• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm starting a new build. It's going to be a Paddle Butt Carbine musket. The stock is Black Walnut. The Barrel is 30" long. 75 cal. seamless 75000 psi DOM steel. As you can see, I've installed the breach plug. Now I need to file taper the barrel to dimensions. The lock is an Old English Lock casting set from 'The Rifle Shop'. The rest of the furniture I will hand forge as I get to that part of the build. I'm working on a few other guns for customers which take precedence, so I'll post pic's when I can as I go along. Semper Fi.

DSCN1184.JPG

I'm starting a new build. It's going to be a Paddle Butt Carbine musket. The stock is Black Walnut. The Barrel is 30" long. 75 cal. seamless 75000 psi DOM steel. As you can see, I've installed the breach plug. Now I need to file taper the barrel to dimensions. The lock is an Old English Lock casting set from 'The Rifle Shop'. The rest of the furniture I will hand forge as I get to that part of the build. I'm working on a few other guns for customers which take precedence, so I'll post pic's when I can as I go along. Semper Fi.

View attachment 249694
Nice project! I’m looking forward to watching this one progress.

I was invited to a dove shoot on Friday, so I thought I'd pattern my SxS 12 Ga Pedersoli yesterday evening and see if it liked 6 or 7.5 shot better... It's been a really long time since I shot it. I probably won't shoot just the Pedersoli, but it should be fun for a little while.

Took two shots with #6 shot on two different pieces of cardboard at 30 yards and didn't really like the pattern.. Too many open spaces.

Swapped out the 6 for 7.5 in the shot pouch and changed targets again. Third shot really thumped me good and I thought maybe I hadn't been holding the gun tight enough. While I was changing cardboard again I was thinking, "I won't notice the kick as much when shooting at a dove." So, shot the second time at a fresh target with the 7.5 shot size with a tighter grip into my shoulder. The pattern looked awesome on that shot and it didn't thump me near as bad with a tighter grip... .

At that point I thought I'd call it good and get things cleaned up. Started gathering up everything, but couldn't find the ramrod. Hmmm.... looked everywhere! Couldn't find it.

Hmmm... Ah..... THAT's why that third shot thumped me so hard! First time for everything, and that was the first time I've ever shot my ramrod.

I looked high and low, but it's likely buried in the grass of the field somewhere. Couldn't find any pieces at all.

View attachment 249143
GOOD LUCK

71529801164__8FA72C47-1608-4B43-BF4B-EAC98AF458BC.jpeg

Went out and burned some 3F Swiss in the TC Hawken 45 Flinter. Good times. It’s so dry here lately I could only get two shots off before I had to swab. 3rd one was pretty hard to get down. Should’ve moistened up my lube a little I guess. Normally I can shoot probably 10-15 times before I have to swab.

Last edited:
Got my range box read to take Autumn, my T/C Hawken with the factory laminated stock, to the range.
Our October beer season will be here soon. Bear and ( antlerless) deer. You know... beer!
Hope she doesn't chastise me for not taking her for a walk these past 3 years...

Ha ha what can I say. It must be a strong barrel , how did you load the shots after, , ramrod must be around somewhere , I guess it would fly in a straight line , interesting how accurate would a flying ramrod be , can you add an arrow head if hunting bear Of course I am only making fun, but flying ramrods could be an interesting subject i mean it could be half a mile away, My compound bow will just make 300 yards , hope there’s more to you story. I can only wish you well , nice story , love from a wet day near London .
I was shooting at home on my front yard 200 yard range, so I was able to round up another ramrod to use for subsequent shooting. I live out in the boonies.

Using a rake to try and snag it might work IF it flew in a relatively straight line, The grass on either side of the cut path is about a foot tall right now, and it’s been a week since the path was last cut.

IMG_4351.jpeg

I ended the dove hunt yesterday with five birds. It was a bit slow, and my spot wasn’t in a prime location. I was happy with the outcome nonetheless! It was a fun day.

I was shooting at home on my front yard 200 yard range, so I was able to round up another ramrod to use for subsequent shooting. I live out in the boonies.

Using a rake to try and snag it might work IF it flew in a relatively straight line, The grass on either side of the cut path is about a foot tall right now, and it’s been a week since the path was last cut.

View attachment 249923

I ended the dove hunt yesterday with five birds. It was a bit slow, and my spot wasn’t in a prime location. I was happy with the outcome nonetheless! It was a fun day.

200 yards front yard range!

No, I am not jealous at all ;-)

Ok, please don’t give me grief about spending money I don’t have or being a glutton, though I’m guilty of those things in other situations. While Kibler was running their 10% off sale one of my sweet, generous daughters in law (with deep pockets) ordered 2 more SMR kits for me. A .45 in Cherry that I started work on today, and a .36 in Walnut that is supposed to arrive back home tomorrow. Both will be built for her husband and my other grandson. I won’t be rushing to finish these, but after the Woodsrunners I’d forgotten that you almost feel like your building a rifle with the SMRs!
I am in love with your daughter in law and i don't even know her name!!!:D:D:D

I decided to refinish the barrel, screws, ramrod holders (the nomenclature escapes me at the moment) and butt plate of my Kibler SMR. So far, I am 3/5ths done with the barrel, the final piece, but taking a break right now. The buttplate I got to refinish thanks to managing to scrape it on the concrete floor of the club outdoor range while wiping the barrel. (I also dinged my car with only 4,200 miles on it on a semi-tire rim we use as a burn barrel by turning into it. I was not having a great week)

Earlier in the day I cleaned the SMR since I had several days of shooting it. I hear that one word, every now and then, "Practice". I'm trying to get the hang of that. I think I am confident now to try to take deer shots up to 100 yards. However, 50-75 yards for now, will be about as far as I will go for the moment. I obtained one of those NMLRA note books for four of my BP rifles and I have been making notes on the loads and where they are hitting. However, that magic word is what I still need to do, practice.

I was also experimenting with loads for the SMR at ranges of 25, 50 and 100 yards. I found that 25 to 30 grains 3F and a .015 lubed patch with some cornmeal top the powder and under a .440 Hornady ball is giving me accuracy as good as I can get for the 25 to 50 yard targets. I had to up that to 40 grains of 3F (Swiss) for the 100 yard shots and was grouping at about 6 inches. (Did somebody say "practice" might help?)

Also earlier in the week, I was shooting my Pietta Spiller and Burr on which I replaced the front sight with a higher post. Now it does not shoot balls into space, but is hitting pretty well to right on at 25 yards to 50 yards with 15 grains of 3F and a round ball. That, I was happy with.

Have a happy Labor Day weekend everybody.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Back