• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went through an old ammo can that I had painted up with King George's cypher...and wouldn't you know it, I have a supply of powder!

I guess I wasn't too dumb when I put it away...well sealed cans of original Goex in with a few good sized desiccant pellets. Looks like I have about three quarters of a lb of 4f and just over a lb of 2f to get my Colonial started off right. :)

Pic "just 'cause" :D

1000003514.jpg

I refinished and sighted in a Jukar pistol today. The pistol arrived with a small crack near the rear ramrod thimble and had its front sight installed backwards; I’ve also never particularly cared for stocks “in the blonde”, so I sanded and stained it with an ebony stain. It took me a fair amount of filing and drifting of sights to get it sighted in (at 13 yards), but I got there.

Attachments

• IMG_1321.jpeg
    IMG_1321.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1319.jpeg
    IMG_1319.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1317.jpeg
    IMG_1317.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Had time for one more shop project this afternoon before I ran out of steam, but I didn’t want to do anything highly technical. I was given a French Opinel folding knife 5-6 years ago as a gift and I’ve never used it because I thought it was too shiny. I sanded off the old finish and scuffed up the blade. Applied some blueing to tone down the metal shine and put some antique stain on the wood and my oil & turpentine finish. Didn’t really change it much, but I think it looks better. Now it has a new home in my range box.
Thad, I've got one of these also, great patch cutters!

Shot the barrels to see where they was hitting at. Going to have to file the flats between the barrels on a taper of 1/16" to the muzzles. Left to right is about a 1/4" off center to the right on the bottom barrel. Center to center is 1.2" Should be .875. Shooting was done at 30'. Will file, clamp and recheck with laser sighter to see how close before tack soldering and shooting.

Attachments

• 20240603_092427.jpg
    20240603_092427.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240603_092749.jpg
    20240603_092749.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Thanks Tom! I keep an assortment of old wood screws on hand, not as many as I’d like to have, but I was able to find a pair of short ones that just stopped short of the butt plate screw. I change my mind about metal finish every day. I haven’t browned anything in a while, so I was leaning towards that. Now I’m leaning towards a dark Jax Black blue. But I’m going to consider a fire blue also. And I lost my nice screw indexing. The front screw was sitting slightly proud, after I hit it with the countersink again it’s nice and flush, but it took another 1/4 turn! Oh well. And I use beeswax on the threads.
was going to say you could shorten the screw a bit to get it to index, but remembered who i was talking too:doh:

today i have been chair bound until now. raining like crazy so can't do anything outside like shooting my flintlocks.
FedEx just delivered a box of goodies from Carole at track of the wolf that I ordered on the 9th and UPS lost. now i can proceed with my Isaac Haines.
trimmed the forearm rails yesterday to even the reveal on the swamped barrel. not sure but i think i up screwed and took too much.
slept on it and now will go see if i have to lower the inletting. haven't bored the RR hole yet so have space.
Starting to think i should just stick to kits. losing the drive needed for a plank build.
maybe its the weather. raining sideways now. out to the shop i go.

was going to say you could shorten the screw a bit to get it to index, but remembered who i was talking too:doh:

today i have been chair bound until now. raining like crazy so can't do anything outside like shooting my flintlocks.
FedEx just delivered a box of goodies from Carole at track of the wolf that I ordered on the 9th and UPS lost. now i can proceed with my Isaac Haines.
trimmed the forearm rails yesterday to even the reveal on the swamped barrel. not sure but i think i up screwed and took too much.
slept on it and now will go see if i have to lower the inletting. haven't bored the RR hole yet so have space.
Starting to think i should just stick to kits. losing the drive needed for a plank build.
maybe its the weather. raining sideways now. out to the shop i go.
Glad you got your Track shipment! Why I didn’t just hit the head of the screw with a file a few times to flush it is a mystery. Obviously had my mind somewhere else, but I’ll work to get them re-indexed.

Just piddling in the shop. Too hot to do much else. Polished up the SMR trigger group and got the working surfaces of the set trigger and trigger arm nice and shiny to match the sear. And finished polishing the trigger guard. Still can’t decide on what type of metal finish to go with.

Attachments

• IMG_3928.jpeg
    IMG_3928.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3927.jpeg
    IMG_3927.jpeg
    784.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3929.jpeg
    IMG_3929.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Just piddling in the shop. Too hot to do much else. Polished up the SMR trigger group and got the working surfaces of the set trigger and trigger arm nice and shiny to match the sear. And finished polishing the trigger guard. Still can’t decide on what type of metal finish to go with.
dang. thats some good work. congrats

"We" decided to wrap the barrel and stock...excuse moi...forend...with stiff copper wire OR leather...anything to hold it together long enough to shoot it...twice. There are zero scratches on the frizzen...never been shot?

Shot my Frontier caplock tonight, there is a 12" round blue steel plate on our range that sits on a hill 125 yards out. It's one of 2 favorite targets of mine at the club. The other is a big wooden buffalo with a red steel heart hanging in the middle of it. Today was very very windy, 50+ mph. Not my favorite weather for shooting but I think it's good to know how to shoot in real world conditions, hence another reason I shoot year round in all weather. I shot some of the 50-75 yd steel gongs for a bit and then went after the little blue plate. It took me 3 or 4 shots to hit it but then I nailed it 5 times in a row. What I am trying to do is learn to read the grass when the wind is gusting. Not easy to do but worth the effort if you can get on to it. Might sound weird but it worked for me to get the windage figured out. I think some of those hits were MLB worthy curve balls!

Anyhow, I had the blue plate special for supper tonight... :)

June 3rd 1824.jpg

I committed a muzzleloading sin yesterday.. My wife and I shot in our club's monthly match and I came home and set my 3 guns off to the side and forgot about them until about an hour ago! The fouling all around the nipples had turned white and looked awful. It was caked on pretty bad but thankfully they cleaned up ok!

I committed a muzzleloading sin yesterday.. My wife and I shot in our club's monthly match and I came home and set my 3 guns off to the side and forgot about them until about an hour ago! The fouling all around the nipples had turned white and looked awful. It was caked on pretty bad but thankfully they cleaned up ok!
Disaster averted!

Latest posts

Back