• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Experimental buckshot and experimental buckshot horn.
391E5B98-2EC5-4836-9224-325509A87F09.jpeg

View attachment 258927

Finally got gun rack done and up. Kinda wanted to re-finish walls and paint first but wife wanted them off the floor and outta the corners. Hunting season now so won't get to walls till February but she's happy.
Danger Will Robinson! wives are sometimes able to count! should have made twice that many rests!:D

Went to the first cub shoot of our year this morning.. We shooting in winter here in Yuma. Shot a .45 cal Seneca 8 times and it did well, shot a flintlock 62-20 smoothbore with sights and prb's and it too did well. Surgically altered back said it had had enough so I came home. Now to clean guns.

Enjoying our first cool, breezy day! Put extra deer feed out first this morning, then headed to my shooting range. First shots with the .54 Woodsrunner with the taller rear sight installed. Started at 14 yards, then 25, and 50. Besides a couple of minor windage adjustments, I didn’t have to do any filing on the rear sight. But it’s shooting a little high at 50 so I’ll probably file the rear sight deeper. All shots were with 60 grs Swiss 3F, .530 cast rb, .020 patch with mink oil lube, and Goex 4F prime. I believe I made 36 shots all told with zero issues. Lock preformed beautifully. Only thing that surprised me is that after 15 shots I started to get flyers to the left, happened twice both at 25 & 50 yards. I cleaned the bore even though I wasn’t having any problems loading and found a slight crud ring had formed both times. After cleaning the flyers went away. Definitely have to experiment with some different loads at 50 yrds before I try further, if my eyes will let me. But I really like the taller rear sight. I have some of @deerstalkert ‘s Super Secret Bear Fat lube to try next time.

Attachments

• IMG_2737.jpeg
    IMG_2737.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2740.jpeg
    IMG_2740.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2741.jpeg
    IMG_2741.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2739.jpeg
    IMG_2739.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2747.jpeg
    IMG_2747.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2745.jpeg
    IMG_2745.jpeg
    906.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    951.8 KB · Views: 0
Enjoying our first cool, breezy day! Put extra deer feed out first this morning, then headed to my shooting range. First shots with the .54 Woodsrunner with the taller rear sight installed. Started at 14 yards, then 25, and 50. Besides a couple of minor windage adjustments, I didn’t have to do any filing on the rear sight. But it’s shooting a little high at 50 so I’ll probably file the rear sight deeper. All shots were with 60 grs Swiss 3F, .530 cast rb, .020 patch with mink oil lube, and Goex 4F prime. I believe I made 36 shots all told with zero issues. Lock preformed beautifully. Only thing that surprised me is that after 15 shots I started to get flyers to the left, happened twice both at 25 & 50 yards. I cleaned the bore even though I wasn’t having any problems loading and found a slight crud ring had formed both times. After cleaning the flyers went away. Definitely have to experiment with some different loads at 50 yrds before I try further, if my eyes will let me. But I really like the taller rear sight. I have some of @deerstalkert ‘s Super Secret Bear Fat lube to try next time.
Some nice targets there @TDM

That's a wonderful looking range, TDM! Good results too. Nice shooting. That's some high-end products you are using there - congrats. 👍

Pete

Picked up 10 yards of Joann's "famous" Cotton Drill. Cut up a dozen strips and a few hundred precuts. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow, tighter weave than anything I've tried and basically no fraying

Attachments

• PXL_20231007_203650209.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231007_203650209.MP.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
That's a wonderful looking range, TDM! Good results too. Nice shooting. That's some high-end products you are using there - congrats. 👍

Pete
Thanks Pete, I do enjoy the range and try not to take it for granted, but I still don’t shoot as much as I should. Going to try and change that.

Took my son to Scout Camporee at Friendship. He stuck the hawk 6 out of 8 times. He shot muzzleloader, trap and more, not his first rodeo. I think I recruited one young man in our troop to come back to shoot Muzzleloaders at nationals. I'm trying to do my part to get some of our scouts out there more often.
PXL_20231007_151936618.jpg

PXL_20231007_134255836.jpg

My boy is the one whittling while waiting his turn.
PXL_20231007_183503727.jpg

Went to the club with my 17 year old son this evening to practice for a match tomorrow. It'll be his first time shooting in one. I was mostly helping him but I took a few shots, some on steel and 4 on paper offhand at 35 yards. I flinched on the first shot but the next 3 were in a nice little group.

Attachments

• IMG_20231007_181712.jpg
    IMG_20231007_181712.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231007_183606.jpg
    IMG_20231007_183606.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 0
Back