• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Tale of Woe…
I took two friends to my range today to shoot a Kibler flint, Lyman GPR and Colt .36 Navy.
I use the magnetic flush tool from ‘The Lucky Bag’ to clean the flintlock. This thing is absolutely fantastic and works great!
One caution though:
Don’t store your range access card in your range box with this magnetic cleaning tool.
Alas, it cleaned my access card and we couldn’t get into the range. Rats!
The magnet is extremely powerful so take care to not get it near your wallet or charge cards.
The good news was no black powder guns to clean.

Attachments

• IMG_3358.jpeg
    IMG_3358.jpeg
    648.9 KB · Views: 0
Today I was finally able to determine elevation needed at 200 yards with my flint Hawken. My gun club recently created a 200 yard range with a steel plate. However the plate is heavy and soft making it hard to see a hit. It doesn't ring and it doesn't swing and with all the smoke I could not see where the balls were landing.

So today I sent up a video camera on a tripod and had to move it several feet away and up wind in order to avoid the smoke cloud.

This is a .54 RB over 120 grains Swiss FF. On the first shot I held up the full height of the front blade and took a 6:00 hold on the plate. The video showed this hit about 6" under the plate. On the next shot I held up so that the sight base was resting on top of the rear sight.

You can see the impact at 9:00, center plate.

Really not much today, couldn’t get motivated to work on the SMR, too hot for outside work. So I found some suitable pieces of cedar and pine and made a turn screw stand for the work bench, should help to de-clutter things a bit, maybe.

Attachments

• IMG_2568.jpeg
    IMG_2568.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2569.jpeg
    IMG_2569.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Really not much today, couldn’t get motivated to work on the SMR, too hot for outside work. So I found some suitable pieces of cedar and pine and made a turn screw stand for the work bench, should help to de-clutter things a bit, maybe.
I had to search the interwebs for what a “turn screw stand” was…. Nice!

Love the reference…

Weather in TN is cooling off. Cold front came thru and knocked down all the humidity. I looked up from typing and saw this out the window…

IMG_6653.jpeg

Hope it makes a difference down your way soon…

Billboards removed and entire barrel hit with 150 grit.

Stock nose and tenon drilled. Three pins made from .140 drill bits.

Laying out placement for pipes. Too far back? Hmmm.

Butt area brought to final shape. No metal plate. Just a healthy radius on the edges. Need to drill the grease hole on the right side.

Attachments

• IMG_3259.JPG
    IMG_3259.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3260.JPG
    IMG_3260.JPG
    946.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3264.JPG
    IMG_3264.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3266.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ran a couple of tubs full of .610s though my Larry Zorn 62 this afternoon, with my newly tuned lock from Brad Emig over at Cabin Creek Muzzleloading. Wow what a difference. I have always liked her, but with the tuned lock, I think this is my deer rifle this year. That 37" octagon to round barrel make it light and handy in the brush and those .610 work on big pigs like the hammer of Thor. Besides, I'm getting too old to be dragging deer out of the prickly pear and brush. Much better to drop um where they stand. Saved two balls for emergency's on they way back to the house. Looks like I'm back to casting again. Man this thing does eat a lot of lead and powder. Oh, well. Good times.

Attachments

• IMG_3647[1].JPG
    IMG_3647[1].JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3645[1].JPG
    IMG_3645[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
poured nosecap #5 on my whatzit .30. this pour filled out close to what i wanted so i will just work with it.
New Neighbor that bought my best friends place from his widow came by with a box of blackpowder stuff my friends wife just left at the place.
new neighbor heard me shooting and figured i could use it.
10 tins of #11 CCI caps, 10 tins of winchester magnum #11 caps.
box of speer swaged .535 balls.
5 bottles of triple 7 ffg.
made me cry. miss my friend.

I started a sheath for a knife a grandson gave me last Christmas. This is the third one I've started. The other two were abandoned. Just didn't care for them once they were started. I want to carry it in the upcoming season so this one is going to be "ok" regardless. 🤣

20230907_194732_copy_600x955.jpg

And organized my bag and horn. Need only throw over the shoulder and pick up the rifle and go.

20230907_194751_copy_600x1347.jpg

Billboards removed and entire barrel hit with 150 grit.

Stock nose and tenon drilled. Three pins made from .140 drill bits.

Laying out placement for pipes. Too far back? Hmmm.

Butt area brought to final shape. No metal plate. Just a healthy radius on the edges. Need to drill the grease hole on the right side.
Looking pretty cool.

I started a sheath for a knife a grandson gave me last Christmas. This is the third one I've started. The other two were abandoned. Just didn't care for them once they were started. I want to carry it in the upcoming season so this one is going to be "ok" regardless. 🤣

View attachment 251348

And organized my bag and horn. Need only throw over the shoulder and pick up the rifle and go.

View attachment 251356
That is a neat little knife.

I took wife out behind the house with her new Pedersoli Kentucky to shoot and get familiar loading,shooting, and how and when to wipe the bore. I showed her 1 time how to load after 3 shots, I showed her how to run a wet patch then a couple dry patches to get most of the crud out so ball loads easily, That was all it took she shot for couple hours with no more help from me.She loved it she was so excited and she said sights was dead on, we was just plinking shooting air holes in a new burn barrel and ringing some steel,hopefully we can get serious next trip out and find a good deer load,then fine tune sights.
I still need to do final finish on rifle but thats just going to have to wait until Muzzle loader season is over in couple weeks.

I took wife out behind the house with her new Pedersoli Kentucky to shoot and get familiar loading,shooting, and how and when to wipe the bore. I showed her 1 time how to load after 3 shots, I showed her how to run a wet patch then a couple dry patches to get most of the crud out so ball loads easily, That was all it took she shot for couple hours with no more help from me.She loved it she was so excited and she said sights was dead on, we was just plinking shooting air holes in a new burn barrel and ringing some steel,hopefully we can get serious next trip out and find a good deer load,then fine tune sights.
I still need to do final finish on rifle but thats just going to have to wait until Muzzle loader season is over in couple weeks.
I love the intro ! Thought maybe you were going to shoot her with the new pedersoli😀😁😃😃😄😅😆😉😉😉😉

you sir are a blessed man!

Back