• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who uses their patchboxes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those little round things I call "cap boxes" and the bigger ones I call "patch boxes". Any round ones will carry caps and a couple of patches. The patch boxes carry patches and spare flints. What neither one carries is my Snickers bar; that goes in my pocket. Not enough room for one in the patch box and I don't want to risk losing my chocolate treasure.

Wow, I wouldn't think a squirrel's foot would have much meat on it. Personally, I prefer chicken lips. :wink:

Rifleman1776 said:
The patchbox on my good flint longrifle contains the foot of a squirrel. It is the first meat the rifle every made.

An excellent article to carry in your box!

I have one of these little LED lights:

41Zi93bdWQL._SX385_.jpg

I was thinking I might put it in my patch box, but I guess not. I just checked to see if it would fit and nope, that is a no go. This little patchbox on this Hawken style rifle really is useless. I might have to get out eh router and ope it up a bit. Blasted thing.

Now THAT would be handy. One often needs a light in the early morning or late evening woods. I carry a small flashlight in my pocket for such times. I remember one time when I was in an area with pretty rough terrain when I really needed a flashlight. When I reached for mine in my pocket, I found that someone, I ain't sayin' who, put it back in my pocket with the switch in the low light position. It has two "on" positions. One is a low light and one is a high light. Whoever put it back in my pocket had left it in the low position and the battery ran down. Durn fool! I sure wish I had had some kind of back-up light. It would have made getting back to camp a lot easier with less worry of running into some cactus or falling into one of those ravines. Yep, having that little light handy is a great idea.

Yeah they are nifty little lights and you can get them for .50 cents shipped each. Here is where you can get them.
http://www.amazon.com/22000MCD-Fla...qid=1382368776&sr=8-6&keywords=keychain+light

At that price you can leave them all over the place. I have been using one now for about 4 month nd it is still as bright as when I got it.

One nice thing about these light is that the have a momentary switch as well as a switch that keeps it on. They are not the brightest light in the world, but a lot brighter than the old Mini Mag AA lights and only 50 cents each.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep the hunting size appature for my peep sight in the patch/cap box. That way I won't find myself without the larger appeture when I need it out in the woods.

While not large enough for a big Snicker bar, the larger ones can carry several chocolate kisses.

IMO, every LR should have a patchbox....not for using, just that it's a big, intricate inlay. My first built LR in 1977 has a dandy patch box.....but alas, it never contained anything. Have toyed around w/ the idea of a patch box w/o a cavity....seeing I never use it anyways......Fred

Two caps and a paper cartridge in one gun spare flint, ball puller and cleaning patches in another.

There is no such thing as a useless cap/patch box.
only one that you have not realized a use for yet

In my percussion patch box I always carried a nipple wrench the one with the sliding rod. They fit perfectly in the small patch boxes on the TC's. Add a little ticking to keep things quiet and your ready to go. :thumbsup:

These days I keep nothing in my PB. When I was younger and did a lot of camping, would keep a wound up length of fishing line, lead sinker, and a hook in the box. Figured my rifle was meant to get meat and being raised "English" enjoy fish for breakfast.

Looks like this old October thread has sprung back to life...I've never used a patchbox during the first 15 years of using guns that had them. And not being one who strictly adheres to PC/HC things, I specifically excluded them in all the the builds I eventually had done, redirecting any/all money from such things into selecting top notch super premium wood instead.
(I did buy a used Dickert several years ago which already happened to have a patchbox on it, but I've never used it either).

Back