• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot the Colt Special M1861 at 50 yds w/ "military" load of 60 grains and lubed Minie ball in home-rolled paper cartridges. Prints nine inches high and two inches left. Have to think about whether or not to just leave it be for now. Based on the way the rifle sounds and feels when shot, my guess is it would be happier with a heavier load. Will have to make up some new cartridges with 65 grains I suppose. Though I'd rather just pour and ram than fool with first making those cartridges. I can see it for military battle use, but no great advantage for a range toy. The only sticky part is lubing those Minie ball grease grooves in the field. I'm thinking I could do that much at least at home, and roll them up lined up nose to tail in a tube of wax paper for transport to range.
Hey wiscoaster. I've been down the same road as you with my Parker Hale Enfield's 53 and 58. I only shoot my rifled muskets at the range, though may hunt with them one day. My rifles shoot high at the lowest setting too; I have got around that by using a 'fine sight' rather than the usual military one. I let the shot go at point of aim with only the slightest amount of front sight visible in the rear notch - a bit like a shotgun bead, if that makes sense. I lube my minies with 80/20 beeswax and lard, dipping them into the liquid with needle nose pliers when melted over a double boiler. I remove excess lube by using a funnel cut down to .577. Initially, I did let the muzzle remove the lube when loading, but this wasn't conducive to accuracy - I found too much lube opened groups considerably.

Another thing, and I have to say I have no scientific reason, but I now use an over powder layer of semolina before seating the minie; the same volume as the powder charge. This has worked well for me in both rifled muskets. I was watching a Hungarian International Competition on YouTube a few years back and noticed that most military shooters on the line were using filler. 🤷‍♂️

None of my practices are aligned to the way these muskets should be loaded in the pure military manner, but I sure am pleased with the groups and accuracy that ensues.

Cheers, Pete

Today my son and I attended the offhand meat match at my club that we practiced for yesterday (his first shooting match). We had a great time and he did pretty well! I won 2 of the 12 rounds and got 10 packs of good meat out of it. It was especially satisfying that we were shooting the .490 and .530 balls we made together a couple weeks ago! It was a good day.

Attachments

• IMG_20231008_124139.jpg
    IMG_20231008_124139.jpg
    871.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231008_134613.jpg
    IMG_20231008_134613.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231008_155153.jpg
    IMG_20231008_155153.jpg
    872.6 KB · Views: 0
Swabbed barrel,filled my horn ,made sandwiches and loaded everything in my truck for first day with my draw in tags on a federal refuge ,2 does or 1 buck and 1 doe and have 7 days

Camped the last two nights at our club in Northern Mississippi.
It was our scheduled clean up weekend prior too of Fall rendezvous..

Lots of weed eating , removing down trees on the woods walk.

Hauled & stacked fire wood in preparation of the cold Northern Mississippi winter…

7CD69F42-AF17-4F89-A504-46AEDD78B04C.png

39 f this morning as we broke camp, one of the first cool snaps of the season..

I noticed what appeared to be two foot drifts in several fields as I drove North on my way home today…

DF498998-2EE1-4395-A937-D8C5327C9307.png

Mississippi snow cover..😎

Thats a nice bunch you have hangin up there
Thanks! The results of literally throwing myself down the rabbit hole. A kashtuk .62 fowler, a Jim Chamberlain .58 lehigh, a Jackie Brown .54 virginia and a .50 Kibler woodsrunner. The .54 lyman GPR will probably be looking for a new home to help pay for the others and to thin the herd, LOL.

Another thing, and I have to say I have no scientific reason, but I now use an over powder layer of semolina before seating the minie; ...
I use corn meal in my cap 'n ball cartridges, and was trying to come up with some way of using that with the Minie balls. I made a couple cartridges with the recessed bases filled, but it's probably not enough meal, and also kind of iffy whether it actually ends up sitting on top of the powder under the ball.

I wonder if it's feasible to make a paper cartridge with three envelopes (one containing the meal)?

Last edited:
I finished up two knife sheaths this weekend.
The Sheath #10 photo is a Crow inspired pattern beaded on red trade wool and saddle stitched with a poly thread that was recommended by Tandy Leather. I did not use a welt in the area under the tacks but glued that section so the blade shouldn't come in contact with the tacks. I annealed the tacks, so they were easier to clench on the backside. The length of the case is 12 inches.

Sheath #11 is inspired by a Cree Knife case. it is 11" in length and beaded on deer which is covering a rawhide case.

Attachments

• Sheath #10.jpg
    Sheath #10.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Sheath #11.jpg
    Sheath #11.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 0
I finished up two knife sheaths this weekend.
The Sheath #10 photo is a Crow inspired pattern beaded on red trade wool and saddle stitched with a poly thread that was recommended by Tandy Leather. I did not use a welt in the area under the tacks but glued that section so the blade shouldn't come in contact with the tacks. I annealed the tacks, so they were easier to clench on the backside. The length of the case is 12 inches.

Sheath #11 is inspired by a Cree Knife case. it is 11" in length and beaded on deer which is covering a rawhide case.
Your work is great. I'm inspired to give beadwork a try when that old winter gloom sets in.

Back