• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What was your first muzzloader?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems almost everyone started with a T/C or CVA. I guess I'm one of the few here who is so new to muzzleloading that I started with a Lyman Trade Rifle (Percussion - .50 cal).
I think my next one will be a Tulle Fusil, .69 smoothbore. Gotta save some scarce bucks first though, even for a kit or "in the white" gun.

mike

uGH! It's been so long. Let's see, the first one I ever shot was an original .36 Southern Mountain Poor Boy. The first one I ever owned was a reproduction .58 Remington Zouave. I used to shot buffalo busters out of it. My first cap and ball revolver was a brass frame .31 1849 colt from E.M.F..

Just :m2c:

My first was a custom built flintlock, 45 cal. using a Douglas barrell. Seems like I paid 100.00 for it. Looking back now it was pretty crude but it shot and hooked me. That was about 30 years ago. That rifle was stolen during a burglary 20 years ago. Sure wish I still had it.

wheelockhunter,
Mine was an Investarms percussion .50 cal Hawkin
from Cabella's. My last gun bought is a Lyman Flint GPR
and i love it.
snake-eyes :front:

We had a Hardware Hank store back in the '70s. Dad ordered a .45 Kentucky Rifle kit to build for the Bicentennial. I finally put it together when I got out of the Navy in '85. It was a piece of junk Ultra-Hi kit. I got anxious to shoot as I was building it, so found a CVA Mountain Rifle in a gun shop and bought that. So the first one I owned was the Ultra-Hi, but the first one I was able to use was the CVA. Named her Ursalla last year after bagging my first bear with her.

My first was a Cabelas .58 "hawken looking" flintlock left handed. Couldnt make it shoot to save my life. Sold it at a gun show. Wish I had it back now, as I think from this point on, almost all my ML purchases will be flintlocks. Latest gun is a Caywood NW trade gun which I love. Next gun I think will be a .54 flinter long rifle, fur trade era with a heavier barrel.

Jeff

Mine was an original .30 cal halfstock percussion squirrel rifle I bought in an antique shop in Pittsford, Vermont about 1951 (for $45). It had a 40" octagonal barrel, back action lock marked Kelker Brothers, Harrisburg (PA) (hardware and gun parts dealers) and came with a two-cavity mold (one round, one sugarloaf bullet). Stock was walnut with faux grain figure, mountings were german silver. Nice rifle, sold it a couple of years ago.

Cabela's Hawken, 50 cal. percussion. Very accurate and fun to shoot. Wish I still had it.

I started in 1980 with new TC Hawkins still have it along with several other flinters and a few perc. guns

A Navy Arms Zouave rifle bought in 1967. Couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it. Sold it to a friend who had some trigger work done on it and changed to a new style minie ball. He was in NSSA and won lots of trophies with it.

traditions kentucky rifle kit. My parents gave it to me for christmas when I was 12 or 13. She aint pretty but she served me well.I still have her. Aint shot her in years maybe I ought to brake her out and blow the dut out the barrel.

Markwell Arms .50cal kit. Paid $39.95 plus shipping from whatever mail order house I was using at the time. It came assembled but unfinished so it was an easy build. Just light sanding and finish the parts. I blued the barrel with Birchwood Casey cold blue paste. It was all I could get my hands on. (I was in Spain at the time. Got interested in BP by watching the Spanish Olympic Team practice at the Base Range.) Stock finish was something I bought in Torrejon de Ardoz at a little sporting goods shop. That is also where I got my powder. Never did know what granulation it was...but it was pretty course and very dirty. Caps were made with a TAP-O-CAP. The rifle shot. I could hit a paper plate at 100 yards 1 out of 5 shots. After I came back to the States, someone offered me $100 for it. I took the money and bought a CVA Big Bore Mt. Rifle kit. Still have it.

Back