• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who uses their patchboxes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greebe

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Like the title says, who actually uses their patchboxes?

I don't usually because I already have my shooting supplies in a bag, so there is really no need to store pathes in the patchbox.

How bout you guys?

Greebe

Gotta tell you about the time I made a bum shot and wounded a deer, then went to reload before tracking it down. Opened my bag, and no patches. Zero, zip, nadda. Got the deer, but it woulda happened quicker if I had more confidence or experience in shooting bare ball from a rifle. Got within 20 yards to do the deed, but could have ended it an hour earlier if I'd had a patch. Didn't occur to me till later that even a hunka tee shirt or my denim pant leg would have been better.

Prior to that, my patch box held all sorts of odds and ends.

Now it holds a few less odds and ends, but I keep it all quiet with a few greased patches on top of the pile before closing the lid.

My Gallagher has a patchbox. Inside it's drilled and a spare nipple is fitted. I opened it once to see what's inside over 35 years ago, and again recently, just to check if the spare is still there.

My Dad's rifle has a beautiful spring-loaded patch box with release in the toe plate. If it has patches inside, they're around 45 years old. Next time I have it out, I'll check.

The Lyman/Cabelas/ Brass-fitted half stock rifle that will incur foolish indignation should I actually call it a Hawken, (so I won't) has a heavy, cast patchbox set into the stock. I recall opening it to polish the brass when I received it from the seller (sold on the Muzzleloader Forum Classified ads) but I don't recall seeing anything inside.

Maybe I'll take a tip from the Gallagher, and drill out a recess to fit a spare nipple into ...

Thanks guys. Seems like a fair bit of you guys don't really use them either. All I have right now is a Hawken style rifle and the patchbox is virtually useless because of how small it is. Can't even put a jag in there. Now if it was one of those larger ones that might be a different story.

I might be able to put some pipe tobacco in my patchbox, but then I would need something to smoke out of and there is definitely no way I am getting one of my pipes in there. :haha:

Maybe if I brought a pipe hawk, had the tobacco in the patchbox along with some char-cloth, use the flintlock to catch a spark on the char-cloth, started a fire, then lit the pipe we would be getting somewhere. :grin:

But again, it seems like it would be easier just to keep it in my shooting bag. Hehe :doh:

I really do not use mine very much but I do miss one on the GPR. I have a few patches and n extra nipple in mine.

Geo. T.

Spare flint, one extra ball, cleaning jag, ball puller, tow worm wrapped in tow and a spare vent pick - all wrapped in patch material for quiet (and patch material).

HPIM0453.jpg

If I pass suddenly it also gives the next owner a head-start to what works and the ball size needed.

I use mine to stash money away from the wife for future gun purchases. She never looks in there its a perfect spot

Greebe I like my patch boxes .I just like to keep my other stuff in my pouch so I don't lose it .I lost a flint wallet full of goods once and that took a long time to find .Do what works for you though.Curt

I was waiting for this topic to resurface, so I took these photos. Here's what I use my patchbox for:

IMG_5941_zps2cae9867.jpg

I named my rifle Fearnaught, and it also needed it's own poem, of course.
IMG_5940_zpsb180c140.jpg

I keep a cleaning jag and patch worm in mine. That's all I use it for. It looks pretty but has little practical value for me.

Latest posts

Back