• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your favorite style of muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slamfire, they haven't asked me either. I think in '07 it's right up the road in St. Louis...what a perfect opportunity for them to ask me!!! A Cecil Brooks rifle would be nice..

If I had to pick one, right now it would be a rifle of Tennessee or Southern Mountain style in 45 cal. I also have a fondness for the Bedford County style of rifle.

For hunting I prefer 54 and after taking my deer with a 45 this year I'll go back to the 54. I sure would like to trade my 54 cal., Jack Garner, Leman, flint for a 54 cal. Jaeger before next deer season!

For years it was my Gun Works Hawken in 54 cal. I compared some pictures of it to the 10 or 11 original Hawkens in Cody and it's very, very, very close to several of those originals.

Vic

Lancaster school. Love them clean, straight lines. I also really like the Armstrong rifles. Something about those curvy butts on the Lehighs and Berks rifles I just don't care much for them... although, that Kettenburg rifle on TOW's website is incredible! If I were going to own a gun from that school, that's what I'd want it to look like... did you notice how slim the forend is on that gun? You can't hardly see any wood when viewed from the top! Amazing!

I especially like the garish, baroque gaudiness of that Fordney rifle with the fancy checkering on the wrist and the silver pins in the squares and all of the pretty engraving... man, that dude knew how to build a pretty gun!

Well the title of this post says muzzleloader, not rifle so I will tender my hands down favorite - the fusil de chasse. A sleder, elegant firearm that, in kit form, is just barely within my affordability range. I very much enjoy my Lyman .50 cal, percussion Trade Rifle but really covet the fusil. mike

After reading some of the comments I went to TOW's website to see what you guys are talking about.WOW....Nice guns,they make mine look like firewood :bow: :grin:

If I must state one style that I like most, its the percussion Hawkens as originally designed and built by J&S in St. Louis, in the curly maple. If I had the skills and time and the SKILLS, I would build one of the Hawken Shop Jim Bridger models.

But I have the Thompson Center Hawken for a starter and am well pleased with its looks and condition. NOTE, I do know the difference between the original style Hawkens and the rifle that Thompson Center calls Hawkens.

I like full stock finters the best. I guess my favorite style would be a Tennesse. Simple, slim lines with enough drop in the stock so they come up with the sights lined.

The next favorite would be the plain Lancasters for all the same reasons.

Well,

I currently don't have a favorite one, but have been lost in the world of smoothbore flinters and matchlocks for the last few years....

They each speak to me in a differant way, I realy like my new doglock bunderbuss, it's short, stout, and robust, I like the funky looks of my 1450's arquebus, the slim lines and light weight of my 24 ga trade gun, the lines of my light officer fusil and the killer wood on my full stock flint J Hawkins heavy rifle... (ok this one has lands and grooves. :winking:)

It's so hard to like one over the other... :redface:

Cheers,

DT

Cecil Brooks certainly builds a nice rifle does'nt he? If Dick Cheney decides to give up hunting maybe you could talk him out the rifle Cecil made for him! :rotf:

I got to see Cecil Brooks present two rifles. The first was to Charlton Heston in St. Louis back in the mid-80's and the other was to Rush Limbaugh in Nashville a couple years later. Our seats were about 30 feet from the stage both times and from that distance the rifles sure looked grand!

Vic

That must have been quite a sight. Especially when Mr. Hesto was given his. I'd have given a paycheck to have been there and seen that! I can't even begin to say how much that man has done for us gun owners. My thoughts and prayers go to him. He's quite the patriot and one fine gentleman.

Having said that and not wanting to get oof track. For a traditiona flintlock I like the lines of the John Philip Beck rifle. But when I do cross over to flints I'm going to have a fullstock Hawken made for me.

As far as my favorite rifle, it would be a late model S. Hawken with some touches from Tristam Campbell. That's what my last one was built after.

That must have been quite a sight. Especially when Mr. Heston was given his. I'd have given a paycheck to have been there and seen that! I can't even begin to say how much that man has done for us gun owners. My thoughts and prayers go to him. He's quite the patriot and one fine gentleman.

Having said that and not wanting to get oof track. For a traditiona flintlock I like the lines of the John Philip Beck rifle. But when I do cross over to flints I'm going to have a fullstock Hawken made for me.

As far as my favorite rifle, it would be a late model S. Hawken with some touches from Tristam Campbell. That's what my last one was built after.

That must have been quite a sight. Especially when Mr. Heston was given his. I'd have given a paycheck to have been there and seen that! I can't even begin to say how much that man has done for us gun owners. My thoughts and prayers go to him. He's quite the patriot and one fine gentleman.

Having said that and not wanting to get off track. For a traditional flintlock I like the lines of the John Philip Beck rifle. But when I do cross over to flints I'm going to have a fullstock Hawken made for me.

English Sporting Rifle. Do I have one yet, no. Will I, you bet! Some folks claim that the English Sporting Rifle influenced the design of the plains rifles. To me, they point and feel like a well balanced shotgun.

Lets see.
Late Lancasters, southern Tenns, New Egland fowlers, Christian springs, J Becks..
What the heck
I WANT ONE OF EACH :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Don't have a favorite style, just a bunch that I really like, Hawkins, Tennessee, Southern long rifle, 1803 harpers ferry, lancaster. All of these trip my trigger.

Othern

I love the looks of the Lehigh rifles, but my favorite are the early southern rifles that look similar to the fowlers, but with rifle features. I'll make or buy one someday!

A good ol' Tennessee Poorboy style is my favorite style of rifle. I do like Hawken style as well, the hooked breech makes em' easy to keep clean. What ever style it has to be a flintlock. Caliber wise I like the 40 for general shooting and the 50 for big game. If I could only own one caliber though I'd go with the 40 because here in TN. it's legal for deer and it'll work on all the other smaller stuff fine too. I would like a 62 smooth bore someday, just for Turkey and such.

Afriend of mine has an Issac Haines with a nice piece of curly maple that will catch your eye and a GREAT shooter to boot.I also kinda like the looks of the French Tulle.I don't know much about them but another friend has one and it has turned my head on occasion.

Back