• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you go to round off the nose of your stock, make sure you round off the nose of your stock.

And not the area that needs to be joined with epoxy. With crisp 90 degree angles. So everything remains seamless.

A royal cranial rectal insertion screw up. Glad I caught it early.

Hopefully remedied with a filler made of fine sawdust and Tite-Bond III. I'll know in 2 to 3 days. Gots to be dry dry dry.

Using an old pistol barrel as a backer. So I can sand without applying too much pressure to the joint.

At what point is this thing no longer a Traditions? Does the stink of it being born a Traditions Kentuckyish remain with it forever?

Attachments

• IMG_3319.JPG
    IMG_3319.JPG
    861.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3322.JPG
    IMG_3322.JPG
    907.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3318.JPG
    IMG_3318.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 0
When you go to round off the nose of your stock, make sure you round off the nose of your stock.

And not the area that needs to be joined with epoxy. With crisp 90 degree angles. So everything remains seamless.

A royal cranial rectal insertion screw up. Glad I caught it early.

Hopefully remedied with a filler made of fine sawdust and Tite-Bond III. I'll know in 2 to 3 days. Gots to be dry dry dry.

Using an old pistol barrel as a backer. So I can sand without applying too much pressure to the joint.

At what point is this thing no longer a Traditions? Does the stink of it being born a Traditions Kentuckyish remain with it forever?
Well to some folks it will always be a non-firing, no-deer-killing cheap Traditions. If it were me I'd call it the custom rifle I built and, as long as she shoots well would cherish it forever. Probably have it laying next to me in the old pine box one day. You're putting a bunch of custom work into it so I think you've passed the point of a factory gun. Rock on...

I bought an antique musket. The 1st thing I always do with any used ML, or any firearm for that matter, is to check to see if it's loaded. This one was. I pulled the old load out. It was loaded with shot. This load has been in there for some time. The wads were rust sealed to the bore and the powder had eaten the breech as to make the musket unsafe to fire. I de-rusted the bore and thoroughly cleaned it. I then drilled out the touch hole and plugged it. I installed a 75,000 psi. barrel liner. The liner reduced bore from .78 cal. to .69 cal. The lock is a repurposed Brown Bess Lock that functions properly, but I had to do some frizzen work. However, when it's complete. I'll have a safe working musket. Semper Fi.

View attachment 251568
Here's a follow up on my restoration project.
I finished it today. She's ready to go Here are some pic's. Semper Fi.

DSCN1212.JPG

DSCN1214.JPG

DSCN1215.JPG

DSCN1216.JPG

DSCN1217.JPG

DSCN1218.JPG

This wind won't let up! I thought I would wait until it dropped, but given that it keeps on keeping on, I gave the new home-made peep sight a testing today anyway. Off the bench, with the rifle firmly locked into a front rest, rear bag and shoulder, I sent ten shots down range at 50 metres. The target shows the effect of the wind, and some sloppy control of the sight picture, but given that, I'm a happy camper. My aim point was dead centre. I'll finesse on a windless day; I am minute of deer and pig, so I have confidence in the set-up and the load for close work. That Parker Hale rear peep with adjustable iris will be a boon for changing light conditions.

I'm going to get away for an excursion at the start of next week, so will report on happenings when I get back. Hopefully, some decent images to share too.

Cheers, Pete

Peep Test 2.jpg
Peep Test.jpg

Yesterday I met my friend at the club to get him started shooting his first ML - a .54 Lyman GPR. His first 2 shots were 1” apart in the 10 ring shooting OH at 35 yds and I think he is hooked!

I shot a couple of times with my new to me .54 half stock rifle to prepare for the Georgia state shoot in 2 weeks. Need to figure out which rifle to shoot. Shot twice at the 12” 100 yd gong and hit both times so I think this is going to work for me if I fine tune the load and figure out the holdover. Only downside is that is a cap gun and weighs 13 lbs - I think I will be tired when I finish shooting :ghostly:

Finished what was going to be a shooting bag. It is a single bag, no pockets, made from moose measuring ~7" by ~9-1/2" The strap is 3-1/4" wide by 54" long. The applique stitch beadwork is of Cree influence on red trade wool. After I figured out the hours to make this bag, at $10 per hour, it is worth more than the Woodsrunner rifle I was making it for. It may never make it out to the field. Presently it is hanging on the wall of the man cave.

Attachments

• Shooting Bag.jpg
    Shooting Bag.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 0
Back