• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your favorite style of muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was wondering what your favorite style muzzleloading rifle and caliber is for hunting or just shooting is. IE: J.P. Beck, J. Dickert, H.E.Leman, Hawken etc.

For an all around rifle, John Armstrong architecturally is second to none. For offhand work, a half-stock Hawken style with a heavy barrel.

SP

I like Hawkin style rifles.The four I have are all 54 cals.Never have shot any other style but would like to.Dont know any traditional shooters to try another style.I think I live on the island of Inlines.Somebody please vote me off the island :haha:

Want to see a real beautiful Berks County rifle? Punch up Track of The Wolf and then go to the Flintlock section and veiw the piece of art by Eric Kettenburg. It's absolutely gorgeous!!

flyboy said:
Want to see a real beautiful Berks County rifle? Punch up Track of The Wolf and then go to the Flintlock section and veiw the piece of art by Eric Kettenburg. It's absolutely gorgeous!!
Just looked at it...only $10,000...decided to buy it but just as I reached for my wallet I saw the short LOP...can't use it...guess I'll just stick with my TC Hawken Flintlocks...shucks!

Roundball, I never said anyting concerning affordabilty, I just wanted to point out a real piece of art to a guy who likes Berks County rifles. Hell, I'd like to have a Hawken built by Keith Casteel but There's just no way I could ever afford it! Unless of course, I won the lotto!!!!

flyboy said:
Unless of course, I won the lotto!!!!

Same here...fancy muzzleloaders aren't important enough for me to spend hard earned big money on to use them the way I use them...never been one for glitz and glamour...and while fancy stocks are pretty, it's the hardware that puts down the bucks...

Amen to that brother, could'nt agree with you more. But I do like a nice stick of wood! Preferably if it's curly maple!!

By the way Roundball, what's your favorite style of rifle?

flyboy said:
Amen to that brother, could'nt agree with you more. But I do like a nice stick of wood! Preferably if it's curly maple!!

By the way Roundball, what's your favorite style of rifle?

Got a houseful of TC Hawken Flintlocks...accurate & reliable, do everything I need when I need it.
I've seen a couple of Issac Haines that caught my eye...pretty without being gaudy

Give me a flintlock southern hog rifle. no fancy frills and iron mounted. Guns like that wrote a bunch of history and put a lot of food on the table.

Lehigh guns. Berks county guns a close second, especially anything from the Kutztown area. :winking:

flyboy said:
I was wondering what your favorite style muzzleloading rifle and caliber is for hunting or just shooting is. IE: J.P. Beck, J. Dickert, H.E.Leman, Hawken etc.

Lessee. Flint, long barrel, single trigger, .54 caliber would be the basics. The more practical stock designs are not necessarily the most fun to shoot. Hunting is as much about carrying the rifle for eight or ten hours as it is about the final shot. When the opportunity arrives it's important whatever style fits you, and that it hasn't worn you out dragging it over hill and yon.

I like the Lehigh/Northampton. I spend a lot of time admiring the rifle. If someone wants to throw a Dickert/Lancaster or a Beck/Lebanon this way I promise to like them, too.

Depends, right now it is flintlock smoothbores. A few years ago it was caplock Hawken style rifles. Then for a while it was flintlock longrifles. But right now flinter smoothies.

Right now I like the Berk's, Reading County, Henry Mauger best. In general I like Buck's County, Lehigh too.

A plain gun with the roman nose type stock and a 38 inch barrel. What used to be called a Kentucky. I don't know what they would call it today with all of the different descriptions in use now. No fancy patchbox needed. No carving or frills. A good lock, triggers, and barrel in a nice well finished piece of wood.

My favorites are the ones the NRA gives away each year at the convention. I wish they'd hurry up and invite me to be the keynote speaker, I've been waiting since 1948. :haha:

Sure we would all want some of those fancy hand made rifles but living back in reality I'll take my Lymans GPR 54.1/60. It's just a clean good looking gun that shoots well.
Bob

Back