• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 249880
Went out and burned some 3F Swiss in the TC Hawken 45 Flinter. Good times. It’s so dry here lately I could only get two shots off before I had to swab. 3rd one was pretty hard to get down. Should’ve moistened up my lube a little I guess. Normally I can shoot probably 10-15 times before I have to swab.
While shooting, how do you swab your bore? What liquid do you use? How moist/wet is the cotton(?) you swab with? After swabbing, do you use dry cotton to absorb the moisture left from swabbing? Just starting to shoot my new 54 cal Colonial piece I assembled from a "kit" from Mr. Kibler. L O V E the flintlock! Just got my 30 year old 45 cal working. The "frizzen" is scored and eats up the flints.

I was shooting at home on my front yard 200 yard range, so I was able to round up another ramrod to use for subsequent shooting. I live out in the boonies.

Using a rake to try and snag it might work IF it flew in a relatively straight line, The grass on either side of the cut path is about a foot tall right now, and it’s been a week since the path was last cut.

View attachment 249923

I ended the dove hunt yesterday with five birds. It was a bit slow, and my spot wasn’t in a prime location. I was happy with the outcome nonetheless! It was a fun day.
That is one awesome rifle range you have there. Semper Fi.

I looked at the target with that in mind, but no signs of it there.

I was wondering how far it might have conceivably traveled, and how straight they tend to fly. Not much experience with this sort of thing!

Shot some more last evening and still have the ramrod I was using 😬

I compared the pattern with an unmentionable 20ga pattern and I like the Pedersoli’s better! It shoots a little to the left, so I’ll have to keep that in mind Friday.
I’m new to ML and recently shot my ramrod, it hit the target dead center at 25 yards and I found half of it at 75 yards and about 25 yards to the right.

I cleaned out my lawnmowers carburetor so I could start the dadburn thing and then mowed the lawn. I am as dumb as a sack of rocks and to stupid to hire someone to take care of my lawn? My neighbor came over and gave my wife and I a bag of fruit and vegetables. She must have thought we were destitute and malnourished by seeing me in the hot sun tearing a lawn mower apart? Our few neighbors are fantastic! people and I feel sorry for them to have to live close to me. I messed the whole neighborhood up! LOL! Like a friend of mine said, ""You could mess up a two car funeral"""! To make a long story longer I must add I was planing on going to the range and shooting my B.P.rifle? I guess it is just part of a normal day where your plans don't matter and the wife cancels them?

I played around with some not-historically-correct cartridges.

These are test loads for a TC Hawken .50cal percussion:

Paper Cartridges.jpg

I got a bunch of ~.50" paper tubes along with a purchase some time ago. They will be a tad tight to start, as they are close to bore diameter & the folded ends tended to bunch up when I test-fitted a few to the muzzle, but I don't think hope it won't be something elbow grease can't overcome!

The loads are .490 balls with 50g and 60g Old Eynesford FF and 385 Hornady Great Plains hollow point conicals over the same. To help overcome the loading friction at the muzzle, I dipped the bullet end in some Windini Lube & smeared it smooth with a finger.

Loading procedure will be tear off paper tail, pour powder, invert cartridge & (try to ) start paper-wrapped projectile, tear off remaining paper, ram home, cap and fire. We'll see how it goes!

Squared up the wood under a Traditions Kentuckyish butt plate comb and glued in a chunk of squared up cherry.

Same thing done to the toe plate area.

No more shoulder spikes here I come.

Instead of a 4 inch long butt it'll be a 4.5 inch long butt. With a 13.5 LOP. Instead of a 12.75 LOP. Negative 6 degree rake off the comb. Flat steel butt plate.

Gonna be much mo comfy.

PS: Borrowing from Clay Smith's work, thinking about painting her a burnt orange with some form of black accents. No way I can use a stain with blocks glued in. You know what they say about sore thumbs...

