• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays project

Attachments

• ph2.JPG
    ph2.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 0
Shot my Frontier caplock tonight, there is a 12" round blue steel plate on our range that sits on a hill 125 yards out. It's one of 2 favorite targets of mine at the club. The other is a big wooden buffalo with a red steel heart hanging in the middle of it. Today was very very windy, 50+ mph. Not my favorite weather for shooting but I think it's good to know how to shoot in real world conditions, hence another reason I shoot year round in all weather. I shot some of the 50-75 yd steel gongs for a bit and then went after the little blue plate. It took me 3 or 4 shots to hit it but then I nailed it 5 times in a row. What I am trying to do is learn to read the grass when the wind is gusting. Not easy to do but worth the effort if you can get on to it. Might sound weird but it worked for me to get the windage figured out. I think some of those hits were MLB worthy curve balls!

Anyhow, I had the blue plate special for supper tonight... :)

View attachment 325156
Shot my Frontier caplock tonight, there is a 12" round blue steel plate on our range that sits on a hill 125 yards out. It's one of 2 favorite targets of mine at the club. The other is a big wooden buffalo with a red steel heart hanging in the middle of it. Today was very very windy, 50+ mph. Not my favorite weather for shooting but I think it's good to know how to shoot in real world conditions, hence another reason I shoot year round in all weather. I shot some of the 50-75 yd steel gongs for a bit and then went after the little blue plate. It took me 3 or 4 shots to hit it but then I nailed it 5 times in a row. What I am trying to do is learn to read the grass when the wind is gusting. Not easy to do but worth the effort if you can get on to it. Might sound weird but it worked for me to get the windage figured out. I think some of those hits were MLB worthy curve balls!

View attachment 325156

View attachment 325156
My hats off to you brother.you are getting it done.you did good

I really enjoyed watching the bit on the Federal Hill Festival on your channel yesterday, Mark. It’s nice to be able to experience an event in the comfort of your own living room that you were unable to attend in person. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks my friend....I absolutely LOVE attending & filming those type events.
I have another similar one I attended a few weeks ago to post soon.
Keep on shooting brother......

Took Lurch to town to an Eye DR cataract surgery follow up.
while sitting and twiddling my thumbs my sis called.
seems her daughter and son in law drove out from Ohio last week while i was in California burying people.
son in law is a retired AF Bird Colonel. we get along except for him saluting me and calling me sir.
for recreation and fun he goes to yard sales and swap meets.
since i timed the burials just right i missed them but He left some stuff he thought i might like.
did i say i always liked him even if he was AF?
besides the mags and books shown there are how to's about knives, and almost all the "book of buckskinning" series.
now i have no excuse not to build a walnut stocked rifle or three!
just happened to have three barrels looking for homes.
what to build?:dunno:

Attachments

• 20240604_164510.jpg
    20240604_164510.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240604_164455.jpg
    20240604_164455.jpg
  • 20240604_204050.jpg
    20240604_204050.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I really enjoyed spending time this morning with all these lovely girls helping a film crew out to promote the history of ol' Washington, KY. Some of them participated in the Federal Hill video posted recently. As a rookie film editor myself, I really admired all the cool equipment those folks were using today. I can't wait to see the final product.

View attachment 325195
Lordy! Who's the pretty thing in the doorway, holding the long rifle?:D Just kidding! Love your work and dedication to the black powder arts brother. Keep up the great work.:thumb:

Cheers, Pete.

for lack of a better forum, i will post this psa here. this foundation was established in memory of my dearest niece. the good die to soon and us old miserable jerks just keep on keeping on.
summer is upon us, and this is ever present, worse than taxes.

Condolences on the loss of your niece. Losing a co-worker spurred me on to doing a cancer fundraising bike ride for 15 years.

I'll add my voice here too...part of my job deals with nasty stuff, but the one most folks don't seem to know about is radon. Next leading cause of lung cancer behind smoking, and most folks barely know it exists and could be in their home or workplace.

Wear a hat, wear sunscreen / cover up and test for radon, that is all ;)

Well, I've thrown this up all over, so I may as well do it here too.... time to let the Tung oil cure.

It's not as light as I had originally envisaged (I was originally thinking something like the Plains rifle in my avatar), but in working up colors and processes with my test blocks, I fell in love with this color. It sure looks nice in the sunlight. :)

325498-1000003533.jpg

Got all the SMR metal, except the barrel, blued with Jax Black. Took the easier way out doing that, but I did put a much darker finish on the parts than I have in the past. Probably can’t tell from the photos, but I was able to get similar shades on everything.

Attachments

• IMG_3940.jpeg
    IMG_3940.jpeg
  • IMG_3941.jpeg
    IMG_3941.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3942.jpeg
    IMG_3942.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3943.jpeg
    IMG_3943.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Got all the SMR metal, except the barrel, blued with Jax Black. Took the easier way out doing that, but I did put a much darker finish on the parts than I have in the past. Probably can’t tell from the photos, but I was able to get similar shades on everything.
TDM you covered up all that nicely polished metal you spent that time on .lol looks good 😉is the one your sending me .

TDM you covered up all that nicely polished metal you spent that time on .lol looks good 😉is the one your sending me .
Couldn’t stand the parts just lying there so I reassembled the lock. Up close you can still see the polish. But please look past my extremely crude attempt to star the cock screw. My hands just aren’t steady enough now.

Attachments

• IMG_3944.jpeg
    IMG_3944.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3945.jpeg
    IMG_3945.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3946.jpeg
    IMG_3946.jpeg
    679.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3947.jpeg
    IMG_3947.jpeg
    966.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3948.jpeg
    IMG_3948.jpeg
    813.3 KB · Views: 0
Couldn’t stand the parts just lying there so I reassembled the lock. Up close you can still see the polish. But please look past my extremely crude attempt to star the cock screw. My hands just aren’t steady enough now.
TDM you did a very nice job it looks good ,we need a hobby and really need to keep busy and out of you know who’s hair and other than that it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks .As long as you know who is happy life is good right .

Latest posts

Back