• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood Camp Stove

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strawstalker/NM

Strawstalker CO & NM
Reaction score
I am looking for an above ground wood burning cooking pit so I don't have to dig a ground pit. If anyone knows a source please drop me an E-mail. I heard that a fellow was selling stoves of this type including a hanging crane at last years Western National. Thanks, Dan

I just saw a couople this past weekend at Grassy Run in Williamsburg, OH. They were pretty good sized, almost like a double brazier, they could either fold up flat or like a box and you could store the legs and cross bar in them. They also had a swing out arm that you could put a coffee pot or skillet on. You could use charcoal or wood in them. retty nice. I'll have to find the e-mail addresses and try to find out where they got them. Give me a couple of days and if you don't hear from me, give me a shout back. Sometimes after I reply to a post, I can't find it again!!

There is one club here in Colorado that requires everyone to use an above ground fire pit. They simply use 50 gallon drums that are cut down to about 18 inches to 2 foot deep. Weld legs on the bottom and there you have it.
I prefer automotive style steel pans used for changing ones oil. The user simply puts a few bricks or flat rocks under the oil pan and builds the fire in the pan. You can use a second pan the same size to snub out fire and when hiking with a pack, the second pan fits into the first keeping your pack clean.
Regards

My scout troop uses metal garbage can lids propped up on rocks or dirt as well as the cut-down drums. If you use rocks, it still scorches the ground, as does the cut-down 55-gal drum. Another option is a piece of Forest Service fire shelter over a pile of dirt. The shelter protects the inderlying earth/loam/sticks from catching fire and smouldering under the ground and flaring up after you leave.

I prefer to cut out and save the sod and then build the fire on the ground. The biggest mistake I see people making is that they dig their fire pits too deep. This tends to make the fire burn poorly as the base can't get enough air. And forget the rocks, they look "romantic", but then you have ugly, scorched rocks to contend with. The only time we use rocks is in an established fire ring.

One last note, DEAD OUT before you leave.

Here is a link to a nice above ground stove:
[url] http://www.redhawk-trading.com/open-stove.htm[/url]

wb

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an old harrow (?) disc I got from a farmer. It's nice and heavy so that it won't burn through quickly. Just prop it up on some rocks and cook away.
Even better if you can get a second on to use as a lid, it keeps the fire under control at bedtime and often retains coals for the next morning.

You will go far, Seamus! But not with a pair of harrow disks. :rotf: Do you prefer the smooth or serrated?

They are definately not something that you would want to carry. :grin:
The serrated lends a nice decorative touch to the campfire. :)

I'll post a pic as soon as I can get it to work.

I haven't had coffee yet and my wife just got up to get me started on the latest construction project.

No more forum today!
:(

Well here is a picture of some folks using a harrow disk to cook on in Mexico.
[url] http://www.newfarm.org/columns/CSA_journal/2004/1004/images/RosaComal.jpg[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
The standard Hippie method seen at the Gathering of the Busses seems to be the interior tub of an old washing machine. All the holes provide good air flow and the ceramic doesn't rust as bad as non coated products.

You can fill the thing plumb full of wood and still be able to put a grate over the opening. Plus, it has really pretty good "spark" and clinker control.

Most I've seen were set on a "tripod" of tyre rims.

Total cost: $0.00 Hippies don't pay for anything if they can't help it. :grin:

Take 55 gal. steel drum and cut it around the circumfrence with an abrasive wheel in your skilsaw or cut-off saw if you own one(made like chainsaw but uses disks). Cut in the stiffening rib, easy does it to start the disk in. Debur with a grinder or file. Can weld legs on or set it on rocks to keep off the ground. An old oven grate will fit over top for cooking grate- works fine.

Lone Carabiner said:
Take 55 gal. steel drum and cut it around the circumfrence with an abrasive wheel in your skilsaw or cut-off saw if you own one(made like chainsaw but uses disks). Cut in the stiffening rib, easy does it to start the disk in. Debur with a grinder or file. Can weld legs on or set it on rocks to keep off the ground. An old oven grate will fit over top for cooking grate- works fine.

And this would be period correct for what era? Woodstock? :rotf:

:blah: Anywhere U ain't allowed to have a fire on the ground - such as National parks campground and some National forest, State parks and State forests, and even some private campgrounds.
And if U ain't got wood to burn charcoal does great.

Back