• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who hunts with a Civil War firearm?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have hunted pigs and coyotes with the 58cal rifled musket. The pics I have are of a coyote killed with a Parker Hale English made repro. In this instance I used a patched round ball and 50 grains of Goex FFg. The one pic I have of a pig I killed was with a replica Armisport 1861 Springfield with an original style minie ball and 60gr. Goex ffg. They both died where stood. The coyote was about 50yds the pig about 65yds. I also shot a rabbit with a Zouave 58cal.. The minie ball went in and out. Could eat him right up to the hole. Don't have a pic with the rabbit.

When I was a tyke there. Was an old man near the family homestead that hunted everything with a pottsdam musket his older brother carried in service of the northern invasion forces

I use to hunt with with a .58 Zouave and can verify that they do work on squirrels and don't tear them up as long as you don't hit the shoulders or hindquarters. That big ball just makes a little hole.

More recently I've hunted a few times with a US M1841 .54 rifle that I bought over 10 years ago. Killed a deer with it DRT. The rifle is exceedingly accurate.

I've done most of my hunting with civil war reproductions. I used to have a springfield 3 band that was one of the most accurate rifles I owned. I even once hit a prairie dog with it at 400 yards (that was mostly luck) but I had quite a few deer with it. The thing is where I hunt we have a lot of wide open country and need to spot and stalk a lot. I hated the giant heft and size of that thing so I sold it and replaced it with a 1861 Enfield Musketoon.

The musketoon is fun but I've had a lot of problems getting it to shoot accurately and am still working on a few. In some ways I wish I would have kept that springfield- beast as it was it sure could shoot :)

IMHO they are THE best looking US military ever issued. Heavy? Yes. Accurate? Extremely so. They don't have the graceful, delicate feel of a longrifle but I "love 'em".

if revolvers count I've hunted with both a '58 rem re-pro and a ROA for feral pig with success and a very few squack and hare.
I have a capper 'hawken' 50 cal pistol - I suppose there were the odd ones show up in CW use - I used as my 'trekking' gun on small game/bird loaded with #5 shot quite a few entrees I got w/it. at night I loaded with prb in case of whatever might show up.

hanshi said:
IMHO they are THE best looking US military ever issued. Heavy? Yes. Accurate? Extremely so. They don't have the graceful, delicate feel of a longrifle but I "love 'em".

I have come to the conclusion that this is the rifle I want real bad. Dixie has one but, the price will be hard to reach 'til after Christmas and tax time comes.

I'd love to take a deer with one. :thumbsup:

You might check out Jarnigans; that's where I got mine. Also it was close to HALF ($460 as opposed to DGW $800) what DGW wanted. Don't know if Jarnigans still sells them but it is worth checking.

Thanks, I looked at Jarnigans and they do not list the M1841. Do have some other nice stuff so, appreciate the link. :thumbsup:

I bugled in a nice 5x5 bull elk a few years ago in CO. I was in tbe foothills at about 7500 ft. Bagged him with a replica Zouave shooting a home cast minie' on top of 60 grains FF. I wouldn't do it again though. I'd use more powder. Though to be fair he made it less than 50 yards & the first shot was at 40 yards on a frontal shot. The second was broadside as he tried to limp away. He was hurt bad & I had plenty of time to shoot again. That load would hammer a deer though. That elk weighed over 700 pounds on the hoof.

CONGRADS on the elk.

My first "wee piggy" (about 75#, live weight) was taken with my cousin's Enfield repro, in about 1980 at our local scout camp, at 19 long steps. = "Porky Pig" took about 2 steps & went down, GYD.

He was BBQ/served the next day to our OA lodge brothers, as part of the "after Ordeal feast". = Everybody found him: YUMMY.

yours, satx

It's been quite a while, but I've hunted and shot deer with a custom made (Blair Taylor) Richmond RM and a PH Whitworth. Used 50 grs. fffg under 505 gr. Minie (about the same as service charge of 60 grs. ffg). in Richmond. Used 70 grs. fffg under 560 gr. cylindrical slug in Whitworth. Lot of damage there.

I did shoot a squirrel with the Richmond once. Headshot it at close range. Clean bullet hole, no meat damage. Low velocity load doesn't blow body apart even with a 500 gr. bullet.

Latest posts

Back