• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where can you Shoot, what is the travel time, and cost to shoot.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akapennypincher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well my personal option have gone from (3) to ONLY (1) as TWO of our local Ranges have been shut DOWN by the Safety Police, following incident where Rounds ALLEGEDLY Left the Range Property. :bull:

One of the Close Range was within 5 minute of home, and I was allowed to shoot there for FREE with a Friend who spent his life there, the other closed Range was 20 minutes, and $20.00 for Membership.:hmm:

The last Range that is STILL OPEN is $5.00/Day & a 30 -40 Minute Drive each way.:blah:

I personally SUSPECT that both Closed Range that are both on LEASED LAND are just being SHUT DOW so that the Land can be sold off for homes. As both incident that CAUSED the Safety Concerns, see a little fishy. plus they could have been from ILLEGAL SHOOTER who were not shooting on the Ranges, but in the OPEN Desert that Borders Both RANGES....
:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

I have to drive one hour and it cost $5.00 a day. Land here is too valuable to be used as a range.

Free off the deck. My old man can shoot his big guns to 1000 yards.
Plus the grill is only five steps away.
Im lucky I guess.

Boone

Closest range is 8 miles away and is $10.00 per day or $115.00 for a season pass. At my current rate, I should buy a season pass.

Yep, sometime we don't realize how lucky we are.
1000s and 1000s of acres 5 mins from my house that I can shoot anywhere and anytime I want for free.

drive 20 mins to my club, range fee is $5.00 (US price is about 4 bucks) and annual membership is 50.00 or about 40.00 US.
Plus I have other places I can go hunting, cost is free travel time 45-60 mins each way.

Ohio DNR public range.
Drive time 30 minutes one way.
Cost $5 per day or $24 for a year.
I go with the $24 because I shoot almost every weekend.

HD

Five minutes from home, club range at $25 a year. I go during the week so most times I'm there alone. Can't ask for better than that.

I used to shoot ducks out my back door..if they got too close to the bank..now I have to drive over an hr. to shoot. No cost..free public range.

5 minutes to the Club range: $100/yr Keycard access. Not a member yet. Free ML shoot 1st sunday of every month.

2 DNR operated ranges (free) 40 mi away on different Fish & Wildlife public hunting parks.

PA has free public ranges on state game lands....25 minite ride to the one i use....just gotta be out of there by dark............bob

Well, I could shoot right off the back porch for nothing but the cost of powder and lead. Instead I drive about 30 minutes to the county range and pay my $2 fee to shoot all day.

It is the only 'formal' range in the whole county and appreciates even my lousy $2 to help keep them in the black. Marked ranges at 25 yard intervals out to 500 yards, gongs out to 125 yards, nice tables, separate section for handguns, over head shade (very important!)... not a bad setup for the rural setting we have. I usually go on weekdays to avoid the crowd... might be three guys there on a busy Tuesday (including the range master) while the weekend will see all dozen or so shooting positions filled up.

That $2 rate is one given to people who are members of any one of the local clubs that provide volunteer staff to run the range. I pay about $20 per year to be a member of the local ML group, so you add that pro-rated cost to the range fee if you want to slice the pieces of eight.

Been shooting at a little privately owned action pistol club range out in the country for about 20 years...owner bulldozed a strip across a field with a berm at the other end for rifle sight in's...doesn't really charge me a membership but I give him $100/year.

It's a 60 mile round trip and I basically shoot every weekend year round except deer season, get there at first light and have the place to myself, pole shed covers a simple shooting table, usually gone before anybody else shows up to shoot pistols.

(He also owns a posted farm and let's me hunt it for free, although I do things for him and his family occasionally throughout the year...gift certificates for a steakhouse, Christmas Ham and presents for the family, etc.)

Just went Turkey hunting on the farm this morning then drove over to the range, shot a session with a Flinter...life is good
:thumbsup:

About a 20 min. drive each way and $3 per hour. It's a great, safe, and well supervised facility. Although it is mostly used by people shooting conventional arms, they are friendly to bp shooting and even let me shoot my matchlock.

The new club range is 3-1/2 miles from home. 25-50-100 and 300 yard distances. Each distance there is a 60ft long building and with a roof. All EPA approved and it took 9 years to get approval to build. It is a $200.00 year membership though. I shot 4 days this week and 3 days other weeks to get my moneys worth.

I'am a member of the Somerset Sportsmans Club. It's about a ten min drive from home. We have two trap fields, a 25, 50, 100, 200, and 300 yard ranges there as well as 200 achers to hunt. It costs $100.00 a year to belong. As the years pass new home developments are comming closer and closer and some day we may have to close. We are actively trying to purchace more land to the west of us and I hope we do.
By the way Pincher, where do you live?

Local gun club range has a rifle range up to 200yards and two pistol ranges. I pay $125 a year membership fees. It is about 8 miles away from my house. I seem to be the only black powder shooter there.

I'm a member of a private gunclub with 25, 50, 75, and 100 yard ranges, south of St. Louis. Membership is $150 a year, and it's about a 25 minute drive.
However, I usually shoot short ranges in the back yard.

I'm Treasurer of the GeorgeTown Black Powder & Pistol Club. It's 5 mins from home, $120 adults and $40 junior yearly fees. We have 3 ranges and shoot air pistol (10m), black powder pistol (25m)& service pistol (25m), issf pistol (25m), metallic silhouette/field pistol & rifle (25m, 50m, 75m, 100m), black powder rifle(50m, 100m). All ranges are outside but firing lines are under cover. Clubhouse & under cover BBQ area, toilets, carpark & our own dam where the ducks rest (except on shoot days) all surrounded by bush. Competition days are 1st & 3rd Sunday of the month, practice whenever you like. Great relaxed atmosphere, good bunch of blokes(and a few women). We have recently purchased the land and are currently building a 200m silhouette range.
Smokey.

Latest posts

Back