• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What was your first muzzloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CVA Hawken .50 percussion . Bought it used at a gun shop for $90. The wood and brass looked real nice, but the bore was rusted. Cleaned it up, changed the nipple since the one on it was rusted shut, and shot it, alot. It will still show a bit of rust on a patch, now and then, but it shoots good. I thought about getting a new barrel, but the barrel would cost more than the original price, so I'll just let it be. I learned alot with it. I don't think I could ever give it up. I don't shoot it very often, anymore, I just take it out and clean it every now and then.

A potato gun made from a PVC pipe. Second was a Dixie 32 caliber Mountain Rifle.

SP

My dad bought me a Hawkins 50 cal. fourty years ago (nipple gun) ... I have since moved on to flinters ... 50 cal. Lancaster, 62 cal smoothbore (custom built) and a 54 trade gun that I use for trekking (its not pretty but its a good gun) :thumbsup:

A potato gun made from a PVC pipe.
SP
When I was 10, my brother and a friend and I used to make "tennis ball cannons" out of soda cans and fueled with rubbing alcohol :D

My first ML was a TC Hawken .50 with tiger-striped stock. I was 13 when Dad called me into his Den one november afternoon (we weren't allowed to call it the "gun room" for safety concerns). He showed me a .45 swivel breech and the T.C.and told me I could pick one for Christmas. I immediately went for the TC because of the pretty stock. Well Dad proceeded to show me how the swivel breech worked, the advantages of a quick 2nd shot, etc. but I said "its only a .45...". "Don' underestimate a .45" he said. But I wanted the .50 and sure enough, it was wrapped under the tree Christmas morning. But, to my surprise, there was also wrapped a Remington 581 bolt-action .22 :D
Have 'em both today, of course!

15 Years ago I bought T/C Rennegade percussion and I love that little gun.I shoot a Chambers longrifle now but that T/C Still holds a warm spot in my heart. :front:

Dixie Gun Works TN Mtn. Rifle, left-hand flintlock in .50 cal. It was heavier than I could hold, but boy, it shot, and it was reliable, too. Sold it many years ago. I learned a lot about shooting flintlock from that rifle. I don't miss it, though.

Cruzatte

1970: EMF "Kentuckian", Flintlock, .45 caliber. Made in Italy.
I also bought a .44 cal, steel frame 1851 Colt, also made in Italy.
They both shot great. :thumbsup:

First one ever was a Spesco .36 Navy revolver, in about 1966 or 67. It was a gift from my parents, and I still have it. First one I bought for myself was a T/C Hawken .50, in the mid-70's. Took my first deer with that one, and still have it, too, as well as a gunsafe full of others.

The first one Was giving to me by my dad about 5 yrs ago. A TC hawken flint. He bought it in the latter 70's
Lehigh..

First one be blowed, it's the next one that interests me. What I need is a shopping opportunity :thumbsup:

A little .32 CVA Squirrel rifle, built from a kit then later completely re-built from "scratch" to accomodate my long arms and neck. Next were several built from scratch derringers in different styles. Shot for 15 years before finally buying my first completely finished smokepole.

...The Kansan...

When I was a kid in the 50s I'd cap a lead pipe, drill a hole in the top and work a firecracker fuze thru the hole to fire pebbles or whatever...does that count? :youcrazy: In high school (ca. 1960) a buddy had a Zouave replica we used to shoot in an old strip mine. The first real ML I ever bought was a H&A underhammer in about 1970. Built my first one in 1978.

My first was a CVA Colonial Kit my grandmother got for me when I graduated college. It was one of the old spanish kunkers but it hooked me. A year or so later I bought a Navy Arms Hawken Hunter. It was a .58 with an i 1/8 inch barrel. Good shooting rifle but you could use it for bench pressing if you could not find any weights. :)

My first all round/competition rifle was a CVA Mountain Rifle kit that I picked up just after they first came out. I restocked it later with a Leman style stock. I still have it around but don't shoot it much any more. I do mostly flint these days.

in 1969 or 1970, I bought a kit from Dixie...described as an old 28 ga. bbl, old trigger guard, old butt plate, old lock w/new hammer, new wood and new trigger...old metal ramrod...they said the old parts had been discovered in a warehouse somewhere....got it together, really proud of it and decided to get bp and caps..took the nipple out to take with me to be sure I got right sized caps and crossed the threads when I put it back in...subsequently screwed it up completely. Put it in a consignment shop that tourists hit with a sign "guaranteed not to shoot" (NYC tourists) and sold it for $25 the first weekend...kit cost $14.95...bought and still have and use a CVA Mtn rifle...
Hank

A T/C New Englander .50 caliber. I got it as a gift in kit form. That was about 1988 I guess.

Back