bit. Might have to de-farb the offending stuff on the barrel, maybe not.

Attachments

• IMG_3339.jpeg
    IMG_3339.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3340.jpeg
    IMG_3340.jpeg
    7.6 MB · Views: 0
Shot my Pietta 1851 .36 built in 2022 today for the first time. Arbor fit correct, cylinder gap .003. Load was 20 grains FFFG, no wad or filler, crisco over the bullets. Pretty happy with the 5 shot target at 15 yards, two hand hold. Digging through some older stuff found 2 unopened tins of Navy Arms percussion caps. Hope they still work. Need the replace those nipples though. What’s best? Slickshot or Track O’ da Woof’s own brand?
After two cylinders the pistol would occasionally fail to cock. Expecting a can fragment, went home and took it apart and cleaned it up. Problem still there! Nothing found, no cap fragments.
Had to ease one of the concave areas on the bolt nearest to the hammer cam to allow the bolt to ‘re-set’ a bit sooner. Problem solved! Happy to have that done. Action on this one is very smooth.
Liking this one quiet a bit. Might have to de-farb the offending stuff on the barrel, maybe not.
Yep. I am super hooked. I got a couple deals here lately that I could NT resist and now I have 4 colts, a remington and an ROA. After shootin em all (but one round) I could film myself as Jose Wales!!

Yers looks like its a grat shooter like mine. I have not shot the last one, a 5 shot Uberti. My .36 colt sheriff is a shooter and should be even better fully Goonerized and the new pietta shoots like yours! Even my non shooting daughter got a 2" group with it at 15 yds!

Seems like yer on trac with that group first time out!! Mine likes 18 Gr best. 27 grains group opened up to like 5"

I looked high and low, but it's likely buried in the grass of the field somewhere. Couldn't find any pieces at all.

I would have thought it would have hit the target.
Maybe if you pull a rake through the grass perpendicular to the line of flight you can snag it.

I would have thought it would have hit the target.
Maybe if you pull a rake through the grass perpendicular to the line of flight you can snag it.

I looked at the target with that in mind, but no signs of it there.

I was wondering how far it might have conceivably traveled, and how straight they tend to fly. Not much experience with this sort of thing!

Shot some more last evening and still have the ramrod I was using 😬

I compared the pattern with an unmentionable 20ga pattern and I like the Pedersoli’s better! It shoots a little to the left, so I’ll have to keep that in mind Friday.

Last edited:
Feldtutzer 10.4. Mm Home made dues donen

Attachments

• 9662227D-31B6-43CA-9B25-BA2D48243285.jpeg
    9662227D-31B6-43CA-9B25-BA2D48243285.jpeg
    902.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ACF7FDD7-CA70-4DA3-B70E-47ADAF066E69.jpeg
    ACF7FDD7-CA70-4DA3-B70E-47ADAF066E69.jpeg
    852.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2A62D129-6134-4BE3-BC50-D42CEA3A9D7E.jpeg
    2A62D129-6134-4BE3-BC50-D42CEA3A9D7E.jpeg
  • 5186B123-DA92-4EEF-B26D-3F7FDD10D041.jpeg
    5186B123-DA92-4EEF-B26D-3F7FDD10D041.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 676B3D91-EDF9-415C-A4EC-D61DFBD1E329.jpeg
    676B3D91-EDF9-415C-A4EC-D61DFBD1E329.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 9E326506-ADD0-47E7-9DF6-DA01B727AFA7.jpeg
    9E326506-ADD0-47E7-9DF6-DA01B727AFA7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 436C118A-8D4A-43EC-903A-3B4B4FD977A7.jpeg
    436C118A-8D4A-43EC-903A-3B4B4FD977A7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 598AF103-7979-4614-A1F1-869D328ECD99.jpeg
    598AF103-7979-4614-A1F1-869D328ECD99.jpeg
  • 4DA05A7F-D8E2-4045-9741-1378CC2F852B.jpeg
    4DA05A7F-D8E2-4045-9741-1378CC2F852B.jpeg
    973.3 KB · Views: 0
I looked at the target with that in mind, but no signs of it there.

I was wondering how far it might have conceivably traveled, and how straight they tend to fly. Not much experience with this sort of thing!

Shot some more last evening and still have the ramrod I was using 😬

I compared the pattern with an unmentionable 20ga pattern and I like the Pedersoli’s better! It shoots a little to the left, so I’ll have to keep that in mind Friday.

I've been patterning some black powder loads, too.
But that's all I can say about that ;)

I was invited to a dove shoot on Friday, so I thought I'd pattern my SxS 12 Ga Pedersoli yesterday evening and see if it liked 6 or 7.5 shot better... It's been a really long time since I shot it. I probably won't shoot just the Pedersoli, but it should be fun for a little while.

Took two shots with #6 shot on two different pieces of cardboard at 30 yards and didn't really like the pattern.. Too many open spaces.

Swapped out the 6 for 7.5 in the shot pouch and changed targets again. Third shot really thumped me good and I thought maybe I hadn't been holding the gun tight enough. While I was changing cardboard again I was thinking, "I won't notice the kick as much when shooting at a dove." So, shot the second time at a fresh target with the 7.5 shot size with a tighter grip into my shoulder. The pattern looked awesome on that shot and it didn't thump me near as bad with a tighter grip... .

At that point I thought I'd call it good and get things cleaned up. Started gathering up everything, but couldn't find the ramrod. Hmmm.... looked everywhere! Couldn't find it.

Hmmm... Ah..... THAT's why that third shot thumped me so hard! First time for everything, and that was the first time I've ever shot my ramrod.

View attachment 249143

Ha ha what can I say. It must be a strong barrel , how did you load the shots after, , ramrod must be around somewhere , I guess it would fly in a straight line , interesting how accurate would a flying ramrod be , can you add an arrow head if hunting bear Of course I am only making fun, but flying ramrods could be an interesting subject i mean it could be half a mile away, My compound bow will just make 300 yards , hope there’s more to you story. I can only wish you well , nice story , love from a wet day near London .

25B8FDA6-CB60-47F7-B07A-0F8BBAA01391.jpeg
Just messing around the barn this evening and knocked out a few flints. They ain’t purty, but they make sparks. Only took about 10 minutes, so if I only get a few shots out of each one it was worth it. Fun too.

Need the replace those nipples though. What’s best? Slickshot or Track O’ da Woof’s own brand?
I've used both in the past. But have gone with SlixShot for my competition pistols tho'! Rem #10s, CCI #11s & RWS 1075 all need a little extra push to fully seat, (I either used the back side of the capper, or a piece of antler as a pusher). Haven't had a cap come off in ages.

Back