• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming home without a squirl from the hunt is good. In my wifes opinion...
No laughing matter. She hates me for killing anything.
Yikes!

Not putting anyone particular down on this whatsoever. If anti hunting people could understand that hunting actually helps the animal population, they would be more inclined to change their minds. I’ve witnessed the sad effects of squirrel population.

The good part was, it only takes a couple of good crop mast years for squirrel populations to rebound.

Yikes!

Not putting anyone particular down on this whatsoever. If anti hunting people could understand that hunting actually helps the animal population, they would be more inclined to change their minds. I’ve witnessed the sad effects of squirrel population.

The good part was, it only takes a couple of good crop mast years for squirrel populations to rebound.
Agree, like rats with custom tails. Squirrels are a nuisance and need culling. Hunting and trapping, maybe some predator helps are the only way to keep them from wrecking havoc..

Yikes!

I think Disney is to blame for some of that sentiment. We learned the hard way what over hunting can do to a wildlife population. I am happy to take part in the management aspect. We eat what we kill. We respect and give thanks to the Creator for allowing us to participate. Antis are allowed their opinion, but I bet they have never witnessed a doe attack a fawn when food was scarce, or areas of woods killed off from over browsing. Nature can be as cruel as it is beautiful.

I think Disney is to blame for some of that sentiment. We learned the hard way what over hunting can do to a wildlife population. I am happy to take part in the management aspect. We eat what we kill. We respect and give thanks to the Creator for allowing us to participate. Antis are allowed their opinion, but I bet they have never witnessed a doe attack a fawn when food was scarce, or areas of woods killed off from over browsing. Nature can be as cruel as it is beautiful.
Very well said.

Right on, Tom!

Dang, whats your reciepe for that delicacy?
My favorite way is fried. Piece them out, put the prices in a pressure pot, just enough water to cover,about a half dollar sized pinch of salt in your palm in the water. Let the top do it's hula dance for 10-12 minutes, place the pieces on a paper towel and pat dry. Dredge them as you would if you were frying chicken, fry the squirrel until golden brown and enjoy. If you like dark meat chicken, you'll like squirrel. The pressure pot step isn't mandatory, but I do it because it guarantees your squirrel will be tender. Dangit I'm hungry now

...My grandma made the best squirrel gravy and biscuits in 9 states...
Same here with my old grandma God rest her soul. She would cook any wild game for me [except she drew the line at snapping turtle after a particularly bad experience lol].

Her gravy was similar to what Hardee's used to serve, which is not the same now, changed for worse. There is a Southern chain called Jack's that makes what I consider authentic old Southern style gravy.

Her biscuits were the tall fluffy type, as opposed to the little flat cookie type some ladies make. Big tall biscuits aka "cat head biscuits". Perfect for gravy.

Same here with my old grandma God rest her soul. She would cook any wild game for me [except she drew the line at snapping turtle after a particularly bad experience lol].

Her gravy was similar to what Hardee's used to serve, which is not the same now, changed for worse. There is a Southern chain called Jack's that makes what I consider authentic old Southern style gravy.

Her biscuits were the tall fluffy type, as opposed to the little flat cookie type some ladies make. Big tall biscuits aka "cat head biscuits". Perfect for gravy.
Wish I could get close to some of my ma and grandmas cooking. Id be as big as a barn. But man was their stuff good.

21 days now remaining until fall squirrel hunting season here in KY.

Out of state company leaves this morning so hopefully by Monday morning I’ll be able to get back out and scout some new places to hunt. Gotta do some work to get the boat ready first.

I have a plan, you know. 😁

Last edited:
Yikes!

It's been my own observation that there are two kinds of anti hunter.

One has a sincere sympathy for the hunted animal. It's their own internalized sense of fairness on some level. They aren't usually very knowledgeable about wildlife in general but might be on some level. Some of them can be reasoned with if you wish to be a missionary and will accept the concept wildlife management if well explained.

The second one is more of a hater. They hate you for what you do. They don't care much about wildlife at all. They are happy to embrace and/or invent versions of wildlife and nature if it serves their agenda of controlling you. They will go to any lengths if it might succeed in their mission. They are organized and extract huge sums of money from the type one anti hunters. When they mount a socio/political attack they are usually successful if it's directed at type ones AND the greater number of people in highly urbanized settings who are easily swayed by their arguments but in fact it's not a serious matter to them. They are largely indifferent but will vote for what makes them feel good.

That said, large groups of people never break down into two or three simply parsed groups as I've done but outcomes for wildlife management when done by ballot box biology are predictable when the social makeup of a large voting block leans to a majority being of those two types.

One has a sincere sympathy for the hunted animal. It's their own internalized sense of fairness on some level. They aren't usually very knowledgeable about wildlife in general but might be on some level. Some of them can be reasoned with if you wish to be a missionary and will accept the concept wildlife management if well explained.

The second one is more of a hater. They hate you for what you do. They don't care much about wildlife at all. They are happy to embrace and/or invent versions of wildlife and nature if it serves their agenda of controlling you. They will go to any lengths if it might succeed in their mission. They are organized and extract huge sums of money from the type one anti hunters. When they mount a socio/political attack they are usually successful if it's directed at type ones AND the greater number of people in highly urbanized settings who are easily swayed by their arguments but in fact it's not a serious matter to them. They are largely indifferent but will vote for what makes them feel good.

That said, large groups of people never break down into two or three simply parsed groups as I've done but outcomes for wildlife management when done by ballot box biology are predictable when the social makeup of a large voting block leans to a majority being of those two types.
Well said, Mike.

Agree, some folk regardless of what you say, call you out. Just to be anti anything and draw attention to thier boring selves.

Hammer ya can just blame it on ETipp for buying a Crockett Rifle, that's what I told my wife when she asked Why did you buy that one.. ETipp made me do it..
🤔😁
Sounds familiar. When my wife asked why I needed a smoothbore .45 I blamed it on Britsmoothie.

My favorite way is fried. Piece them out, put the prices in a pressure pot, just enough water to cover,about a half dollar sized pinch of salt in your palm in the water. Let the top do it's hula dance for 10-12 minutes, place the pieces on a paper towel and pat dry. Dredge them as you would if you were frying chicken, fry the squirrel until golden brown and enjoy. If you like dark meat chicken, you'll like squirrel. The pressure pot step isn't mandatory, but I do it because it guarantees your squirrel will be tender. Dangit I'm hungry now
That's how granny taught me how to do it back in the day. Always tender. Every week while squirrels were in season, after it cooled off, it was fried squirrel and squirrel dumplin's. Good times. I want to do a write up here in the forum soon about my hunting experience as a kid. If I ever get time. Seems like lately I don't even have time to breathe. But it will get better soon and I can't wait to get back to my usual fooling with muzzleloaders, working on personal hunting projects. You know, the important stuff...

Back