• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who uses their patchboxes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The patch box or cap box is where I keep my hunting apperture for the peep sight. That way I don't find myself in the stand without it.

Mine: Tow worm, ball puller, a piece of flint leather, and a feather. Dull flints that I don't want to just discard have also been known to find their way thither.

I think one original rifle was found with a couple paper cartridges in the box and another original had a series of holes of the exact size necessary to hold a patched ball - Eric Kettenburg suggested that they may have originally held balls with sewn-on patches.

I've also seen pictures of a couple rifles that had adjustable powder measures in the box, though I suspect that they were put there for long-term storage, not kept there while the rifle was in use.

In mine I have an extra nipple, a henway, a ball puller, and some patches.

I sure hope your henway isn't one of the old ones.

They had a serious defect that could cause them to fail just at the critical time.

Failure at the critical time could prove to be disastrous if you value your stuff like I do.

The new model solved the problem by adding a better grip. Unfortunately, this new grip is made out of modern plastic rather than being constructed out of natural materials like the original so it really isn't "Traditional".

Possession or use of one of the new ones at any PC gathering will undoubtedly result in someone complaining and asking you to either put it away or pay them $5. :grin:

Howdy!

Yes, I use mine to hold a bit of tow, a tow worm and ball puller. Some guys I know pack it with grease for patches or cleaning.

I would not want to keep anything in it I would need during the loading process, as I do not like adding steps for retrieving things from anything other than my shooting pouch. I shoot an early rifle (1760-1770) that has a sliding wood box lid. Would be a shame to loose the lid or the contents of the box while needing to reload fast due to Indian attack or a wounded bear.
;) :)
Or, to take longer and loose everything.
:)

My henway is historically correct, just like my hammerfor!

:grin: :blah: :grin:

Oh, about four pounds, more or less!

:haha: :rotf: :redface: :rotf:

:rotf:

OK back to the thread, I have only one patchbox on my rifles, and as it's a .40 caliber rifle, I keep the jag, the worm, a piece of leather, and two flints inside, plus there is a second compartment under the sliding, wooden lid, that holds tallow, and two round ball.

LD

None of my rifles has a patch box but if they did I would use it. My first rifle was a TC Hawken and I used to keep a couple cleaning patches a worm, ball puller and a spare jag in there. I like a patch box.

Back