• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting assembling the Cherry SMR, checking fit and drilling pin holes. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised with how it went together. Not that I was expecting problems, but I’ve built 2 other SMR’s and had to do at least some minor wood removal here and there. But this one went together like a Woodsrunner! The stock will require some rasping and sanding of course but overall close to turn key.

Attachments

• IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2575.jpeg
    IMG_2575.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2574.jpeg
    IMG_2574.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Time to attack that sub roll of a fore stock.

Pushed the belly back 2 inches and shaved 3/16" off the height of the ramrod channel. Ain't much but makes a huge difference. Then deepened the ramrod channel for two pipes. Still gotta inlet them and cut tenon slots in the stock.

The bottom of the belly has an 1/8" that be removed without weakening it.

Traditions and Jukars look nice and slender after they're placed on a diet.

Attachments

• IMG_3267.JPG
    IMG_3267.JPG
    757.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3270.JPG
    IMG_3270.JPG
  • IMG_3274.JPG
    IMG_3274.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3285.JPG
    IMG_3285.JPG
    838.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3284.JPG
    IMG_3284.JPG
    759 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3287.JPG
    IMG_3287.JPG
    747.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Time to attack that sub roll of a fore stock.

Pushed the belly back 2 inches and shaved 3/16" off the height of the ramrod channel. Ain't much but makes a huge difference. Then deepened the ramrod channel for two pipes. Still gotta inlet them and cut tenon slots in the stock.

The bottom of the belly has an 1/8" that be removed without weakening it.

Traditions and Jukars look nice and slender after they're placed on a diet.
I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

Got the barrel lugs drilled and slotted on the SMR. As I’ve said before, slotting tennons/lugs is my least favorite thing to do. No good reason for feeling that way, but it is what it is. However, this time I took one of my flat jewelers files and used the grinder to remove the teeth on one side and brought the thickness under 1/16”. Using water, of course, to keep it cool. This really sped the process up and was more controllable. The basic slot was cut with a jewelers saw.

Attachments

• IMG_2577.jpeg
    IMG_2577.jpeg
  • IMG_2578.jpeg
    IMG_2578.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
well today after lunch i was feeling frisky so in my best Groucho Marx voice i told the wife i was in the mood for something strange.
after withering me with that look only a wife can master, she walked over and put her arms around me as i sat in my recliner.
She then reached behind me and pulled off the shelf of my gun cabinet a box of pyrodex pellets someone had given me some years back.
"Here" says she, "this is something i have never seen you use, so here is your strange stuff!"
after blowing off the inch or so layer of dust off the box, i thought of the TC New Englander just hanging around doing nothing.
well i fired 15 shots using a two pellet charge. the box says it equals 50g BP volume per pellet . also says something about being for a inline whatever that is😂.
first shot rang the gong at 60 yards. things went sideways after that. front sight (globe) walked out of the mortice. fixed that.
next shot was 26 inches low and 14 inches left. next was perfect windage but 10 inches low dead center of the gong post.
upshot of the day using pyrodex was a 48 inch pattern of 15 shots.
cleaned the rifle and shot 5 shots using swiss fffg and had a 3inch group at 60 yards.
That pyrodex is probably 20 years old so i didn't expect much. expectations were met.
I will say this, it went boom every time. will keep it to scare things with i guess.

Bought Migratory Bird permit yesterday. Loaded up a 12 gauge percussion single barrel last night and sat on the front porch at dawn watching the dogs take dumps while I drank coffee with a shot of Irish Cream and waited for doves. There were no doves. Not in the garden. Not on the gravel road. Not flying for water. Not even on power lines. Tweety birds and two horseflies.

Leaned fowling piece against the 5th wheel camper while I started the process of getting the poop tank unclogged. Blew a 15 amp fuze, so no water for clog removal. Fixed fuze. Dumped magic chemical down the hole. Picked up fowling piece, another cup of coffee and back to the front porch.

There are no such birds as "Doves" around my place now that the season's open. Gun's beside the kitchen door, loaded, "just in case". Nice Weather.

Bought Migratory Bird permit yesterday. Loaded up a 12 gauge percussion single barrel last night and sat on the front porch at dawn watching the dogs take dumps while I drank coffee with a shot of Irish Cream and waited for doves. There were no doves. Not in the garden. Not on the gravel road. Not flying for water. Not even on power lines. Tweety birds and two horseflies.

Leaned fowling piece against the 5th wheel camper while I started the process of getting the poop tank unclogged. Blew a 15 amp fuze, so no water for clog removal. Fixed fuze. Dumped magic chemical down the hole. Picked up fowling piece, another cup of coffee and back to the front porch.

There are no such birds as "Doves" around my place now that the season's open. Gun's beside the kitchen door, loaded, "just in case". Nice Weather.
Have been in the field before sun up and was similarly skunked. But when you do get some birds........breast meats in milk and Tabasco!

I bought an antique musket. The 1st thing I always do with any used ML, or any firearm for that matter, is check to see if it's loaded. This one was. I pulled the old load out. It was loaded with shot. This load has been in there for some time. The wads were rust sealed to the bore and the powder had eaten the breech as to make the musket unsafe to fire. I de-rusted the bore and thoroughly cleaned it. I then drilled out the touch hole and plugged it. I installed a 75,000 psi. barrel liner. The liner reduced bore from .78 cal. to .69 cal. The lock is a repurposed Brown Bess Lock that functions properly, but I had to do some frizzen work. However, when it's complete. I'll have a safe working musket. Semper Fi.

DSCN1210.JPG

I've convinced a fellow gun whore to get into muzzle loading. We both work at the LGS together and the other day he said he found an awesome magazine (Muzzleloader) and is convinced because of "some crazy person at work" (me) that he needs to get a .32 cal flintlock to hunt squirrels.
I will continue to mentor this pilgrim into our beloved sport.

Starting assembling the Cherry SMR, checking fit and drilling pin holes. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised with how it went together. Not that I was expecting problems, but I’ve built 2 other SMR’s and had to do at least some minor wood removal here and there. But this one went together like a Woodsrunner! The stock will require some rasping and sanding of course but overall close to turn key.

They must really like you at Kibler’s… the grain in that cherry Butt stock looks like fancy maple.

Cry, cry, cry! The best gun range I've ever belonged to (and only 10 minutes from the house) has been shut down by local government for very shady ulterior motives or even the feds may have had a hand in this....just guessing. Anyway, I had to drive 1 1/2 hours to shoot my Hawken at a crappy crowded range and of course next to a guy shooting an unmentionable with a muzzle brake. God bless all of you that can shoot on your own property.
Thanks for the 'blessing'. I'm one of those lucky ones and I know it. 'Back the Ranger up to the shop door, load up, drive down back right up to the big shooting bench in the shade, and off I go, up to 100yds. Very lucky indeed given the constant war stories I hear anymore.

Inletted and drilled for two pipes. First time. Sweated bullets. Now I ain't askeert no mo.

A flat jewler's file works great for burning through the slot/drilled holes. Red hot/push. Red hot/push.

Can't beat a small vise for holding pipes in place while drilling for pins.

Hash marking your pipes 1, 2, 3 etc. along with a small notch to indicate direction is helpful with final assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_3314.JPG
    IMG_3314.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3307.JPG
    IMG_3307.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3298.JPG
    IMG_3298.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3304.JPG
    IMG_3304.JPG