Attachments

• IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3195.JPG
    IMG_3195.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3201.JPG
    IMG_3201.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3200.JPG
    IMG_3200.JPG
    760.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3202.JPG
    IMG_3202.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3204.JPG
    IMG_3204.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3205.JPG
    IMG_3205.JPG
    636.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3206.JPG
    IMG_3206.JPG
    884.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3210.JPG
    IMG_3210.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3211.JPG
    IMG_3211.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Using a rake to try and snag it might work IF it flew in a relatively straight line,

I shot a rod once in the widest open spaces and was able to watch it. If yours flew anything like mine it's in those trees! 🤣

That's a dandy front yard. 😀 If I shot in my front yard it would have me arrested.

No ml stuff. Yesterday was opening of archery deer and elk, so.........

Next weekend opening ML, so........

While shooting, how do you swab your bore? What liquid do you use? How moist/wet is the cotton(?) you swab with? After swabbing, do you use dry cotton to absorb the moisture left from swabbing?
Don’t over think it, you are just wiping the bore not doing a full cleaning, moist patch,
Up and down, load. Simple

While shooting, how do you swab your bore? What liquid do you use? How moist/wet is the cotton(?) you swab with? After swabbing, do you use dry cotton to absorb the moisture left from swabbing? Just starting to shoot my new 54 cal Colonial piece I assembled from a "kit" from Mr. Kibler. L O V E the flintlock! Just got my 30 year old 45 cal working. The "frizzen" is scored and eats up the flints.
I just range shoot these days. I swab between each PRB shot in both my .50 percussions so I get consistency shot to shot. I use a modestly wet patch of my own concoction: 6 parts 70% isopropyl alcohol, 1 part castor oil and 1 part Murphy’s Oil Soap I mix and keep in this tin. I pour it over about 15 patches in the covered tin and use for that day’s range session. I follow with a dry patch swab, load and go. Makes my target shooting extremely consistent.

Attachments

• IMG_2164.jpeg
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Spent part of this afternoon with Mark Hubbs.
Well, his Eras Gone bullet molds, anyways.
I molded some .44 Johnston & Dow, .36 Colt Cartridge Works, .31 Colt Baby Dragoon, and then some .380 round ball from a Track of the Wolf/Lee 6-ball mold. Except for the .31's, I was out of all of them. Might labor on more, tomorrow.

The Doc is out now and have a Happy Labor Day, everybody. :cool:

I finally got started on wife's rifle,I got her for our 1st wedding anniversary,I bought it in May figured I'd have it going by mid July for anniversary present,that didn't happen lol,but muzzle loader deer season starts 9 Sept so I gotta get busy 😳.I also didn't realize my shoulder been knackered that long,that's why I never started working on it,decided i better put on my big boy panties and get it done.
It's a Pedersoli Kentucky,I gotta say this kit is way rougher then the Pedersoli/Cub kit I put together 30+ years ago.

Attachments

• KIMG0603.JPG
    KIMG0603.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I got most of excess wood removed,tried to flatten out that Roman nose buttstock,I think it looks much better now,I can't go any farther because there's a knot in buttstock,here's a pic of buttstock beside cub that has same stock that I didn't change shape.

Attachments

• KIMG0618.JPG
    KIMG0618.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Getting for the monthly shoot on Saturday
CANNON VALLEY MUZZLE LOADERS
Monthly Shoot Next Saturday September 9th 9am
Everybody is welcome at AHLMAN'S GUNS in MORRISTOWN MN
$10 adult registration, kids under 16 are free. Lunch is included.
50 cent relays winner gets half the pot
COME OUT AND PLAY ALL ARE WELCOME WE DON'T DISCRIMANATE FLINT, PERCUSSION, INLINE IT DOESN'T MATTER
WE HAD 12 SHOOTERS LAST MONTH INCLUDING 2 UNDER 12
A REALLY GREAT TIME WAS HAD BY ALL !!!!
COME AND HAVE FUN

Back