• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enjoying our first cool, breezy day! Put extra deer feed out first this morning, then headed to my shooting range. First shots with the .54 Woodsrunner with the taller rear sight installed. Started at 14 yards, then 25, and 50. Besides a couple of minor windage adjustments, I didn’t have to do any filing on the rear sight. But it’s shooting a little high at 50 so I’ll probably file the rear sight deeper. All shots were with 60 grs Swiss 3F, .530 cast rb, .020 patch with mink oil lube, and Goex 4F prime. I believe I made 36 shots all told with zero issues. Lock preformed beautifully. Only thing that surprised me is that after 15 shots I started to get flyers to the left, happened twice both at 25 & 50 yards. I cleaned the bore even though I wasn’t having any problems loading and found a slight crud ring had formed both times. After cleaning the flyers went away. Definitely have to experiment with some different loads at 50 yrds before I try further, if my eyes will let me. But I really like the taller rear sight. I have some of @deerstalkert ‘s Super Secret Bear Fat lube to try next time.
good shooting

Building up a wheellock. Arbor & wheel trued to a center.
20231007_155640.jpg

Plate with arbor in.
20231007_183157.jpg

Wheel fit. Pan is going to get some fill metal
20231007_183313.jpg

Ready to fit bridle

20231007_183653.jpg

Hopefully sparky sparky soon!
William

Danger Will Robinson! wives are sometimes able to count! should have made twice that many rests!:D
Many wives are able to count the empty spaces. When they fill up they know things have changed. You need a gun safe with a solid door and empty spaces so the empty spaces can't be counted. Or you have a rack with a few empty spaces and rotate guns from the cabinet so the guns in the rack change as you fill the gun safe.

Time to make a topcoat run.

Satin tung oil maybe.

Bits installed on barrel.

Man do I hate waiting for stock finishes to dry.

Attachments

• IMG_3646.JPG
    IMG_3646.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3650.JPG
    IMG_3650.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Shot the Colt Special M1861 at 50 yds w/ "military" load of 60 grains and lubed Minie ball in home-rolled paper cartridges. Prints nine inches high and two inches left. Have to think about whether or not to just leave it be for now. Based on the way the rifle sounds and feels when shot, my guess is it would be happier with a heavier load. Will have to make up some new cartridges with 65 grains I suppose. Though I'd rather just pour and ram than fool with first making those cartridges. I can see it for military battle use, but no great advantage for a range toy. The only sticky part is lubing those Minie ball grease grooves in the field. I'm thinking I could do that much at least at home, and roll them up lined up nose to tail in a tube of wax paper for transport to range.

Did some more shooting with the .54 Woodsrunner. I filed down the rear sight about .045”, actually used a caliper to measure. Didn’t think it would be enough, but I lucked out and it was good. Also, while I pride myself on having plenty of supplies on hand, my .50-.54 .020 patches were all but gone. I measured some strips that were supposed to be .020, but the compressed to .016. Can’t trust what the packaging says. Anyway, I have plenty of pillow ticking that’s a solid .018 compressed. Started with 65 gr of Swiss 3F at 25 yards, zero was good. Then tried 70 gr, after shooting so much yesterday my shoulder did not like the heavier charges! Went back to 60 grs and all was good. Was pleased with a better grouping at 50 yrds so it likes the pillow ticking fine. And again, like yesterday, after 15-16 shots I got 3 flyers back to back. Cleaned the bore, could feel a slight crud ring, and it started shooting straight again. Finished up with some offhand shots at 25 yards. I’m rusty and wobbly but was pleased over all.
Mink oil lube and Goex 4F prime again today.

Attachments

• IMG_2751.jpeg
    IMG_2751.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2752.jpeg
    IMG_2752.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2750.jpeg
    IMG_2750.jpeg
    924.4 KB · Views: 0
Got to the range to try out the Cotton Drill patches today, no complaints on accuracy. 5 shots up top and 4 on the bottom.

Shot a few groups but this gun has been struggling this weekend, 2 separate range trips with my "poor boy" rifle this weekend and both gave me tons of flashes in the pan.

One week before Muzzleloader season opens, So I need to sort it out quick. was hoping to tote around my 45 instead of my Kibler Colonial this year.

Attachments

• PXL_20231008_175310394~4.jpg
    PXL_20231008_175310394~4.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 0
Bought new muzzleloader magazine today.
Here you go criticizeswelcome ,so you have to remember I live in a foreign country and most chemicals for browning and such I can not by from the USA and my country does not bring it in so I’m very limited.
enjoy the photos and please be honest.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpeg
    IMG_0241.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0239.jpeg
    IMG_0239.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0238.jpeg
    IMG_0238.jpeg
  • IMG_0237.jpeg
    IMG_0237.jpeg
  • IMG_0236.jpeg
    IMG_0236.jpeg
  • IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
Here you go criticizeswelcome ,so you have to remember I live in a foreign country and most chemicals for browning and such I can not by from the USA and my country does not bring it in so I’m very limited.
enjoy the photos and please be honest.
No criticisms here.

And for not having browning solution, the barrel looks nice.

If your country imports Muriatic Acid, Hydrogen Peroxide and 0000 Steel Wool, you can make a very good rusting solution.

Look up JWS Blades online and take a look at the recipe. I made a batch many years ago. A little goes a long way.

You can also use the solution to turn Beech/Birch a dark maroon to an almost black. Apply it to the wood, let it dry and apply heat to it.

The JWS Blades video starts out with a guy making a knife in his foundry. So you know you found the right video.

Back